Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tricks to put fairng back on???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Tricks to put fairng back on???

I took my fairing off to Dynamat and replace my Mono rca with the new Knu Krux rca. Putting the fairing back on is a major pain in the a**, especially the 2 bottom ones, I basically have to stick the screw on the end of the torx wrench and balance it as I try to get the screw started, besides dropping the screw and not being able to find it ect!! I usaully put the middle windshield screw in and then try to put the lowers ones in, does anybody have a "easy way to do this (especially the guy's that have had their fairings off more times then they can count)!! Is it better to put the two side ones in first, then the bottom ones. Any help will be appreciated!! I will also let you know if I can hear any difference with the upgrade!! I also am going to ask..should I put the polyfill back in or not?? MM

Last edited by Moto Mike; 07-25-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added
Old 07-25-2016, 12:01 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

In my experiences, I start w/the top (windshield) screws and work my way down. Once you get the center screw in-place, align others and work your way down. Good luck...you'll get 'er.

The following users liked this post:
Moto Mike (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:04 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
I took my fairing off to Dynamat and replace my Mono rca with the new Knu Krux rca. Putting the fairing back on is a major pain in the a**, especially the 2 bottom ones, I basically have to stick the screw on the end of the torx wrench and balance it as I try to get the screw started, besides dropping the screw and not being able to find it ect!! I usaully put the middle windshield screw in and then try to put the lowers ones in, does anybody have a "easy way to do this (especially the guy's that have had their fairings off more times then they can count)!! Is it better to put the two side ones in first, then the bottom ones. Any help will be appreciated!! I will also let you know if I can hear any difference with the upgrade!! I also am going to ask..should I put the polyfill back in or not?? MM
Mike what year is your bike? On my 12 I do top middle just enough to hold fairing up, bottom 2 loose, get top line up after windshield on, put the other top 2 in, tighten 3 top, put in 2 middle, tighten the lowers, tighten the middle. With windshield trim is the lining up. No trim its much easier.

Moto Mike (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:08 PM
LURCH634
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I did the middle w/s the ,the ones by the mirrors, then the lower 2 then the other w/s. this order helped me.

Moto Mike (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:29 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Mike also to aid in the lower 2 to be easier to install I fully turn the bars each way so I can get my fingers in there with the lower screws to keep it from falling off the torx driver. I have had my fairing off 6 times in the last 2 weeks making some adjustments.

Moto Mike (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 01:55 PM
azlou66
Road Captain

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I got rid of the torx and went with SHCS. I use a long 1/4'' extension with a magnetic driver bit. I start the top three , just start them not tight at all, then the middle two, then the bottoms. Then I align my windshield trim and bag snug the top three then tighten the middle two then bottom two. After that I go back to the top three tighten and clock them, done.

Moto Mike (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 01:59 PM
azlou66
Road Captain

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

FYI I recently installed sound deadening material in my outer fairing and upgraded my RCA cord, the results were spectacular, time and money very well spent.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
First and foremost Mike you gotta make sure all your wiring is cable tied close to the vest so to speak. Cable tie everything you can as close to the inner fairing as you can get it. Having those wires and harnesses organized is the key. Once they are organized it lines up like butter.

Moto Mike (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,783 Likes on 18,559 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
First and foremost Mike you gotta make sure all your wiring is cable tied close to the vest so to speak. Cable tie everything you can as close to the inner fairing as you can get it. Having those wires and harnesses organized is the key. Once they are organized it lines up like butter.
Gannicus has hit a home run ... Being sure that all inside the fairing in in "perfect harmony" with the world will make it go a bit easier.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:06 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

why would anyone want to add heavy dynamat to the fairing or even notice the difference between RCA's!!

Quick Reply: Tricks to put fairng back on???