Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird issue with radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird issue with radio

I have a Kenwood KIV-700 with an Arc miniamp and two 5 1/4 Hertz speakers in the front. No speakers in the rear since the miniamp is only 2 channel. I have had this system for roughly 3 years and this issure just started 2 months ago. Haven't had any problems with it (other than it's not loud enough for me) until now. Here's the problem. When I switch the bike to the ACC mode or before I fire up the bike, the radio works fine. Sound comes out of the speakers. But, when I start up the bike, the radio "reboots", which it's always done that, comes back on and no sound whatsoever comes from speakers. Radio is on, but no sound when motor is running.

I've tried several different techniques from having the radio powered off and then starting up the bike and then turning on the radio (works sometimes, not all the time) to turning on radio before starting the bike and while the radio is powering up, starting up the bike (again, works sometimes, not all the time).

Any ideas as well as any recommendations on a better sounding system?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I'd call ken wood to chat.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:46 PM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the problem is the amp not turning on. If it senses a problem it will not turn on. Mine was getting a low voltage fault. cleaned all my battery cables and fixed it. Fault light on amp. but you have to have fairing off to see it.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 AM
Wylie_Tunes
Novice

A DVOM (digital volt/ohm) meter would tell you whats going on at the amp when the problem coccures. test the B+m remote turn-on and ground at the amp. The back track to the head-unit as needed.

A typical 2 chnl can run 4 speakers, wired in series or parallel depending on the speakers nominal impedence and the amps minimum impedence that its stable to. But this may not make your system any louder to you while under way. Once under way, speakers behind the occupents do not contribute much due to wind and engine noise. We deal with this all the time on boats.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I think wolfman66 nailed it here. In order to determine for a fact you'll need to pull the outer fairing cap off and see what's happening with the amp power indicators when this happens.

Battery ground wires have caused problems with these bikes for many a years. Check your ground wire at the battery and at the frame for corrosion and make sure it's secure.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 AM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior

Thanks for the replies/suggestions. :-)