Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding CB to 2017 Ultra Ltd - necessary for dealer activation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 01:28 PM
wdeertz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding CB to 2017 Ultra Ltd - necessary for dealer activation?

Just installed the CB/bike-to-bike module on my 2017 Ultra Ltd along with the lighted switches whiched added the PTT switch and the stubby cb antenna. The instructions indicate that the boom audio system needs a dealer flashing of the boom system so the cb will be recognized. When I turned on my system the cb wasn't listed so I figured the documentation was accurate. I tried the squelch switch and this caused the cb to now appear in the boom audio menu. I can scroll through all 40 channels but only hear static and am unable to transmit (well no one answered on a radio check but this might only mean there is no one in the area).

Not sure if the poor reception is because of poor swr or if something actually needs to be changed/flashed in the boom system before it properly works. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, have ordered a swr meter but from forum searches there doesn't appear to be any antenna adjustments on the stubby cb antenna. Is the only way to adjust the swr to run a new coaxial cable and cut to the cable to correct length after repeated swr tests? I recognize I won't get long range on the bike but would like to be able to transmit at least 1 mile and possibly hear 3-4 miles out.

Thanks for all guidance.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:34 PM
vivid15
5th Gear
Default 2017 Harley CB

Hey, I can answer part of your question. The SWR is already set as long as you're using a Harley Antenna.

Did you ever get it going?

Old 05-03-2017, 04:10 PM
wdeertz
6th Gear

Originally Posted by vivid15
Hey, I can answer part of your question. The SWR is already set as long as you're using a Harley Antenna.

Did you ever get it going?
Yes finally got it going, I'm a few miles from the highway and thought I'd be able to hear some chatter but with the shorty antennas it seems I only get a short range.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:41 PM
vivid15
5th Gear

I'm not sure about the reception on the shorty antennas. I had the whip antennas on my 2015 Ultra and the reception wasn't great. Riding in a group, it worked fine. Double check the wire behind the tour pack liner on the CB side and make sure the wire is connected. They left mine disconnected from the factory. Also, make sure you have a CB antenna and not a AM/FM antenna. The look almost identical. It will have the bands stamped near the base of the antenna.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:45 PM
wdeertz
6th Gear

Originally Posted by vivid15
I'm not sure about the reception on the shorty antennas. I had the whip antennas on my 2015 Ultra and the reception wasn't great. Riding in a group, it worked fine. Double check the wire behind the tour pack liner on the CB side and make sure the wire is connected. They left mine disconnected from the factory. Also, make sure you have a CB antenna and not a AM/FM antenna. The look almost identical. It will have the bands stamped near the base of the antenna.
Yes confirmed I have the correct shorty cb antenna and the wire is connected. On group rides the cb works fine. I think about 1-2 miles is about all that can be expected.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Chil
Stage I

Reading all of this makes me a little crazy. I have been on the phone with so many at dealerships and even the factory and they are making it so tough on me to install one. First they said it does not work with the 2017's due to the new engine, well this post proves that wrong. Question to you then is, Does the Ultra and the Street Glide Special have any differences that will make it tougher to do. I have all the mounts, the same 6.5 system and even the blank on the switch plate for the PTT button. So what could be different?

Old 02-06-2018, 06:48 PM
wdeertz
6th Gear

Not sure what the new M8 engine would have to do with anything. As for the SGS and Ultra, I wouldn’t think it would matter as they both use the same 6.5 system. I would say go for it. I can attest it’s nice having the cb for group rides.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:40 AM
scodav
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hate to bring up an old post, but could the OP please post the part numbers of the antenna wiring used? I have the numbers for the CB module (Bike to Bike), but I'm trying to help a buddy and can't locate the parts with respect to the antenna wire.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:44 AM
scodav
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chil
Reading all of this makes me a little crazy. I have been on the phone with so many at dealerships and even the factory and they are making it so tough on me to install one. First they said it does not work with the 2017's due to the new engine, well this post proves that wrong. Question to you then is, Does the Ultra and the Street Glide Special have any differences that will make it tougher to do. I have all the mounts, the same 6.5 system and even the blank on the switch plate for the PTT button. So what could be different?

I can tell you without a doubt, not only can you do it to the Ultra Ltd, you can add one to a 2018 SG. I've done it for 2 friends and myself. Also, I did have to adjust the antenna length for the SWRs. I used the B2B communication model, a 2013 antenna kit, and a Ultra Ltd antenna relocation bracket (not the entire kit). I installed it, use it on chapter rides, works great, loud and clear tuned to 1.3 on 1 and 1.6 on 40. I probably could have tuned it out a little more, but considering I got it down from 2.3 on 40 to 1.6, I decided to call it good. I can communicate with the sweep rider or the road captain in a group of 20+ bikes, staggered, riding in the middle and can reach the sweep or road captain from opposite ends of the group.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:54 PM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I've installed the CB module to my 2017 Road Glide Ultra and it works fine. NO Dealer refresh needed. The CB needs to be for the BOOM system so 2014-2018 will work on your ride. Check out the HD website for the correct part number. It's plug and play and mine works about the same as I expected. One or two miles transmit at the most, I do seem to receive better than I can transmit. Works well with group rides. I bought all used equipment from this website and installed it myself.
Bill

Quick Reply: Adding CB to 2017 Ultra Ltd - necessary for dealer activation?