Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (http://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio Systems (http://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/)
-   -   Class D AMPS and FM reception issues (http://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems/862704-class-d-amps-and-fm-reception-issues.html)

Voldemort 04-12-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger (Post 11154095)
Why not offer some REAL help or knowledge, instead of using this thread to advertise your own products?

I don't think I've ever read a post or thread from you that wasn't self-serving and frankly, it's getting OLD.

:icon_ditto:

UltraNutZ 04-12-2013 06:25 AM

I don't think anyone for the most part is knocking the "packaged" products. The issue most have is the astronomical pricing for all these "plug and play/motorcycle friendly" systems and to be quite honest I as an experienced audio guy simply don't get it. They're nothing more than a car audio product with a conformal coating on the circuit boards. And at $750+ for a 500w amp that the end result can be accomplished in the same manner with a product costing $139, that's kind of a no brainer. Especially with folks like GP, HPM, UN, Pioneer74, among others, helping these lesser experienced folks with the wiring and installation along the way.

Somewhere along the line these motorcycle friendly manufacturers/resellers will get it. Certainly not asking to give the product away but a more realistic pricing scheme for these products will without doubt relate into increased purchasing by people who are becoming aware that there are just as good if not better options out there for a LOT less money.

I've met you a couple of times John, talked with FireCap501/Wayne a few times, Bill/Wayne at Biketronics, Scott at HAT, Scott at HT, etc. and ALL great people so certainly nothing personal cause you all know I rag you all. :-) Just need to realize a lot more savy spenders are being introduced into the HD world as opposed to 5 years ago when there was only 1 option, paying high prices because the products were and still are being touted as "motorcycle systems".

As for the FM interference issue: Most of these manufacturers never knew a problem existed until folks started putting car audio amps in bikes on top of head units, saddlebags, etc. which are in close proximity to the FM signal path. They never knew the issues existed because in a car those same amps are mounted in trunks, under seats, in center consoles, etc. all away from the head unit and FM signal path. Alpine, JL Audio, HT, HW, Kenwood, Soundstream, and even BT (although they've fixed it already) have all acknowledged the recent rash of issues with Class D switching power supplies since the introduction of their products into the motorcycle world.

JAMP-250H series = Arc Audio KS125.2BX2 - Class H - No interference issues with that as it's a different technology.
JAMP-500H series = Arc Audio KS125.4 - Class H - No interference issues with that as it's a different technology
KS500.1 - Class H - No interference issues with that as it's a different technology

Strait 04-13-2013 01:36 AM

Well it's official I have no Fm reception loss on my system it is same now as it was with no amp. So my prior theory of trying wouldn't work seeing as I don't have an issue.

I lied I get fm reception sometime and sometime I do not this stuff is crazy.

JMJOHN 04-13-2013 01:46 PM

westTexasRanger ,,,,,,

would you like an in-depth technical piece posted here on how & why amplifiers CAN cause RF interference with the FM signals received by the Harley radio ? ,,,,,,

and if that technical piece brings out shortcomings in some of our competitors products, would you then bitch at me because you think I am finding a way to "bash" a competitors product ? ,,,,,,

Streetrockking 04-13-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger (Post 11154095)
Why not offer some REAL help or knowledge, instead of using this thread to advertise your own products?

I don't think I've ever read a post or thread from you that wasn't self-serving and frankly, it's getting OLD.

Exactly!!

UltraNutZ 04-13-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strait (Post 11159446)
Well it's official I have no Fm reception loss on my system it is same now as it was with no amp. So my prior theory of trying wouldn't work seeing as I don't have an issue.

this is great news.. now tell us how your wiring is run for power in the wire tray under the fuel tank and how your amp is mounted inside the fairing. As well as what antenna you're using please.

Thanks

UltraNutZ 04-13-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMJOHN (Post 11161004)
would you like an in-depth technical piece posted here on how & why amplifiers CAN cause RF interference with the FM signals received by the Harley radio ?

I don't feel this is necessary as we already know what the issue is caused from and that's the type/brand of transistors used in the switching power supply circuits of these Class D amps. What we're trying to determine and test for is a FIX for it. If you've got some information that could possible enlighten us on this, man I'm all ears... and so is Alpine, Kenwood, JL Audio, Hogtunes, Hawg-Wired, etc.

Thanks John

jussdandy 04-13-2013 05:43 PM

well, I tried a lot of different ideas today, made no difference.
Ran a new power wire to the battery, got rid of the high level plugs and switched all to RCA plugs. A friend told me to try chokes, didn't really know what he was talking about so I went to Radio Shack , they didn't either, so I found some RF Chokes , bought 4 of them and wired them in, no difference, so I took them back out. Was gonna redo the ground but I was getting frustrated and got to thinking, don't think it could be the ground or all would not work not just some. the stations that do come in are strong.
on a side note I broke out my old mp3 player and tried to download some tunes on it, Told me I needed to update to newer software lol, I have windows 8, don't think I can update past that yet. so I couldn't add any tunes to it.
Randy

Strait 04-14-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ (Post 11161349)
this is great news.. now tell us how your wiring is run for power in the wire tray under the fuel tank and how your amp is mounted inside the fairing. As well as what antenna you're using please.

Thanks

Had great fm Thursday night with amp running and Friday night I went to squat this morning I got one station others nothing so I'm at a loss now. Power wire ran through right side of tray ground made in fairing on support bracket. Stock head unit with stock antenna out back using a gauge power wire I'm beginning to think its the amp doing it to the factory antenna. Just a thought. I spoke a little to soon on my earlier post.

JM John I understand your sticking up for YOUR company I understand but this thread is not about pushing YOUR product if folks want YOUR product they will buy it. Your post directed toward west Texas ranger was very unprofessional in my opinion and the bitching is getting this thread full of useless information.

WestTexasRanger 04-14-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strait (Post 11163053)
Your post directed toward west Texas ranger was very unprofessional in my opinion and the bitching is getting this thread full of useless information.

:icon_ditto: Thanks, Strait!