Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget minded build started

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,692 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dave
Thanks mine is an 09 so following closely

Dave
No problem Dave. I'm making a few mistakes on my part from not being organized. I should have went through a list of EVERYTHING I had and needed . Was kinda real excited to get this done so it's like one step forward and two back. Just don't want to screw it up. There is some pretty competent guys here with some amazing builds. Don't want to look to Mickey Mouse if you know what I mean

Old 03-23-2017, 10:53 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Getting that amp in there is doable but it's much easier with one of BaddAzzBikes amp mounts. I realize that doesn't help you very much at this point though. Angle the amp in at a 45* angle with the high side against the gauges. It's tight but it'll fit. Then you have to figure out a way to secure it.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:59 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks SB. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of mounting it in the TP. It will never be removed and the few inches of depth the amp is I don't think I will miss. This way I can also fabricate a small bracket above the HU for the cross overs

Old 03-24-2017, 07:29 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

So what similar quality amps in that price range fit on the 13 prior without all the monkey business?

T

Old 03-24-2017, 09:14 AM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
So what similar quality amps in that price range fit on the 13 prior without all the monkey business?

T
Have to thank you once again TAILWIND. It's guys such as yourself that make this forum great.
Too answer your question.....I have no idea how these guys are stuffing this amp in the fairing. On my bike ( 2010) I have a wiring harness that heads down and plugs in around my cruise/light switch area. I have unplugged it and tried to te-route it but it is too short. This is causing the amp in question to stick out approximately 3" from the gauges. I'm not going too screw about and will just mount it in the T/P.
Also ended up ordering 1" spacers for the tour pack and longer RCA cables for the amp relocation

Last edited by paoloD; 03-24-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Awesome brotha!!!!

I only ask the question as I think we can do a better job assisting others if we can raise the bar about recommendations by including more detail about accessories that are required to make shix fit. Nothing more frustrating than having all the big parts in place only to find that u need a bunch of other unexpected crap and fabrication to make this stuff actually fit.

T.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Awesome brotha!!!!

I only ask the question as I think we can do a better job assisting others if we can raise the bar about recommendations by including more detail about accessories that are required to make shix fit. Nothing more frustrating than having all the big parts in place only to find that u need a bunch of other unexpected crap and fabrication to make this stuff actually fit.

T.
I'll take a pic of the harness that's in the way when I get home. It may just be our older bikes with certain accessories that can give troubles.

Almost like we need to put together a step by step assembly stickie for us beginners with pictures and such. Just like you said with recommendations for added parts that maybe needed for certain applications . That way questions can be answered easily with the added bonus of a picture. I know this stuff is second nature to some , but when you have boxes of parts and the bike ripped apart it could be daunting for some

Last edited by paoloD; 03-24-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:36 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Travis mine is a 2010 Limited and I got it to fit in mine without a bracket. Granted it was held in place by heavy duty zip ties and would've worked just fine but my OCD took over and I ordered a mount for it. Have also put it in an 08 Ultra and an 09 SG. It's tight as hell but it fits. My main reason for going with the mount was the side stress that was going against the RCA cable.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:46 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

SB you probably have more patience than I. If you don't mind me asking. What did you do with wiring harness that runs behind the mph gauge and goes to the acc/cruise area. This seems to be the issue at hand. It's too short for me to reroute.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:20 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Your gonna have to find the zip ties that are holding that harness in place and cut them to relieve some slack in the harness.

Quick Reply: Budget minded build started