Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo suggestions

Old 01-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Brian Burling
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo suggestions

Hello everyone! I have a 08 street glide and I want to upgrade the stereo in the front. I wanted to know if any one has put in the Rockford fosgate power kit. It runs 1,000$. Which I'm fine with. I just want know if it's worth it or are they're better options or brands out there for around or under the same price

Old 01-07-2017, 02:56 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

i think for the cost you can do better and around that budget you could also upgrade your headunit that would make a huge difference in sound.

The following users liked this post:
Brian Burling (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:23 PM
CVOJOE
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Burling
Hello everyone! I have a 08 street glide and I want to upgrade the stereo in the front. I wanted to know if any one has put in the Rockford fosgate power kit. It runs 1,000$. Which I'm fine with. I just want know if it's worth it or are they're better options or brands out there for around or under the same price
Brian,

For $1K Bragger Audio Labs can put you together a system that will really make you smile. These guys really know their stuff

Old 01-07-2017, 04:06 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The Rockford system is an "okay" option for mechanically/technically challenged people who need a plug & play system. Consequently, you're paying a BIG premium for the convenience of plug & play.

If you can handle a screw-driver, turn a few wrenches & crimp a few wires, there's more than enough help here on the forum to get you set-up with a system in your Streetglide fairing that will blow the Rockford system away....for less money.

There are lots of threads about 2 channel systems, so do a little reading.

The level of performance will range from Mild to Wild, so will the prices.

For an inexpensive 2 channel system, I like the Soundstream PN2.350D amp running the Infinity Kappa speakers. You'll also need speaker adapters, wiring and an inline fuse. That system will scream for less than $300.00.

For higher quality components & better sound quality, consult with some of the Audio Vendors here on the forum, such as BaggerAudioLab. They won't steer you wrong and will give you the best bang for your buck.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:21 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Let me direct you this way. I don't know crap about motorcycle stereo systems. So I hit up the guys that DO, in the audio section. The true audio guru's LOVE a company called Biketronics. If your looking up upgrade, consider posting this question in the audio section, and head to Biketronics website. Its my understanding, they sell true top shelf stuff that's well within your proposed budget.

http://www.biketronics.com/audio-packages/

Edit: Ha! Looks like the mods already moved you there.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 01-07-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:51 PM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MX

JL audio

Attached Thumbnails Stereo suggestions-img_0039.jpg  
Old 01-09-2017, 06:09 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master

Originally Posted by angelrod
JL audio
I just bought one of these (actually it's the MHX280/4) from Crutchfield for $150.00. I'll be running it "bridged" to get 150+ watts per channel on a 2 speaker system. It will be going in my 2014 Ultra Limited, along with some DD component speakers I bought from BaggerAudioLab (a forum vendor).

Old 01-10-2017, 08:38 AM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
I just bought one of these (actually it's the MHX280/4) from Crutchfield for $150.00. I'll be running it "bridged" to get 150+ watts per channel on a 2 speaker system. It will be going in my 2014 Ultra Limited, along with some DD component speakers I bought from BaggerAudioLab (a forum vendor).
what size speakers ? are you looking for loudness or Quality ? and why 2 channels? if you only gonna use it to power a 61/2 bridging it will just gonna produce distortion as it's to much power on it already . you need to equal the gain of the stereo and amps all together to gain a quality sounds at the highest volume possible without damaging your amp and speakers .That amp is same one i got in my 2014 limited . Their is so many ways to get a mild to wild stereo system .with my 07!Sgs i can put it in between . im running 8 speakers system 10 if you counted the tweeters ,2 Alpine Pdx amps 2 Jl 61/2 subwoofers in the tour pack ,2 Hertz 6 1/2 high energy the faring ,2 Jl 6 1/2 C5 in the lowers , 2 6/9 Hertz MPX inside the bags , Sony head unit and a Odessey Battery now .i i started in 2006 .the loudest stereo system that 06 Sturgis has ever heard in motorcycle is mine .You can ask John Shoppe .of Sinister Custom , Dirty Bird. He got this Idea from me . the Loudest Sytem in 07 Arizona bike week they ever heard . But now it's just common to any bike rallies you go .lol

Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

what size speakers ? are you looking for loudness or Quality ? and why 2 channels? if you only gonna use it to power a 61/2 bridging it will just gonna produce distortion as it's to much power on it already . you need to equal the gain of the stereo and amps all together to gain a quality sounds at the highest volume possible without damaging your amp and speakers .That amp is same one i got in my 2014 limited .
That amp (the HX280/4) will put out at least 175 watts of clean power. I know this because that's what I had mine set at running a set of M770's. It would go higher but I didn't want to send too much to them.

I'm sending 200+ watts to a set of DD VO's and also 200+ watts to a set of Moto 602's.

Point being, there are lots of speakers out there that can handle the output of a bridged HX280/4. Much has changed in the last 10 years my friend, MUCH

Old 01-10-2017, 09:31 AM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master

the loudest stereo system that 06 Sturgis has ever heard in motorcycle is mine . the Loudest Sytem in 07 Arizona bike week they ever heard .
I won the first-ever "Battle of the Car Stereos" here in West Texas running 80 watts per channel to a 4 speaker set-up in a 1980 Volvo DL240. The song we used was Foreigner's "Double Vision".

That was in 1980, the song was "new", the car was "new" and the system was Alpine.

Things have come a long way in audio since those days. My 1980 system probably wouldn't beat a good iPod these days (I almost said transistor radio LOL).

I'm sure your system was Great back in the day, but "Things have come a Long Way, Baby", in the last 10 years.

Listen to the young gurus on this forum and you'll learn so much your head will spin. That's what I did and I hope to have a system that would've made my Volvo tuck it's tail and run.

PS - The test track for every system I've installed since 1980 and for my new upgrade will be...You guessed it!....Double Vision. You can change the old man's equipment but you can't keep him from living in the past.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo suggestions