Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coaxial Antenna Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 01:11 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Coaxial Antenna Connectors

I've installed detachable trunk hardware and during that process cut through the wire harness for the trunk lights and installed AMP connectors so I can easily connect/disconnect as needed. As you probably know this same harness contains the antenna cable for the left side antenna on my bike. Not sure if this is the CB radio antenna or the am/fm but I see it is a very small diameter cable, 3/16-1/4" approx and it is coaxial. Although I use my satellite radio about 99.9% of the time I'd like to preserve this antenna function.....whatever it is.

The right side antenna has a disconnect plug which solves that side. Do you know what connectors I need to get to accomplish this on the right side antenna cable? Would Radio Shack have something for this?

Thanks.

Last edited by HOGNOT; 08-21-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 387 Posts

Yes Radio shack carries coax connectors.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:11 AM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Yes Radio shack carries coax connectors.
Went to my local Radio Shack yesterday PM not knowing what size coax I have on the bike but took pictures and measurements along. The two young guys there had no clue what a coaxial cable was. After explaining it to them they took me to a drawer full of spade connectors and butt splices and told me I might find what I needed in there. Good grief. So, I eventually found some BNC's and other types on a rack but decided to do more research. The cable is about 3/16" which might be an rg58. According to tutorials on youtube.com I should avoid the twist on and solder-on types and stick with crimp types for the best reliability.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 387 Posts

That is the reason I quit going to radio shack.
I understand people have to work but at least have knowledge of what the store has to help out the customer.
Last time I went in to that store I was looking for a resistor/diode and I got the look from the kid behind the counter like I had 10 heads and a horn coming out of my forehead.

As for your coax repair of there is a truck stop near you see if they have a cb radio shop and check with them.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:40 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyboy
That is the reason I quit going to radio shack.
I understand people have to work but at least have knowledge of what the store has to help out the customer.
Last time I went in to that store I was looking for a resistor/diode and I got the look from the kid behind the counter like I had 10 heads and a horn coming out of my forehead.

As for your coax repair of there is a truck stop near you see if they have a cb radio shop and check with them.

Our local Radio Shack has become a cell phone store and little more. When I walk in and they ask if they can help, I always say "doubt it" and I go try and find what I need.

Great suggestion about Truck Stops and CB stuff. Always forget about them.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:32 AM
flcusat
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are there still Radio Shack stores open? I believe they closed all of them in Miami almost two years ago.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:25 AM
AzBlu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having trouble with my CB. Stopped by the dealer and they had no clue about the CB. Swapped headsets and antennas and still no luck.

Do you think a standard CB shop would be better even tho these are not standard CB radios?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Makdaddy
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGNOT
Went to my local Radio Shack yesterday PM not knowing what size coax I have on the bike but took pictures and measurements along. The two young guys there had no clue what a coaxial cable was. After explaining it to them they took me to a drawer full of spade connectors and butt splices and told me I might find what I needed in there. Good grief. So, I eventually found some BNC's and other types on a rack but decided to do more research. The cable is about 3/16" which might be an rg58. According to tutorials on youtube.com I should avoid the twist on and solder-on types and stick with crimp types for the best reliability.

A good CB shop local will have everything you need
Def want to crimp the connectors not twist on