Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 ohm speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:57 PM
tahmeeee@hotmail.com
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 ohm speakers

i notice that the stock harley speakers on my 09 streetglide are 2 ohm...........and i notice that the aftermarket speakers that i have seen are 4 ohm. what would happen if i used a set of 4 ohm in place. is there a way to make 4 ohm speakers work

Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't say if they will work or not as I've got limited knowledge as far as electronics go. But someone will chime in here shortly that's more knowlegable than me. I've got aftermarket 2 ohm speakers in mine. I believe that you can use 4 ohm speakers, but it takes more watts to drive a 4 ohm than it does a 2 ohm. My understanding is it takes twice the power of a stereo to drive a 4 ohm than it does a 2 ohm, so they would work, you'd just have to turn your volume up louder to get the same amount of volume. Again, I'm no authority on this, and I could be wrong.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Take a look at J&M Rokker speakers, they are 2 ohm. I love mine!

Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff is correct.
4ohm speakers will work, but the output power will be decreased.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,786 Likes on 18,560 Posts

I put the HD Boom Speaker ( No Amp ) set on my 2009 FLHTCU and I think they sound great.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:29 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

4 ohms will work fine as Jeff said. Look around on here (classifieds) for some used J&M speakers to fit your ride, they come with a lifetime warranty. I've seen a few pair floating around as of recently. Would be a better investment than 4 ohm speakers IMHO.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Just to be clear ,,,,,

any amplifier that has a MINIMUM impedance rating of 2-ohms, will accept a speaker that is 2-ohms or GREATER, ((4, 8, 16 ,,, as high as 32 ohms if you want)), but as Iron Cross indicated, the higher the impedance, the less power ((watts)) will be able to flow thru the speaker ,,,,

but do NOT use a speaker LESS that 2-ohms like some of the Harley brand speakers which are rated at 1-ohm (((only the lord knows why ?!?)) ,,,,,,

good video here for complete explanation HOW-TO configure/wire 2, 4, 6 or 8 speakers on your Harley Bagger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJj7C...4LpftUbhq26J9L ,,,,,, ,,,,,,

Old 03-11-2012, 09:28 PM
jl207299
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There's some good answers and advice here. Anything LARGER than 2 Ohms and you'll be fine. You're pushing power from a head unit to speakers, not pushing power out of a generator to loads. Impedence matching (i.e., making sure you have equal resistance on both sides of the circuit, which is what your ohms represent) is critical with energy draw to maximize it, but in a scenario like this, its no big deal. You'll likely just have to crank your volume up a little more to get the same effect or "loudness".

Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 PM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to revisit an old thread but it was the closest i found:
Could I upgrade my head unit to the Sony dsx-ms60 and keep my 4 hd boom audio 2 ohm speakers without issue? no amp just head unit to speakers.

Last edited by iglideUC; 02-25-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM
InvertedB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iglideUC
Sorry to revisit an old thread but it was the closest i found:
Could I upgrade my head unit to the Sony dsx-ms60 and keep my 4 hd boom audio 2 ohm speakers without issue? no amp just head unit to speakers.
I wouldn't take my word as gospel, but following one of the earlier points made in the thread regarding not using speakers with lower impedance than the headunit, the Boom! Audio speakers are only 2 ohms whereas the Sony DSX-MS60 says it's rated at 4 ohms. Looking on Sony's website it says speaker impedence 4-8 ohms.

I'm sure one of the actual stereo gurus could give you a better answer and it will probably turn out that I am as wrong as can be.

Quick Reply: 2 ohm speakers