Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Ultra System Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 03:05 AM
AdmiralAaron
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 Ultra System Overhaul

Hey guys,
I am ripping out the stock system (other than HU) and going to do a 8 speaker install. Right now here is what I am working with.
-Polk MMs for Front upper and lower fairing.
-Polk MMs for Rear touring
-Rockford Punch PBR300X4 (front fairing and rear MMs)

These are pretty straight forward and easy, but here is where I am a bit confused..... I am gong to add 6X9 in my saddlebag lids.
Can I add ANOTHER PBR300X4 to run the Lower fairing MMs AND the 6X9s?
or should I run the upper and lower fairing together and get a separate more powerful amp for the 6x9?

Also, if I run with 2 amps, how do I split the preamp signal from the HU? I am already planning on using the BT LL.

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2016, 05:48 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

I like ur plan for 8 speaks!! More is more!!!!!

I would think about a different amp and 1 way of setting it up would be a good 4 channel like the ARC 600/4 or BT4180 and run front speaks as one group, the rear and lowers as another group in parallel, then get a little micro amp like the NVX MVP4 and run that mounted in the fairing as well to power ur 6x9s bridged and u will have about 175w.

Coming out of your rear line out converter u can use 12-18" RCA "Ys" and get the signal headed to the additional amp. The NVX accepts a 2 RCA input thus reducing "Ys".

Plenty of other options especially if u don't mind putting an amp inside ur saddle bags, but for me that space is sacred so I try and jam everything into the fairing. The NVX and BT4180 will fit side by side on the JM Amp Tray under the hood. The ARC 600/4 might be a tight squeeze but that amp tray will give u about 11 1/4" clutch to brake so check the amp spec measurements if u like the concept of all amps in fairing.

T.

The following users liked this post:
AdmiralAaron (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 07:38 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by AdmiralAaron
Hey guys,
I am ripping out the stock system (other than HU) and going to do a 8 speaker install. Right now here is what I am working with.
-Polk MMs for Front upper and lower fairing.
-Polk MMs for Rear touring
-Rockford Punch PBR300X4 (front fairing and rear MMs)

These are pretty straight forward and easy, but here is where I am a bit confused..... I am gong to add 6X9 in my saddlebag lids.
Can I add ANOTHER PBR300X4 to run the Lower fairing MMs AND the 6X9s?
or should I run the upper and lower fairing together and get a separate more powerful amp for the 6x9?

Also, if I run with 2 amps, how do I split the preamp signal from the HU? I am already planning on using the BT LL.

Thanks!
Can't do it Admiral! The Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 is only 4 ohm compatible. Your Polk speakers are 2.7 ohms. Not a good combo. Aside from that the X4 is a very weak amp and none of us should have that amp on our motorcycles. That said. Your best cost effective option for the speakers you want to use is Two Cerwin Vega B54 amps if you are planning on the Polk 6x9's as well.

All those speakers will receive 150 watts per speaker and that system will scream.

The following users liked this post:
AdmiralAaron (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 02:51 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

That is one hell of a first post! But, he came to the right place....

Old 07-23-2016, 06:23 PM
AdmiralAaron
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input. I will go with the 2 Cerwin Vega amps. I will try and document the process so I can post on here for others to learn how to do it. I am pretty pumped to get it installed!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for all the input. I will go with the 2 Cerwin Vega amps. I will try and document the process so I can post on here for others to learn how to do it. I am pretty pumped to get it installed!
Piece of cake! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Don't forget the BT line levelers with your set up!!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:44 PM
AdmiralAaron
Intermediate

Do I need to get 1 Line leveler for each Amp?

Old 07-23-2016, 07:56 PM
AdmiralAaron
Intermediate

What would you recommend for acoustic foam inside the batwing and speaker boxes?

Old 07-24-2016, 06:15 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

Do I need to get 1 Line leveler for each Amp?
You will need 2 BT355 line levelers 1 for the front channels and 1 for the rear channels coming off the head unit.

Also don't forget the break out harness to gain access to the rear channels under the fairing unless you plan on cutting into the wiring harness to get your rear signal.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:40 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Babyboy
You will need 2 BT355 line levelers 1 for the front channels and 1 for the rear channels coming off the head unit.

Also don't forget the break out harness to gain access to the rear channels under the fairing unless you plan on cutting into the wiring harness to get your rear signal.
Correct! Thanks BB! Dynamat works great inside the fairing!

Quick Reply: 2015 Ultra System Overhaul