Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speaker power rating in parallel

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:40 AM
bladeguy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default speaker power rating in parallel

A friend of mine just bought a boat. I figure there is a lot the same with motorcycles other than they have more space for stuff and more power to run amps. For example we are putting in a big subwoofer but that is going to be a separate amp. So I was recommending the BT4180. We need to run 8 speakers. So if we ran 4 ohm speakers in parallel, what power rating do the speaker need? The amp is 160 RMS per channel so what do they need to be rated at to have the proper headroom without blowing them out?

Also one of the parallel sets of speakers will be one inside and one outside. Is it possible to control the sound levels independently with some sort of slider or is this impossible with parallel speakers?

Thanks!

Last edited by bladeguy; 07-29-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:38 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by bladeguy
A friend of mine just bought a boat. I figure there is a lot the same with motorcycles other than they have more space for stuff and more power to run amps. For example we are putting in a big subwoofer but that is going to be a separate amp. So I was recommending the BT4180. We need to run 8 speakers. So if we ran 4 ohm speakers in parallel, what power rating do the speaker need? The amp is 160 RMS per channel so what do they need to be rated at to have the proper headroom without blowing them out?

Also one of the parallel sets of speakers will be one inside and one outside. Is it possible to control the sound levels independently with some sort of slider or is this impossible with parallel speakers?

Thanks!
What is the RMS of the speakers? They need to be at least 100 RMS depending on the speakers.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:42 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks!
do u already have your speakers?

Old 07-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Chekoz77
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

I would decide on what speakers I was using before I decided on an amp. But that's me.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:04 PM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by yooperhog
do u already have your speakers?

No. However he is enamored with Rockford fosgate as he had them on a previous boat. As he is putting in so many speakers (4 pair) what would is the best speaker to run for good sound but a bit of a budget? two are inside so do not need to be marine grade.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:06 PM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gannicus
What is the RMS of the speakers? They need to be at least 100 RMS depending on the speakers.
putting in new speakers. Looking at speakers - although he wants Rockford fosgate because he liked them in a previous boat. I don't think they can handle this power.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:16 PM
bladeguy
Tourer

I may have to go to a boating group but can I put something like this on each of two pairs of speakers wired in parallel or do they always adjust together. We may have to go to another amp or a 6 channel amp. https://jet.com/product/detail/eea01...IGmQ&gclsrc=ds

Old 07-29-2016, 01:17 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

putting in new speakers. Looking at speakers - although he wants Rockford fosgate because he liked them in a previous boat. I don't think they can handle this power.
speaker size? marine grade? you can get 2 ss pn4 1000d amps for about $250. adjustable gain setting on each pair of speakers

Last edited by yooperhog; 07-29-2016 at 01:20 PM. Reason: adding
Old 07-29-2016, 01:34 PM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by yooperhog
speaker size? marine grade? you can get 2 ss pn4 1000d amps for about $250. adjustable gain setting on each pair of speakers

6.5" 3 pair marine grade - one pair inside the cabin so doesn't have to be.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:26 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Have a look at MB Quart. A buddy had these along with some severely anemic speakers and amps installed on his bike at a car audio shop. I changed his amp out to a SS pn4.1000d with Kappas in the fairing and left the MB Quart 6.5" in the lowers. I was honestly blown away at how good these speakers sounded. They're only 60w rms but they'll handle much more.

https://www.amazon.com/MBQUART-NK111.../dp/B00RFI5WSU

Quick Reply: speaker power rating in parallel