Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bm Stage II w/ aftermarket amp & speakers to bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:31 AM
Chief Silverback
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bm Stage II w/ aftermarket amp & speakers to bags

Whats up guys new to the forum first time posting. I Definitely wish I would have known about the knowledge available on here prior to my dilemma. Long story short got raked on the Boom Stage II amp and speaker upgrade for the fairing. I want to add amp and saddle bag speakers but want to go with aftermarket system. My question is can I add an after market bag setup to my existing boom II system? Thanks for your knowledge and help in advance.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:43 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief Silverback
Whats up guys new to the forum first time posting. I Definitely wish I would have known about the knowledge available on here prior to my dilemma. Long story short got raked on the Boom Stage II amp and speaker upgrade for the fairing. I want to add amp and saddle bag speakers but want to go with aftermarket system. My question is can I add an after market bag setup to my existing boom II system? Thanks for your knowledge and help in advance.
The short answer is no, and here are a few reasons why.
The Rushmore models were designed in to make it difficult for the customer to upgrade with aftermarket audio components. This was done to force customers to purchase there over priced, over complicated, and in most cases dysfunctional Boom II audio systems. In doing so HD made it so complicated that most of there own dealers can't perform the install.

When the Boom II amp and speakers were install the dealer had to flash the Infotainment system to get the amp and speakers to work together. One of the functions of the flash is to control the EQ. To add aftermarket components the Infotainment system would have to flashed back to stock. The stock flash is far from flat and requires an aftermarket device developed by Biketronics to level the the EQ. Or add a DSP for added control of the EQ.

So you have two options, stick with what you have and let the dealer add to it for big bucks and hope it works. And by the way if you look a the Boom II audio for sale on the HD site you will see this disclaimer "FINAL SALE, NON-RETURNABLE".

Or as we suggest, remove the Boom audio put it up for sale and start over. For the price HD charges for the Boom audio you can put a killer system together. Here's a video of a four speaker kit one of our own vendors put together for what I am sure was far less than any Boom II system.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bertk:
BaggerAudioLab (01-24-2017), Gannicus (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Chief Silverback
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply Bertk, definitely not the the news I wanted to hear but knowledge is definitely power. So If I yank the Booom amp out can I atleast salvage the over priced speakers and use those with the new amp and bag speakers? Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 AM
TomboAT65
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

You could try to use them, but they will be overpowered with an aftermarket amp. As Bert suggested, pull it all out and put it on eBay, you'll lose money, but somebody will buy.

Then take suggestions from some of the other guys who will chime in and get a decent setup.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:04 AM
pdevore
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the reply Bertk, definitely not the the news I wanted to hear but knowledge is definitely power. So If I yank the Booom amp out can I atleast salvage the over priced speakers and use those with the new amp and bag speakers? Thanks again for the help.
I know this is not why you want to hear, and I already ripped out all my Boom items to start over. That said, I have the lid speakers and amp for sale. It's NOT going to give you the audio of an aftermarket system, but this is an inexpensive way to get your system complete with what you currently have.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Chief Silverback
Intermediate

Again thanks for all of the great info. I''m mad I''m stuck in the this quick sand but I'm trying to salvage as much as I can to redirect some financial resources to other upgrades. PDevore that may be an option is the sytem your selling Stage II Kit and all?

Old 01-24-2017, 10:21 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Again thanks for all of the great info. I''m mad I''m stuck in the this quick sand but I'm trying to salvage as much as I can to redirect some financial resources to other upgrades. PDevore that may be an option is the sytem your selling Stage II Kit and all?
Take your time and save up and get done right the first time (second time in this case lol). These guys will get you setup right. $1000 will go a long ways if you already have the lids.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Truly sorry for the bad news Chief. I forgot to say welcome to the audio forum. What year and model bike do you have?

The Boom II system is a bi-amp setup, meaning the four channel 300w amp will only power two speakers with 75 watts going to each tweeter and each woofer. Then comes the wiring issue between woofer and tweeter on the Boom speakers. Most of the setups we recommend will have close to double that power and the Boom speakers just won't hold up to that. In most cases a four channel amp will power four speaker including tweeters. So you would be better off trying sell everything while they are still functional. Or stick with what you have.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:10 AM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!

You've already received some good information from a few of the resident experts.

I too would recommend that you sell everything and recoup as much money as possible.

If you advertise on the Audio For Sale Classifieds, you're probably not going to get much response, since most of the equipment there is either aftermarket (from people upgrading to another level of equipment) or people who've learned better (from this forum) than to spend their hard earned $$$ on Boom equipment.

There are lots of folks on the Touring Classifieds forum who are either wanting a simple "plug & play" set-up and/or nothing without the Harley Davidson name on it will do. You should have some luck advertising it there.

I'd also recommend advertising on your nearest metropolitan area's Craigslist.

We'll all keep our fingers-crossed on getting your Boom equipment SOLD and are standing by to help you put together a very nice system, within your budget.

Keep us Posted!

Old 01-24-2017, 11:39 AM
TomboAT65
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Just checked ebay. There is a Stage 2 amp for sale thats damaged listed for $210 and a set of speakers listed for $300. While they may not get that, you know what they say "There's a sucker born every minute". (Not saying you are one)

Live and learn man. If you can get $5-700 for the system, you could plop that into a great set up on your bike with room for expansion.

Quick Reply: Bm Stage II w/ aftermarket amp & speakers to bags