Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And it begins! Starting fresh.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:27 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
I've made a little progress, but work keeps getting in the way (way too much OT right now). Also ran into a small road block, but nothing that should really slow things down. So the bike will sit as it is for a little bit soni can try to get a little fishing in. There is noise coming from the fairing, but nothing is tuned at all, so no video (probably no video until everything is done).

Took advantage of this oddly warm February day in Michigan to put the new bags, side covers, and front fender on.
Coming along nicely Matt!!!

Old 03-07-2017, 07:30 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Made some progress today, but i dont want to cut anymore fiberglass until i bring home my respirator from work. Overall the test fit went perfect.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:54 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Respirator???? Come on man you can only die once, lol.

It's coming along great!! Can't wait to see the end result.

I just got back with the bike and the new built engine. Holy crap!!!
Now to get started on the audio build, finally..

Old 03-07-2017, 08:00 PM
pdevore
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
Made some progress today, but i dont want to cut anymore fiberglass until i bring home my respirator from work. Overall the test fit went perfect.

Looking Good, are those 8's? Is this a PreRushmore? I get to start cutting into my bags next week. (Im nervous as heck) Still trying to decide how I want to cut the hole or holes.

Pete

Old 03-07-2017, 08:09 PM
pdevore
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Matt,
Can you show a pic of the outside with the speaker mounted?
Is that ring that you trimmed mounted inside the bag?
After you located that ring and drilled the mount holes, could you then mount it inside and cut it out with a flush cut router bit?
I am trying to decide wether I want to do a full 8" cut out or if I want to do a pattern of 1/4"-3/8" holes.

Thanks for the info
Pete

Old 03-07-2017, 09:41 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pdevore
Matt,
Can you show a pic of the outside with the speaker mounted?
Is that ring that you trimmed mounted inside the bag?
After you located that ring and drilled the mount holes, could you then mount it inside and cut it out with a flush cut router bit?
I am trying to decide wether I want to do a full 8" cut out or if I want to do a pattern of 1/4"-3/8" holes.

Thanks for the info
Pete
This was a Chris Lowe kit that i bought off a member here. The poly speaker mounting rings were pre taped to show where to cut off some edges to clear the shock hump and back angle of the bag. Once i got that where i needed it i placed the speaker in there where i wanted it and marked as many holes as i could to determine where i could get the best meat of the ring. I drilled one hole and then made a couple marks for alignment when i moved the ring to the outside of the bag and then put a screw in to hold in in place, drilled another hole and put another screw in to hold it in place and so on, traced the inside of the ring and then cut a hole to get my jig saw started. Cut a rough hole and then screwed the ring on the inside to use as a guide and then used my router for the finish cut. I'll take some better pictures tomorrow when I do the right side bag for a little clarification on things.

These are Topshop OEM style stretched bags for my 2015 Street Glide. With 8s I was told you will want to do one big hole vs many smaller holes like 6x9s. No idea why lol, but I am not about to doubt Gann and haze on this one.

Last edited by matt76cmich; 03-07-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:48 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member

there is a small gasket type ring that covers up the cut and to help seal things off. This was just a test fit, i want ro add treated speaker cloth between the grill and poly speaker ring.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tesnevo
Respirator???? Come on man you can only die once, lol.

It's coming along great!! Can't wait to see the end result.

I just got back with the bike and the new built engine. Holy crap!!!
Now to get started on the audio build, finally..

Yeah I don't think the ole bandana was cutting it today, I kept holding my breath as long as I could while I was cutting lol.

Looking forward to seeing that monster of a bike completed as well. I'm gonna say about 5000 miles a rear tire, maybe LOL!

Old 03-08-2017, 10:52 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member

A little more progress today on the right side bag, but having to use generator power since we will be without power till late Saturday. Got the hole cut and will finish when iget some daylight tomorrow.

Here are some completed pictures of the 8" installed. More room left in the bag than i thought there'd be.

The rubber surround was getting hung up on the carpet of the bag.

Amp will be where the wire is going.<br/><br/>More room left than i thought there'd be.

Safety first lol.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:46 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Coming along nicely!!!

The following users liked this post:
matt76cmich (03-09-2017)

Quick Reply: And it begins! Starting fresh.