Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FreeWire...........No Bass. No mid-range.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,315 Likes on 10,699 Posts
Default FreeWire...........No Bass. No mid-range.

I have a brand new 2017 ultra ltd, and brand new helmet, brand new SENA20s & FreeWire.

ALL has updated firmware/software.

When listing to music, ALL the bass (which I LOVE) and mid-range is totally removed.

The music via the FreeWire from the infotainment system is 100% tinny. HORRIBLE!!

There is some comment in the instructions to make the music sound better, to put the foam cushion (or something like that) around the speaker.

1) There is no room in the ear pocket/flap for anything else and 2) that would hardly give me the booming bass I so LOVE!

Anyone else finding this so or found a way around it?

I think for bass, you really need more sophisticated speakers than what they give you to put in your ear flaps.

BuzzCap7

Old 02-16-2017, 11:43 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Is the Sena stereo or mono?

Old 02-17-2017, 06:36 AM
BuzzCap7

Stereo my friend. But that would not change the bass or mid-range. It is still very tinny.

BuzzCap7

Old 02-17-2017, 07:14 AM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,692 Likes on 1,283 Posts

BUZZ I have heard a few people on another site complain slightly about the sound. I believe that some have purchased an upgraded speaker sold by sena.
Then on some reviews people love the sound. Can the 20's speakers be changed out to ear buds like some of the other models? I almost bought a set when sena first came out with the 20 for riding my BMW.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:36 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
I have a brand new 2017 ultra ltd, and brand new helmet, brand new SENA20s & FreeWire.

ALL has updated firmware/software.

When listing to music, ALL the bass (which I LOVE) and mid-range is totally removed.

The music via the FreeWire from the infotainment system is 100% tinny. HORRIBLE!!

There is some comment in the instructions to make the music sound better, to put the foam cushion (or something like that) around the speaker.

1) There is no room in the ear pocket/flap for anything else and 2) that would hardly give me the booming bass I so LOVE!

Anyone else finding this so or found a way around it?

I think for bass, you really need more sophisticated speakers than what they give you to put in your ear flaps.

BuzzCap7
I have the SENA SMH10R and replaced the in-helmet speakers with Koss KTXPRO1 Titanium Portable Headphones. The difference was definitely worth the effort and those headphones can be found on Amazon for under $15. However, having said that, the quality of sound for serious music listening is still pretty dismal. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would say the original speaks were about a 2.5 and the Koss brought that up to about a 4.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 PM
breezin71
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sena 10R problem with voice commands

I just bought the Sena 10R and freewire and everything works except the voice commands. I updated the firmware on both devices and the boombox. The phone is not connected to the 10R. What do I try next?

Old 02-21-2017, 11:12 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by paoloD
BUZZ I have heard a few people on another site complain slightly about the sound. I believe that some have purchased an upgraded speaker sold by sena.
Then on some reviews people love the sound. Can the 20's speakers be changed out to ear buds like some of the other models? I almost bought a set when sena first came out with the 20 for riding my BMW.
Thanks for the info mate. The only way to switch out the speakers that I know of is cutting the speaker wire and splicing. (I know, I know....I don't want to cut/splice either.).

It is a gd idea to call SENA. I will........for a better quality speaker with bass. Gd quality bass.

Originally Posted by danzio
I have the SENA SMH10R and replaced the in-helmet speakers with Koss KTXPRO1 Titanium Portable Headphones. The difference was definitely worth the effort and those headphones can be found on Amazon for under $15. However, having said that, the quality of sound for serious music listening is still pretty dismal. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would say the original speaks were about a 2.5 and the Koss brought that up to about a 4.
That is too small an improvement by friend. I would want bass to hit 10 easily. I love bass. So going from 2.5 to 4 on a 1-10 scale is not acceptable. Better but not acceptable.

Thank you tho!!

BuzzCap7

Old 02-22-2017, 02:56 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Thanks for the info mate. The only way to switch out the speakers that I know of is cutting the speaker wire and splicing. (I know, I know....I don't want to cut/splice either.).

It is a gd idea to call SENA. I will........for a better quality speaker with bass. Gd quality bass.

That is too small an improvement by friend. I would want bass to hit 10 easily. I love bass. So going from 2.5 to 4 on a 1-10 scale is not acceptable. Better but not acceptable.

Thank you tho!!

BuzzCap7

I only wanted to be honest with you. For me the $15 investment and 1 hour of my time was worth the small improvement (2.5 to 4 is almost twice as good) but if I said it was twice as good you may think that it was much better than it really was. You will never get good base with these type of headphones, IMO. Good luck in your search bro!

Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by danzio
I only wanted to be honest with you. For me the $15 investment and 1 hour of my time was worth the small improvement (2.5 to 4 is almost twice as good) but if I said it was twice as good you may think that it was much better than it really was. You will never get good base with these type of headphones, IMO. Good luck in your search bro!
danzio,

I think u are 100% correct. I am getting tired of all this. The bikes bigger speakers and better stock quality than ever is impressive. I am headed to say F it all and just keep playing my music from the bikes speakers.....and that likely will be that.

Thank you and everyone else with their input.

BuzzCap7

Old 01-10-2019, 06:20 AM
masterguns
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tinny Sound from Sena Speakers

have a couple extra HD headsets that plug into the bikes system and they sound great; lots of bass, etc. I also have the Sena Freewire with a 20S EVO headset and have the same cheap a-- speakers. So, I am going to cut and splice a couple HD headset speakers to see just how much improvement I get. Will advise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FreeWire...........No Bass. No mid-range.