Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Audio Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.

P

Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 PM
One Of The Regulars
Default 2012 FLHTK CB and Radio Antennas

Dumb question of the day .. is there supposed to be a difference between the CB antenna and the radio antenna on a 2012 FLHTK? They look the same, and they have the same number at the base of each.

If they're are in fact the same antenna, how do you tune the SWR for the CB?

Curt
2006 RSV
1999 Bushtec Roadstar & 2011 Bunkhouse SE
Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Hang Around
Question

one should say am/fm (left side and cb on right . there are a difference in the frequencies of the two
SWR ? Stands for what?
2011 Limited, Cherry/Merlot, Woods 777 cams,Adj, push rods, Roller tappets, Hi-Five Mach II a/c,TTS Mastertune,Dyno tuned engine,Jackpot 2-1-2 headers,Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers- slash down, Fairing mirrors,LRS windshield and a bunch other $100.. hits.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Senior Rider
Default SWR = Standing Wave Ratio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concours View Post
Dumb question of the day .. is there supposed to be a difference between the CB antenna and the radio antenna on a 2012 FLHTK? They look the same, and they have the same number at the base of each.

If they're are in fact the same antenna, how do you tune the SWR for the CB?

Curt
SWR = Standing Wave Ratio...

Good question, not dumb at all...but I know the CB antenna on my 12 limited is on left rear of the bike... I never use my CB...not real sure how to adjust it on this one. I removed the liner from the tour pack and you can see the coax connection on the left side and a single wire to a screw for the right side so it has to be the AM/FM.
Now is there a difference in the antennas?...not sure, I have not looked at them that close. Maybe there is antena tuner close to the antenna that is matching the impendence.

I remember in my outlaw CB kicker days on most of the antennas that looked simular to these we have...there was a trim pot in the top of the antenna usually under a slip-on rubber cap...to tune the reflection. I am out of town and not around my bike now to look at them close to see, but I doubt there is one there.
It never occured to me till you asked this question. I got an old SWR/watt meter...I need to see how bad it is off.

Ask your tech at the HD shop to check the SWR...see what kinda looks you get.
It will be a week of so before I get back to my bike to look.

Change your leaders not your light bulbs!!!
103CI Screamin Eagle Pro Race Tuner, Stage 1 with K&N air filter, SuperTrap 4" Stoughts, stock decatted header, Dyno at 79.10 HP & 92.75 Tourque. Lots of chrome extras. All LED's
Old 04-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Hang Around

So which antenna to which side? 2 posts above conflict with each other. My service manual does not specify which antenna to what side. I have both 2009 and 2011.

Sometimes you're the windshield... sometimes you're the bug
Old 04-13-2012, 07:17 AM

looking at the bike from the back, the CB is on the left, the AM/FM on the right

"TTS FOR DUMMIES" by Mr.Wizard
"SEPST FOR DUMMIES" by Foxster
"PV Step By Step" by sportytrace
2012 FLHTK
Motor: Vee-Twin Street Port, Andrews 57H, Fullsac DX, CVO 4" Cans w/Fullsac 2.25" Power Cores, TTS, Mach2 A/C, Barnett +1, 480 Spring, ClutchWiz
Audio: Kenwood KIV-BT901, RF 3sixty.3 DSP, (2) SoundStream TN4.900D, Biketronics (4) 7.1", (2) 6.5", (2) 6x9"
Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Hang Around
Default Antenna

On my 2012 FLHTK and I asked the Harley Shop, If you sit on the bike the CB in on the right with AM.FM on left.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Road Captain

once again, as earlier in the thread, the two last posts contradict one another..

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons of Liberty Riders
“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it”
……Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Road Warrior

If you look at the wire to each antenna you would assume that the CB is on the left (clutch side). It isn't. The AM/FM is on the left, the CB is on the right. To verify - turn your radio on (not the CB) and disconnect the left antenna. Each antenna is marked at the bottom.

"... why is it that Leftists can tell you just what the Second Amendment does not mean, but never tell you what it does mean?"
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Hang Around
Default Antenna Identification

Your observation is correct and your interpretation is incorrect. The Harley CB antenna is a no ground plane antenna. The AM/FM antenna is the antenna with the coax. There is a coax connector on the right side of the bike looking from back to front which can be disconnected in the tour pack to make SWR reading. That is for the CB antenna. The reading that checked with the HD dealership has it correct.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM

P