Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded factory sounds need help tuning amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 07:28 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by CVOJOE
No...listen to what Gann's saying, it's not really enough. Your headunit starts distorting at about 3/4 volume. So in a perfect world the RF would only be putting our about 75 Watts RMS at 3/4 volume. you need at least 100 watts RMS per channel at 3/4 volume to really make those speakers perform like their capable of doing

That JL amp he gave you a link to will do this
It's amazing the number of people that throw systems together not realizing that your amp needs head room to perform properly.

Not bashing on you at all PJ. If you don't know you don't know.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:52 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

No...listen to what Gann's saying, it's not really enough. Your headunit starts distorting at about 3/4 volume. So in a perfect world ...

It's about balancing or matching the components so that they work together- much like motor performance work.

I have good results on my bike because i have different speakers- I use the Infinity Kappas 6.5" ( amazon $100) which are more efficient than the HCX.

with an equal amount of watts applied to the speakers, the Kappas will be 2 dB louder than the HCX- which is a good amount
also the kappas are 2 ohm- the pbr330x2 is rated at 150 watts at 2 ohm, so my amp isnt working as hard

what I have is a pretty good moderate system, where the parts are well matched. pretty good bang for buck, I can hear well at highway speeds* and the tonality is pretty even

as I said before you could be ok for moderate volumes-

if you have the system in and working, just take it easy for awhile.
and maybe consider that other amp

Mike

* for long periods of time, I use earbuds wired to my stereo- music in, noise out

Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

No...listen to what Gann's saying, it's not really enough. Your headunit starts distorting at about 3/4 volume. So in a perfect world the RF would only be putting our about 75 Watts RMS at 3/4 volume. you need at least 100 watts RMS per channel at 3/4 volume to really make those speakers perform like their capable of doing

That JL amp he gave you a link to will do this
Exactly right CVO. That's all I'm saying. Now I totally understand everything mk is saying. But I've been at it for a few years. Way too much info for a new guy to digest. We try to keep it simple for the new guys mk. Most normal guys have no idea what a "sine wave" is bro! LOL!

Old 02-23-2017, 11:14 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by pj_baller00
What amp can you point me in the direction of? It won't be anything for me to purchase a new amp, I actually got this one for a smoking deal (70 bux) so it's not like I'm losing much, I JUST really want those speakers to sound like they should. I really want an amp that's gonna be able to fit inside the fairing like the punch. I forgot to mention there's an inline converter on them also, what should those dials be tuned at?
Thanks again for all the info, GREAT STUFF!!
I've got a JL M400/4 amp that I'm looking to unload pretty cheap, perfect working order- it fit right on top of my head unit with no tray needed - http://www.jlaudio.com/m400-4-marine...plifiers-98271
PM if interested

Old 02-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

I'm running a Rockford Fosgate TM400X4ad for those exact speakers. They sound amazing!!!!!

Old 02-23-2017, 09:48 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just out of curiosity....a few years ago, I read on this forum that the Rockford Fosgate PBR 200 and the Infinity Kappas 62.11's were the perfect match and bang for the buck. Now from what I'm reading is that the PBR 200 isn't cutting it for the Kappas. I'd prefer to keep the RF but if I'm not getting the most out of it due to something better, then inform me what would be a better match $$ wise. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:16 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
Just out of curiosity....a few years ago, I read on this forum that the Rockford Fosgate PBR 200 and the Infinity Kappas 62.11's were the perfect match and bang for the buck. Now from what I'm reading is that the PBR 200 isn't cutting it for the Kappas. I'd prefer to keep the RF but if I'm not getting the most out of it due to something better, then inform me what would be a better match $$ wise. Thanks.
times, products, and opinions change like I change underwear, almost daily.

seriously though, for the budget minded build I absolutely still recommend both of those components. There is ALWAYS going to be something better, more shiny, more feature-rich, etc. Figure out what you want up front both expectation wise and budget wise and go from there.

The PBR300x2 is by all means a great amp and paired with the Kappas, is still a great combination. The problem I see with some of these builds is people grossly mis-matching products and moreso, their expectations. You gotta figure out what you want up front.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 02-24-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:24 AM
pj_baller00
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ultranutz
times, products, and opinions change like i change underwear, almost daily.

Seriously though, for the budget minded build i absolutely still recommend both of those components. There is always going to be something better, more shiny, more feature-rich, etc. Figure out what you want up front both expectation wise and budget wise and go from there.

The pbr300x2 is by all means a great amp and paired with the kappas, is still a great combination. The problem i see with some of these builds is people grossly mis-matching products and moreso, their expectations. You gotta figure out what you want up front.

^^ that is key!!!!

Old 02-24-2017, 07:33 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

hold the phone!

I see above where you mention a line level converter being used to move the speaker leads from head unit to RCAs and then into the amp. If you're using a line level converter with this amp, you're robbing yourself of quite a bit of power. Those RCAs on these PBR amps are happy seeing 4+ volts as input voltage and that line-level converter ain't getting you anywhere near that.

Take that line level converter out of the equation and wire your speaker leads from head unit directly into amp. You're going to notice a HUGE difference.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:16 PM
pj_baller00
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
hold the phone!

I see above where you mention a line level converter being used to move the speaker leads from head unit to RCAs and then into the amp. If you're using a line level converter with this amp, you're robbing yourself of quite a bit of power. Those RCAs on these PBR amps are happy seeing 4+ volts as input voltage and that line-level converter ain't getting you anywhere near that.

Take that line level converter out of the equation and wire your speaker leads from head unit directly into amp. You're going to notice a HUGE difference.
I'm not sure why the guy who installed the punch amp previously used that converter and just didn't go the route you're telling me about ?
The converter that is wired into my bike is a SCOSCHE LOC80,

Quick Reply: Upgraded factory sounds need help tuning amp