Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Communications Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:07 PM
ttyndall
Club Member
Received 173 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Communications Question

Need advice. I have a 2013 Fatboy Lo. I wanted to buy decent helmets and install communication systems so when my wife rides with me we can talk when needed.
This weekend I bought two used Shoei Multitec helmets in pristine condition. This is where my lack of knowledge raises it's head. They had a nice set of J&M 279 HO headsets installed. Evidently not a lot of use. The ear covers were still in the bag. The rubber chin guard still in the bag. However, I was thinking (Major mistake) I could plug them into each other not thinking about an amplifier or something to make them work. I don't care about installing a radio.
I have three questions.
1. Is there any kind of item that can be installed that can be hidden, Like under a seat, that they could plug into and make to work? I called J&M and they said no.
2. If I have to take them out can someone give me a fair value of what I should ask for the pair.
3. If I take them out and go Bluetooth what is the general consensus on the best pair for the money. This is the route my wife would prefer because of the extra benefit of the phone and music.
Keep in mind these would be going into the multitec which is modular.

I appreciate any help and no badgering about not researching ahead. My wife has already done that.

Thanks
Ted

Old 01-12-2017, 04:22 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

There isn't any type of unit you can install on your bike that will allow you to use these headsets.

These can be purchased, "brand new" from eBay for $108.00 each. They are an older model and don't have the best mics or speakers. I'd say they're worth about $50.00 each.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1506454...&ul_noapp=true

Go with the Sena 10S units. They have good mics, great speakers, Bluetooth for music & phone, voice activated Bluetooth commands, FM radio, Rider to Passenger communication, Rider to Rider communication, etc. None of the other brands come close.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:32 PM
ttyndall
Club Member

Ranger, you verified what J&M told me. Not what I wanted but what I needed to know.
One question. You recommended the S10. Is there that much of a difference in the S10 over the SMH5-FM to justify the money difference?
I've never had communication devices so trying to figure it all out.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:07 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If you can spring for the 10S, go with the SMH10.

Compared to these units, the SMH5 has shorter battery life, shorter range, an older version of Sena's bluetooth firmware that can't be upgraded, a less sensitive microphone and speakers that work okay for communications but not so well for music.

There was a giant leap from the SMH5 to the SMH10 as far as technology.

The jump from the SMH10 to the 10S was not quite as big.

The jump from the 10S to the top of the line 20S wasn't much, except for the price.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:19 PM
ttyndall
Club Member

Thanks. That helps a lot.