Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget minded build started

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:16 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,692 Likes on 1,283 Posts

18 gauge wire should be acceptable for the remote amp power wire correct ? I'm not talking main power, just the one from h/u to amp.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:18 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Yessir that's fine.

The following users liked this post:
paoloD (03-24-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 02:17 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

Just a quick up date for the guys starting out with an install for the first time. If you are adding larger and deeper speakers to the t/p pods then you will need spacers. I got mine off amazon as they are cheap and there only job is to space the speakers out. If they are ugly then I can paint them. TAILWIND........phoned around for speaker grills. Good luck and no one wanted to help. Asked if they knew where to buy water resistant speaker cloth. Nobody had any idea what I was talking about. I'll find some myself. Have front speakers and crossovers wired and mounted. Ran 8 gauge ground and power to t/p , ran front speaker wires ,and drilled out a couple of small holes in t./p to feed wires into. Also ran an 8 gauge wire from h/u to tour pack for remote. Managed to get the CVO speaker grill from the local dealer and will wire up head unit and interface.
Once again thanks gent.

On a side note . Does anyone know how to fit these into my saddle bags ?

Old 03-25-2017, 02:26 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

sadly yes. American hardbag makes adaptors for them!! look up pdevore "4 amps in a RG fairing" thread. Get those JLs in there and a couple monster amps in the bag and you'll be off to the races. You'll need a new suspension but she'll be bumpin!

Old 03-25-2017, 02:38 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cpbedor
sadly yes. American hardbag makes adaptors for them!! look up pdevore "4 amps in a RG fairing" thread. Get those JLs in there and a couple monster amps in the bag and you'll be off to the races. You'll need a new suspension but she'll be bumpin!
You have to be kidding me ! Thanks I'll look up the thread. You guys do some amazing stuff. I have three in my little GTI and it blows me away. Can just imagine how awesome on a bike it would be.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:15 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

paoloD, for grill cloth
this this
works well treated with Kiwi Camp Dry which can be found at Walmart or Target.

Attached Thumbnails Budget minded build started-kiwi-camp-dry.jpg  
Old 03-27-2017, 09:32 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

As TAILWIND calls it. The little brown van arrived today and dropped off my 6" adapters and a new set of RCA cables. Bought the ten foot long RCA . I was surprised as I didn't have much left . Just right. The Metra 6" x 1" speaker adapter will be going to work with me to be modified for my Focal speakers. A not to the guys who haven't used those in the T/P. They are a big speaker so be prepared to do some extra work. Made an amp mount out of MDF and cover it in black fabric and mounted that as well.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:24 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

So today was the big day. Did a couple of small things. Hooked up the battery turned the key and head unit and amp powered on. Handle bar control worked flawless. Then it went down hill. I could only get one set of speakers to work. Switched the RCA around and the opposite speakers worked. Adjusting the H/U didn't do anything.........not sure what the hell I have done wrong ? All the wires are correct etc. So I started talking things apart. Still no good. While checking the speaker inputs at the amp I accidentally touched the front left wire to rear left and the speaker worked. so on a 4 speaker set up shouldn't each speaker bee on there own channel ? As in left front and so on ? I will have to look into it tomorrow. Had to walk away and take a breather. Not sure if this matters but my battery was low but had my charger hooked up.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by paoloD
So today was the big day. Did a couple of small things. Hooked up the battery turned the key and head unit and amp powered on. Handle bar control worked flawless. Then it went down hill. I could only get one set of speakers to work. Switched the RCA around and the opposite speakers worked. Adjusting the H/U didn't do anything.........not sure what the hell I have done wrong ? All the wires are correct etc. So I started talking things apart. Still no good. While checking the speaker inputs at the amp I accidentally touched the front left wire to rear left and the speaker worked. so on a 4 speaker set up shouldn't each speaker bee on there own channel ? As in left front and so on ? I will have to look into it tomorrow. Had to walk away and take a breather. Not sure if this matters but my battery was low but had my charger hooked up.
It may be the output wires are crossed.
The front connections are marked in red in the pics below.
Confirm that the speaker connections are in phase.
Positive to positive and negative to negative for each speaker.

Attached Thumbnails Budget minded build started-pn4-1000d-front.jpg   Budget minded build started-pioneer-mvh-x390bt-front.jpg  
Old 03-29-2017, 11:29 PM
paoloD
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the reply. Was reading up a little. I didn't do the initial setup of the head unit so I may have one of the sets of RCA set to sub woofer. This may be my issue? I originally had it set up like the pictures you posted but I ran two sets of RCA cables to the amp

Quick Reply: Budget minded build started