Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM
bugs-06
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hidden Antenna

Thinking of trying Harleys Boom Audio Hidden A/M/F/M/W/B Antenna part #76000266. Any one using this looking for feed back on its performance. I know its used in the SE models.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Gmundboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine should be here this week... I've read all the reports and tests, and apparently it is superior in performance... I'm just looking very forward to loosing the rear antanae. Also installing cruise control at the same time.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gmundboy
Mine should be here this week... I've read all the reports and tests, and apparently it is superior in performance... I'm just looking very forward to loosing the rear antanae. Also installing cruise control at the same time.
Any updates to this?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 PM
ratdoc
Tourer

You could try your stock antenna under the fairing first. It fits perfectly across the top and works great for me.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ratdoc
You could try your stock antenna under the fairing first. It fits perfectly across the top and works great for me.
That's what I planned on doing. Just curious if Gmundboy has his yet and how it works.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 PM
cbumdumb
Intermediate

Installed hidden Boom antenna on mine will be going back to factory whips . Reception very poor in my area with them .

Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 AM
Diesel_tx
Cruiser

I have one. It kinda works. Stations I could get before I don't now and others are not as strong. As soon as I can get some cnc time to make a bracket for where I want it, I am going back to whip. As long as the fairing cap is off it works great. Put the fairing cap on and reception is cut in half.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

this is the issue with these in-fairing and also in-windshield antennas. No matter what you do with them they are NOT going to be as strong or have as good a reception as a whip antenna, period.

If you'll notice (and if you're old enough) a lot of car manufacturers went to in-windshield and in-rear window antennas many years ago. They are all putting whip antennas on cars again. It's a great idea but the only thing proven about this technology is it simply is not as good as a whip.

Originally Posted by Diesel_tx
I have one. It kinda works. Stations I could get before I don't now and others are not as strong. As soon as I can get some cnc time to make a bracket for where I want it, I am going back to whip. As long as the fairing cap is off it works great. Put the fairing cap on and reception is cut in half.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

and thats why i dont want to change my whips over to the shorty's even though, I rarely listen to FM.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
this is the issue with these in-fairing and also in-windshield antennas. No matter what you do with them they are NOT going to be as strong or have as good a reception as a whip antenna, period.

If you'll notice (and if you're old enough) a lot of car manufacturers went to in-windshield and in-rear window antennas many years ago. They are all putting whip antennas on cars again. It's a great idea but the only thing proven about this technology is it simply is not as good as a whip.
Geez...way to make me feel old UltraNutZ!!

I put the HD relocation kit on my Glide- that, and the shorty antenna seem to work okay for the few times I bother trying to listen to FM (mainly for Yankees broadcasts). The relocation kit moves the antenna mount point out under the fender filler panel, and it's lower now- so my Tour Pak fits without interference. That's all I cared about- I don't listen to terrestrial radio often, but when I do, the Yankees games aren't on a station strong enough (even though it's FM) to pick up well with an in-fairing antenna.

Quick Reply: Hidden Antenna