Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality overkill for my needs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:32 AM
Harley_Newb419
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quality overkill for my needs???

Hey, I'm going to be upgrading my audio on my 14 FLHXS. It is currently stock. I will be selling my 6.5 OEM head unit and replacing it with the new Sony double din. I'm looking to do 6.5 in fairing with horns, 6.5 in lower fairing, I'm on the fence for lids with double 6X9 or an 8 with a horn and I will probably do an 8 in the bag too.

My question is for speakers...most places I read talk about the superior quality of Hertz and/or Focal.

I've been reading things that a lot of guys like DD or DS18. Those are a lot cheaper than Hertz/Focal. I have no plans of ever doing a show. I just want it to sound good while riding and maybe turn a few heads when I pull in somewhere.

Anybody with some honest experience or thoughts on the brands mentioned above. Is there a different brand I should consider?

Thanks for any and all info!!

Old 02-22-2017, 11:53 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Man I love these types of builds. Do you plan on putting an amp in the bag? For the stuff you are describing I would forget about Focal. Not worth the cost. DS18 is a budget brand, they're HQ's is 15 min from my house, I've ran they're entire line. It's good for the price but they cut a lot of corners to save on cost. I honestly would only recommend that brand for guys on a serious budget. That leaves Hertz and DD. I like many of both their products others I'm not a huge fan of. I don't use either of their 6.5's in our competition pro audio builds. I do like the DD W8 in the bags as a sub like woofer. Double 6x9 lids will give u more bass than an 8inch lid, but an 8 inch lid with horn will be significantly louder.

Lots of options out there. Let these guys give you some recommendations. Some things you'll want to answer is amps locations, what kinda sound you are looking for, etc.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Don't sell your Boom HU!!!! Wait for DSP as Boom functionality really is significantly better than all current replacements.

Voodoo Lids with JL880.

DD AW6.5 in fairing with AT28 tweets mounted in metal grills.

8" mid driver inside bags facing wheel. U really need to seek out the 8" with serious thump here as most of them bring too many high freqs for that location. 60 or 70 hz and up will get u good thump. Possibly a one piece 8" and tweet adapter will work well for this location should u decide to add more highs.

T

Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Newb419
Hey, I'm going to be upgrading my audio on my 14 FLHXS. It is currently stock. I will be selling my 6.5 OEM head unit and replacing it with the new Sony double din. I'm looking to do 6.5 in fairing with horns, 6.5 in lower fairing, I'm on the fence for lids with double 6X9 or an 8 with a horn and I will probably do an 8 in the bag too.

My question is for speakers...most places I read talk about the superior quality of Hertz and/or Focal.

I've been reading things that a lot of guys like DD or DS18. Those are a lot cheaper than Hertz/Focal. I have no plans of ever doing a show. I just want it to sound good while riding and maybe turn a few heads when I pull in somewhere.

Anybody with some honest experience or thoughts on the brands mentioned above. Is there a different brand I should consider?

You're in luck!! Shoot the man that responded to your thread first an email! For the build you are wanting to do. It doesn't get any better than that. Alex@baggeraudiolab.com.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,331 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Newb419

HogTunes.com I can't say enough GOOD about them.

BuzzCap7

Old 02-22-2017, 09:18 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
You're in luck!! Shoot the man that responded to your thread first an email! For the build you are wanting to do. It doesn't get any better than that. Alex@baggeraudiolab.com.
This right here.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:47 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7

BuzzCap7
Ur kidding right?

T

Old 02-22-2017, 11:12 PM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Ur kidding right?

T
Lol...I was gonna say..., "be careful, somebody's gonna think you're serious"

-FW

Old 02-23-2017, 12:11 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Ur kidding right?

T
I'm speechless.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:36 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7

BuzzCap7

Oh sweet Jesus, please say this didn't just get posted.....

Quick Reply: Quality overkill for my needs???