Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony head unit USB issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Litewings
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Sony head unit USB issue

Just installed a MEX-M70BT. Using same USB stick I used in the previous HU (Kenwood). Only about half the songs are showing up and playing. Odly, a couple are out of sequence. Its in alphabetical order by artist, Theory of a Deadman, (just 1 out of 4 songs) plays in between 3 Doors Down and AC-DC. Almost all of the second half (N to Z) doesnt play. Looking through the troubleshooting in the manual and not finding anything. Stick does play fine on my computer and did in the Kenwood. Going to start with deleting files on the stick and reloading it. Any thoughts?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:14 AM
CVOJOE
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Litewings
Just installed a MEX-M70BT. Using same USB stick I used in the previous HU (Kenwood). Only about half the songs are showing up and playing. Odly, a couple are out of sequence. Its in alphabetical order by artist, Theory of a Deadman, (just 1 out of 4 songs) plays in between 3 Doors Down and AC-DC. Almost all of the second half (N to Z) doesnt play. Looking through the troubleshooting in the manual and not finding anything. Stick does play fine on my computer and did in the Kenwood. Going to start with deleting files on the stick and reloading it. Any thoughts?
I would start with loading a new stick and a different brand of stick and see if the head unit still had issues with the new stick

The driver software differs some from brand to brand of thumb drives. Hopefully that will be your issue.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

I always have thoughts! lol You're gonna have to convert all your files to Mp3. For whatever reason the Mex has an issue with other formats. I went through the same thing a year ago.

download this free audio converter and convert all your music to Mp3. It's worth it!

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products...-Converter.htm

Old 06-30-2016, 10:59 AM
old skool pan man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Sony MEX on a shelf...plan to keep using my Kenwood 998 after hearing of these types of issues lately with the Sony...

Old 06-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Litewings
Tourer

Deleted files on the stick and reloaded them. They are all MP3's. Thanks for the link to the converter though. Plugged it in and now can search all the songs and seems to be playing them although I have not tried them all.
Now just need to find the best sound settings on this thing.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:41 AM
old skool pan man
Cruiser

Litewings-why did you move away from the Kenwood? Which model Kenwood?

Old 06-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Litewings
Tourer

Kenwood BT558U. Changed for two reasons. Display was not readable in daytime conditions and I have always thought the general output of sound was lacking due to the 2.5v preouts. Have BT2180 amp with no external gain setting and BT7.1 speakers in the fairing.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:55 AM
old skool pan man
Cruiser

Ok. Got it. The 998 has 4V preouts. The Sony-5V preouts I believe. Keep us updated in how large of an improvement you see in sound. I had the Pros in my fairing and recently went to the Arc Moto 602's. These gave me more "warmth" than the Pros. Just my opinion and thoughts..

Old 06-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Litewings
Tourer

The Sony is noticeably louder. I ran the Kenwood on volume setting 30-32 all the time, I think it went to 35 IIRC. Have the Sony on 30 (it goes to 50) and its as loud or louder. The Kenwood may have had better sound quality but still messing with sound settings on the Sony to get the where I like it. Almost to many settings. Hard to find the perfect recipe.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:31 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

The Sony is noticeably louder. I ran the Kenwood on volume setting 30-32 all the time, I think it went to 35 IIRC. Have the Sony on 30 (it goes to 50) and its as loud or louder. The Kenwood may have had better sound quality but still messing with sound settings on the Sony to get the where I like it. Almost to many settings. Hard to find the perfect recipe.
Lite - Try these settings on the Sony!

DSEE -On
C+AUDIO OFF
Band 1 -6db
Band 2 0db
Band 3 +4db
Band 4 +2db
Band 5 +1db
Band 6 0db
Band 7 +2 db
Band 8 +4 db
Band 9 +6 db