Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 FLHTK audio suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 12:49 PM
threedeuce5
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2014 FLHTK audio suggestions needed

I know, another one of those threads but any help would be appreciated.

I've put up with the OEM equipment and its limitations fairly well, but now I have a tourpak speaker blown and have decided it's time to upgrade.

So I ask the experts here... need suggestions for a decent system (4 speakers, amp, and install equipment needed, im planning on using factory HU if possible) for $700 or less.

-The budget isn't super strict, but to go over it I'd need a good reason/return
-Keeping FM isn't a deal-breaker but I'd like to keep it if possible
-Keeping handlebar controls is a must.
-I listen to everything from country to rap. Not looking for tons of bass but I want to be able to hear more than just the lyrics at highway speeds

I'll be doing the work myself and while I'm competent with tools and mechanicals, any products to simplify install would be awesome.

So let me hear some stuff which will let me hear some stuff! Thanks as always for you input.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:27 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

To keep it real close to your budget and a fairly easy set up with good all around sound but you will lose the fade option on the head unit.

Digital Design CC6.5 component for fairing $260
Digital Design DX 6.5 for tourpack pods $120
Digital Design D4 amp $280
Biketronics BT355 linelever $80
1/2speaker spacer for tour pack pods $10
Amp wiring kit and rca interconnect and "y" and speaker wire $50

There is a video of this set up in the video section up top

The following users liked this post:
threedeuce5 (04-08-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 PM
threedeuce5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Babyboy
To keep it real close to your budget and a fairly easy set up with good all around sound but you will lose the fade option on the head unit.

Digital Design CC6.5 component for fairing $260
Digital Design DX 6.5 for tourpack pods $120
Digital Design D4 amp $280
Biketronics BT355 linelever $80
1/2speaker spacer for tour pack pods $10
Amp wiring kit and rca interconnect and "y" and speaker wire $50

There is a video of this set up in the video section up top
Thanks a million for your suggestions. I see you've given the same advice to other posters and your dads bike sounds miles better than mine that's for sure.

Honestly I'd never heard of DD products before, but research is promising. I also haven't been in the audio game since the 90's when it was all Clarion, PPI and Kicker, etc etc.

Thanks again man, I'll be looking into it.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:34 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

For $100 you can add a BT Breakout harness and another BT355 line leveler and keep your fade function but I don't see any reason whatsoever to keep it. Fade on a motorcycle is an unneeded luxury IMO. The setup Rob mentioned is solid. An alternative to the DD DX 6.5s would be what I'm running in my lowers and tourpak, which is the AD Design CX62. I've been super impressed with them, although I've not heard the DDs that Rob speaks of. Good luck. Kudos to you for stopping in here before you buy a bunch of junk and have to try and make it all play together.

threedeuce5 (04-08-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:19 PM
threedeuce5
Cruiser

Almost got all my equipment purchased and all I have left to buy are the fairing speaks. Here's what I have so far:

Biketronics BTBOC Rushmore PnP kit $214.48 w/forum and military discount
Infinity Kappa 62.11i 6.5" coaxial (rear) $100.95 - amazon
Sound stream PN4. 1000D Picasso Nano $128.99 - amazon
EFX Harley-Davidson Amplifier Wiring Kit $39.99 crutchfield
Krystal Kable 2 Channel 1/2M Twisted Pair RCA Cable $22.18 shipped
Xscorpion SP-DE65 Stackable 6-1/2-Inch Speaker 1/2-Inch Up Depth Extender $6.99 amazon
Dynamat 10425 18" x 32" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener $26.49 amazon

Think I've decided to go with BBoy's suggestion of the Digital Design CC6.5 but have a question; where/how did you mount the tweeters on your Dad's bike? I can't see them in your video.

Critiques on what i've got so far are appreciated. If i've gone horribly wrong somewhere let me know. It's all still returnable ATM, lol.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:37 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by threedeuce5

Think I've decided to go with BBoy's suggestion of the Digital Design CC6.5 but have a question; where/how did you mount the tweeters on your Dad's bike? I can't see them in your video.
I (and most of us) ordered Hogtunes grills, cut a hole in the center, flush mounted the tweeter, fabricated a bracket to hold them in (I used a piece of brass stock), then you can cover the grill and tweeter with hydrophobic speaker cloth to make it look completely stock. I have a different tweeter but the safe hole saw size for you is a 1 7/8 and use a dremel to file back until it fits snugly. That's a rough overview. We can help you with more detail when the time comes.
Name:  7DF9819E-02E5-4594-8C43-CD2FE249364A_zpsk2igtkbf.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  228.7 KB

Also, that 18 x 32 sheet of dynamat will leave you with very little if any excess to cover a batwing. You won't have the luxury of being wasteful when you cut your panels.

threedeuce5 (04-08-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 03:05 PM
threedeuce5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cpbedor
Also, that 18 x 32 sheet of dynamat will leave you with very little if any excess to cover a batwing. You won't have the luxury of being wasteful when you cut your panels.
This was based off someone else's recommendation and he's got pictures of how he cut his sheets. We'll see how it goes as I'm gonna copy his Dynamat install.

Noticed you're using the BT brackets. Will your suggestion not work with the stock speaker pods? If that's the case then any suggestions for "stock pod friendly" speakers? I don't want to have to shell out for the brackets just yet as my budget will be tight after the DD purchase.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:21 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior

This was based off someone else's recommendation and he's got pictures of how he cut his sheets. We'll see how it goes as I'm gonna copy his Dynamat install.

Noticed you're using the BT brackets. Will your suggestion not work with the stock speaker pods? If that's the case then any suggestions for "stock pod friendly" speakers? I don't want to have to shell out for the brackets just yet as my budget will be tight after the DD purchase.
Did his dynamat sheets look anything like this? https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-rushmore.html
If so, there is very little extra if any at all.

As for pod friendly speakers, there's a few guys that know what will fit and what wont. I'm not that guy however.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:24 PM
threedeuce5
Cruiser

Your thread isn't the one I was referencing, but dayum that's awesome. You must be very meticulous in nature. Good work man!

Old 04-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

Almost got all my equipment purchased and all I have left to buy are the fairing speaks. Here's what I have so far:

Biketronics BTBOC Rushmore PnP kit $214.48 w/forum and military discount
Infinity Kappa 62.11i 6.5" coaxial (rear) $100.95 - amazon
Sound stream PN4. 1000D Picasso Nano $128.99 - amazon
EFX Harley-Davidson Amplifier Wiring Kit $39.99 crutchfield
Krystal Kable 2 Channel 1/2M Twisted Pair RCA Cable $22.18 shipped
Xscorpion SP-DE65 Stackable 6-1/2-Inch Speaker 1/2-Inch Up Depth Extender $6.99 amazon
Dynamat 10425 18" x 32" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener $26.49 amazon

Critiques on what i've got so far are appreciated. If i've gone horribly wrong somewhere let me know. It's all still returnable ATM, lol.

Here are a couple of picture of how I mounted the tweeters in the stock grills.I cut out the center of the plastic support and secured the tweeter with the supplied nut.

2014 FLHTK audio suggestions needed-20170211_100534-1.jpg
2014 FLHTK audio suggestions needed-20170211_103606-1.jpg

threedeuce5 (04-08-2017)

Quick Reply: 2014 FLHTK audio suggestions needed