Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Class D AMPS and FM reception issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:12 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts
Exclamation Class D AMPS and FM reception issues

As requested so we can possibly point manufacturers directly to this link. All non-essential jabber will be deleted

Simply post issues you're having and be as specific as possible with anything you've experienced such as

Amp Make and Model
Head Unit; whether stock or aftermarket is enough
Anything you've done or tried to help resolve the FM interference issues on your bike.

Thanks,
UltraNutz

Originally Posted by rrcrum
Installed the PN4.520D amp with my Sony Head Unit and Polk speakers, lets just say it rocks with the IPOD plugged in.

Problem I am having is now I have no to little FM radio reception (yea I still like radio), when a channel does come in it kind of fades in and out (weak to strong), I am still using the stock setup for antenna, have tried both my short antennas and the original long whip antenna.

Initially bought a amplified antenna from auto parts store for inner fairing and that was useless and took it back.

Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by 1sweetglide08
Yes, this is a known problem when using class D amps such as the Soundstream amp. I have the same problem also... the louder I turn my radio up the worst the signal gets. Do a search on this topic and you will see the reason why in greater detail. It's just the nature with class D amps.
Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
Sorry about the problem your having rrcrum, but you're not alone. Many folks are having problems with the Soundstream & radio reception. Fortunately, I'm not one of them and so far no one has figured out a cure for the problem. As 1sweetglide08, this is a problem inherent to Class D amps and speculation is that the reason we're seeing the problem on our bikes (as opposed to folks running this in there cars) is the close proximity of the amp to the head unit.

I know that one forum member was talking about moving his amp to the tour-pak or saddlebags, to see if the problem went away, but I don't know if he actually did it or what the results were.

I have used both the Alpine KTP-445U and the Soundstream PN4.520D on my bike, which are both Class D, without any interference problems.

Hopefully someone will figure this out!
Originally Posted by Nitro NHRA
same here..
Originally Posted by Mentalmadness
Can you guys please email soundstream...i did and they told me I was the only one that reported any issues...Or we need to make a thread so I can reference them to it.
Originally Posted by Mentalmadness
Originally Posted by ULTRABAGGIN
Just installed a Soundstream 4.520 with Titan II speakers in my 2011 Ultra Classic and still have a STRONG FM signal. Using a hidden antenna in the fairing. I made sure not to run the power wire near the antenna and have a good solid ground to the frame with 10ga wire. Not sure it this is the reason or if I'm just one of the lucky ones.
Originally Posted by Strait
I didn't have any problems with my fm reception but I'm running factory antenna.

Mental madness I emailed ss about another issue and I got a very cut dry bs reply back I think you might do better getting someone on the phone I wasn't very I pressed with there email customer service. I sent them another back on the issue hope to hear back on it but doubt I will.
Originally Posted by Strait
I too like the fm on occasion. According to some info I have been informed of the switching inside the amp in the power supply switches somewhere in the frequency band that the fm radio is and this is what causes the interference. Don't know any other particulars or details don't have a reference for it. Just throwing it out there I'm sure someone can clarify or correct me on this statement. But I haven't had much time to really see if I have an issue or not on a clear day. When I know what stations I can pick up.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 04-10-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 AM
jussdandy
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2003 electra glide classic, sock antenna, stock HU , rear pods added.
SS 4.520 amp, polk speakers. Added a antenna amp. Did not help at all

Lost most FM reception, the stations I can get are fine, dosnt seem to make a diffrernce if station is close or Not local stong station comes in fine another station in the same building will not come in

Randy

Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I'll be watching to see how this plays out on the PN2.350D amp when it's released? My Arc amp is installed above my JVC deck and I have no reception issues...

Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

funny thing is... it doesn't affect all. Mine is in no way affected with the Sony HU nor was the Stock HU affected.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by rrcrum
Installed the PN4.520D amp with my Sony Head Unit and Polk speakers, lets just say it rocks with the IPOD plugged in.

Problem I am having is now I have no to little FM radio reception (yea I still like radio), when a channel does come in it kind of fades in and out (weak to strong), I am still using the stock setup for antenna, have tried both my short antennas and the original long whip antenna.

Initially bought a amplified antenna from auto parts store for inner fairing and that was useless and took it back.

Any suggestions?
can you do something for me please..

take a look at this picture. This is from Walt's install. Mine is run exactly the same and neither of us have issues.

Which side of the wiring tray did you run your power wire down?

you'll notice that I ran Walt's (as well as mine) down the left side and if you save this picture to your computer and zoom in on it you'll see the FM antenna wire (larger black wire) run down the right side of the tray.

Let's seperate these wires because now that I start thinking about this and some of the comments being made like "as the volume increases the FM gets worse" makes me think that as more current flows through that battery wire, the more interference is being injected into the FM circuit.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 04-09-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a 2012 Street Glide, stock antenna, stock HU, Sound Steam 4.520D amp and Polk DB651 speakers. My amp is wired into my saddlebag. My FM reception goes in and out and some stations is heavily distorted. I called Sound Stream (I don't recall the person's name) but I was told that this is not a known issue and I should take the amp back to whereever I purchased it.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:15 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

keep em coming guys.. Any amp doesn't matter.

I'm slowly learning of many other Class D amps such as JL Audio, Hogtunes, Kenwood, Sony, Soundstream, and Alpine so far all causing these issues.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:15 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by kryingame
I have a 2012 Street Glide, stock antenna, stock HU, Sound Steam 4.520D amp and Polk DB651 speakers. My amp is wired into my saddlebag. My FM reception goes in and out and some stations is heavily distorted. I called Sound Stream (I don't recall the person's name) but I was told that this is not a known issue and I should take the amp back to whereever I purchased it.
Right saddlebag?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

i have the same problem,does anyone think the grade of your amp hot wire and ground wire would make a differance,i bought a cheapo set up on amazion.how about anyone else.going to buy a better wire setup and see if that helps,also check the way i got the wires run.oh have ss amp also

Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 PM
blue66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2006 ultra. Stock antennas, stock head unit. Had amp power wire ran down left side. Grounded at ground point on neck. 10 Gauge automotive wire. Tried grounding stock antenna, head unit, amp, etc. with aux. ground wire. Tried complete antenna unit from a car. Base grounded and ungrounded. Stations would come and go, higher the volume the worse the interference. If I would hold antenna as far away from amp as possible could get a few stations, if I tilted antenna mast towards amp(witihin a few inches) zero stations would come in. Called soundstream and was told IT IS NOT THE AMP, IMPOSSIBLE. Amp worked great, FM did not.

Quick Reply: Class D AMPS and FM reception issues