Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality overkill for my needs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 03:07 AM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
I guess I'm to blame for getting that ball rolling.

Hopefully the OP of this thread comes back.
Just bumping it back to the top so it's easier for him to find.
Yeah... How dare you give your opinion on a post that asked for opinions. I think crotchetyness and general hatefulness got that ball rolling. I don't know why I even cared.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:59 AM
BaggerBill103
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Don't sell your Boom HU!!!! Wait for DSP as Boom functionality really is significantly better than all current replacements.

Voodoo Lids with JL880.

DD AW6.5 in fairing with AT28 tweets mounted in metal grills.

8" mid driver inside bags facing wheel. U really need to seek out the 8" with serious thump here as most of them bring too many high freqs for that location. 60 or 70 hz and up will get u good thump. Possibly a one piece 8" and tweet adapter will work well for this location should u decide to add more highs.

T
I am really surprised to hear you say this T! "[QUOTE=Tailwind;15959616]Don't sell your Boom HU!!!! Wait for DSP as Boom functionality really is significantly better than all current replacements." Can you elaborate on this a little more. I have a friend getting ready to pull his for a Kenwood. Thanks

Old 02-24-2017, 06:27 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

[QUOTE=BaggerBill103;15965273]I am really surprised to hear you say this T! "
Don't sell your Boom HU!!!! Wait for DSP as Boom functionality really is significantly better than all current replacements." Can you elaborate on this a little more. I have a friend getting ready to pull his for a Kenwood. Thanks
Bill thing with the aftermarket HU is that if you ride your bike you lose some functionality, either from the actual headunit or from the hand control integration. You also need to make a water proof cover. From a sound standpoint you do gain better audio at that cost. Last year Joey H. won Myrtle with the stock HU. It can be done.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:09 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Looking at the replacements, it's a net loss when u weigh overall functionality and as BAL pinpointed, the waterproof issue is huge.

Until someone can deliver an upgrade in all categories I'm just not going there and since the DSP market is beginning to grow legs the Boom SQ issues (that seem to be the core issue) soon become manageable.

T

Old 02-24-2017, 02:06 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerBill103
I am really surprised to hear you say this T! Can you elaborate on this a little more. I have a friend getting ready to pull his for a Kenwood. Thanks
Here's my life right now...

Tired of the crappy sound... pull the stocker and put in the Kenwood 998

2 or 3 weeks later

Tired of the **** poor music navigation, not being able to "select" an album or song without actually touching the radio or being able to see the display properly... pull the Kenwood 998 and put in the stocker

Rinse and repeat, like 3 or 4 times already :/

and yes, there is a HUGE difference in sound between the stocker and the 998

Old 02-24-2017, 03:26 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,325 Likes on 10,701 Posts

Ur kidding right?

T
Oh, ooohh. Did I miss something? I have been running HogTunes in my bikes for the last about 8-9 years.

This new 2017 came with such good tunes, I let the Hog Tunes go with the bike. I definitely did like them.

Originally Posted by tesnevo

Oh sweet Jesus, please say this didn't just get posted.....
"...this didn't just get posted." tesnevo, pls see my comment above.

I have good hearing and appreciate good quality music. Up until the 2017's that I know of, the stock speakers and amps sucked. That is why I upgraded (yes LOL up graded) to Hog Tunes about 8-9 years ago.

I hope I do not get thrown out of HDF's for this. :-( 'doh!

BuzzCap7

Old 02-24-2017, 03:57 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

"Good quality" is an extremely subjective term!!!

Sometimes u just don't know what u don't know. Just part of learning about the other stuff that is available that is far superior.

As long as u like it, that's all that matters but keep ur ear to the ground bro cause ur missing out on the other "good quality" sled audio.

T

Old 02-24-2017, 04:20 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
Here's my life right now...

Tired of the crappy sound... pull the stocker and put in the Kenwood 998

2 or 3 weeks later

Tired of the **** poor music navigation, not being able to "select" an album or song without actually touching the radio or being able to see the display properly... pull the Kenwood 998 and put in the stocker

Rinse and repeat, like 3 or 4 times already :/

and yes, there is a HUGE difference in sound between the stocker and the 998
Bunker you got the wrong interface or something is off. With my retro radio module with avc ( has to be avc version) I can advance folder with left control and track of course with right.I literally can not look down and scroll my 16gb of music. I can gladly walk you through the steps but if you want to keep the stock in then no point.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:01 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Bunker you got the wrong interface or something is off. With my retro radio module with avc ( has to be avc version) I can advance folder with left control and track of course with right.I literally can not look down and scroll my 16gb of music. I can gladly walk you through the steps but if you want to keep the stock in then no point.
with the 998 I can:

Scroll through EACH folder ie Folder142... Folder143... Folder144... etc

I can NOT however use the left button to select anything. I have ot reach up to the head unit and select from there. If I want to go up a level to Artist, I have to press the back button on the head unit and then the select button/*** on the head unit.

I can't navigate up and down from song>album>artist

Using the left button I can advance or go back a song on the left advance or back an album (I have a LOT of albums on my USB drive :/

Using the Biketronics with AVC off, right button is mute

Old 02-24-2017, 05:38 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
with the 998 I can:

Scroll through EACH folder ie Folder142... Folder143... Folder144... etc

I can NOT however use the left button to select anything. I have ot reach up to the head unit and select from there. If I want to go up a level to Artist, I have to press the back button on the head unit and then the select button/*** on the head unit.

I can't navigate up and down from song>album>artist

Using the left button I can advance or go back a song on the left advance or back an album (I have a LOT of albums on my USB drive :/

Using the Biketronics with AVC off, right button is mute
Mike mentioned the other day when I spoke with him that some units had accidentally had both mute and avc on them. Also from mine being 13 down and your being Rushmore that may play a factor. I would check with Mike as the right control should change source, and left is mute or on avc versions folder advance for Kenwood anyway besides the holding in for changing the avc sensitivity

Quick Reply: Quality overkill for my needs???