Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to add JL 6.5 subs on Fairing lowers

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Is it possible to add JL 6.5 subs on Fairing lowers

Also can you combine subs and speakers with one amp? I want to use my current boom speakers on my Roadglide and add 6.5 subs without adding a dedicated sub amp.

I would like to use a 4 channel amp and use the other 2 channels as subs.
Is it possible?

Yay or Nay?

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Brents UltraGlide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Also can you combine subs and speakers with one amp? I want to use my current boom speakers on my Roadglide and add 6.5 subs without adding a dedicated sub amp.

Is it possible?

Yay or Nay?
Yes and no. The amp will work fine for driving them, problem is that they need 4.25 inches min depth and .15 cubic feet of net volume inside lowers. I think you will find you don't have the depth or required volume they need? If they do have the depth but not the volume required then the bass output will be greatly reduced.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb

Is it possible?

Yay or Nay?
Yes you can on the question of adding subs in addition to your boom speakers on a 4 channel amp. There are many things to consider instead of just throwing a set of speakers at a system and expecting it to sound good.

What amp?
What specific boom audio speakers?
What specific model 6.5" subs

As for putting 6.5 subs in the lowers, I agree with Brent in fitment (depth might be an issue) however there's more to volumetric efficiency (.15 cubic feet of air space) than simply saying it won't work. There's ways around that and polyfil is one of them. I've used polyfil in 2nd order through 6th order bandpass subwoofer boxes and isobaric boxes since the 80s and IT WORKS.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Brents UltraGlide
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Yes you can on the question of adding subs in addition to your boom speakers on a 4 channel amp. There are many things to consider instead of just throwing a set of speakers at a system and expecting it to sound good.

What amp?
What specific boom audio speakers?
What specific model 6.5" subs

As for putting 6.5 subs in the lowers, I agree with Brent in fitment (depth might be an issue) however there's more to volumetric efficiency (.15 cubic feet of air space) than simply saying it won't work. There's ways around that and polyfil is one of them. I've used polyfil in 2nd order through 6th order bandpass subwoofer boxes and isobaric boxes since the 80s and IT WORKS.
Agreed polyfill can work very well to simulate increased box volume, but it has its limits. Jl only has w3-6.5 subs, I would assume he would be looking at the 4 ohm versions not the 8. Jl specs box at 7.5x7.5x 5.25 internal size, don't think lowers have even half that much? could be wrong haven't check for myself. If it is only about half polyfill won't make up that much. And the deeper bass will pay the price, 60hz and up will be fine. All depends what he is looking for I guess. I have the K3P Focal's, so they have a seperate tweeter and 6.5 mid in fairing and have the second 6.5 bass driver in my lower. Its deep bass performance is way off from when I had them in car door. And at hi way speeds do next to nothing, but look cool! LOL They are a little different animal as they are door speakers, so they are really designed as infinate baffle speakers not sealed enclosure subs. Focal has a product that takes polyfill to the next level and may give it a try. Won't be till summer but will report my findings.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

agreed although it will make a big difference in respect to not using it at all. But I guess the point is futile since the speakers aren't going to fit anyways. LOL

Old 01-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Brents UltraGlide
Intermediate

agreed although it will make a big difference in respect to not using it at all. But I guess the point is futile since the speakers aren't going to fit anyways. LOL
Now he has me thinking of doing it , just to see how it sounds!! Would remake pods to increase internal volume first.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

oh yeah.. those bass ports that HD sells to port the (.14 cu ft) rear pods into the tourpak.. total waste of $ and installation time. Mid-summer last year, took 2 Ultras, the polk mm651s, RF pbr300x2, sony dsx310 headunit, in both bikes all settings exactly the same including gains. The polyfil tightened up that low end bass so much in comparison to the bass ported pods that were so sloppy on the low end.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 01-09-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Brents UltraGlide
Intermediate

oh yeah.. those bass ports that HD sells to port the (.14 cu in) rear pods into the tourpak.. total waste of $ and installation time. Mid-summer last year, took 2 Ultras, the polk mm651s, RF pbr300x2, sony dsx310 headunit, in both bikes all settings exactly the same including gains. The polyfil tightened up that low end bass so much in comparison to the bass ported pods that were so sloppy on the low end.

Ya that makes sense as the all the speakers we use are disigned for infinate baffle. With porting the port tuning would be so far off it would just screw with the speaker, sealed with polyfil would work way better.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

yeah just wanted to see/hear exactly what so-called HD/HK engineers thought porting a 5.25" midrange speaker into a 2.7cu ft box was going to do..

Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts

I was looking at the specs of the W3's and the only way I think can fit would be those spacers used that hogtunes carries for their lowers. The amp I would want to use would be the one you are using UltraNutz (Pn4. 520D) Since they are both 2 and 4 ohm stable. From the looks of it I would have to wire them seperately. I would like to retain my boom speakers for my roadglide ultra since I already have them on. But replacing them would probably be a better idea

Last edited by vizcarmb; 01-09-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to add JL 6.5 subs on Fairing lowers