Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this work, or am I just complicating things?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 AM
sebby
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this work, or am I just complicating things?

I recently acquired a 2010 Ultra limited and have been busy customizing it. first thing I did was add the quick detach tour pack kit so i can convert it for around town riding. Now i am looking at upgrading the sound system. I don't want to change the stock look, so i figured i would just keep the HK head. I was going to use polk mm651 speakers in the fairing and in the rear pods as well. My plan was to add a RF PBR300x2 to drive the front speakers, and then in the tour pack, add a second PBR300x2 to drive the rear pod speakers. Since the tour Pack has a lighter adapter, i figured i could splice into the speaker wires that come from the hear and add a quick disconnect so that i can take the entire tour pack out without having to muck with disconnecting the speakers. is this too much work for too little gain as far as pumping more power out of the rear speakers? Would i be better off doing a pbr300x4 and driving in fairing speakers and speakers in the lowers?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

i'd put the 2nd amp in the fairing (yep it'll fit) and then only run speaker wires to the tourpak pods with quick disconnects like
this this
on them. This way you only have speakers to disconnect with quick disconnects when you take the tourpak off. When you have the tourpak on, you'll be glad you've got speakers back there.

Stear clear of the PBR300x4..

Old 04-15-2013, 10:01 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
This way you only have speakers to disconnect with quick disconnects when you take the tourpak off. When you have the tourpak on, you'll be glad you've got speakers back there.
Won't the speakers come off with the tour pack ??

Where's the power & ground coming from ???

That's where your quick disconnects will be , right ??( power & ground )

No need to dis-connect speakers, they are attached. Or am I missing something ???

Last edited by GLACIERPEARL; 04-15-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

yep you missed it. :-)

Put 2nd amp inside fairing.. only need to disconnect speakers via quick connects..

Old 04-15-2013, 10:39 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
yep you missed it. :-)

Put 2nd amp inside fairing.. only need to disconnect speakers via quick connects..
I REALLY missed it...... I thought the 2nd amp was in the tour pack !!! WOW !! Is there room for 2 in the fairing ??

OK,...I see .....the OP said he'd put it in the tour pack, and YOU said fairing...........Geesh, my reading comprehension is S-L-O-W today !!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
I REALLY missed it...... I thought the 2nd amp was in the tour pack !!! WOW !! Is there room for 2 in the fairing ??
PBR300x2, absolutely. trim the gauge trim rings... Ive seen some where they say they don't have to trim the gauge bezels but I don't see how they'd fit otherwise.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:05 PM
sebby
5th Gear

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions. I though of putting the amp in the tour pack so i wouldn't have to power it if the tour pack was not attached. I figured it would be just as easy to put it in there since there is already power to it and connect to the speaker wires for line input. Also i would not have to worry about trying to cram 2 amps in the fairing. Is the RF PBR300x2 the best amp for this application or would you recommend other amps?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:26 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

you won't or should I say shouldn't use that power wire for your amp. It's no where near large enough to carry the current needed for that amp (or any amp) to operate properly. 10ga minimum is what's required.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 AM
sebby
5th Gear

OK, got it... UltraNutZ, do you know (or think) that 2 SS 4.520D amplifiers will fit under the batwing or is a single SS amp enough to drive all 4 speakers?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

a single 520D is more than sufficient to drive these 4 speakers very effectively. Wish you were around here so you could hear for yourself. I posted a video on here somewhere a while back with the 520D driving 4 MM651 speakers on my FLHTK that registered 120+db on a Extech Sound Level Meter (a weighted) and as perfectly clean and clear a sound as anyone could ever expect from a $135 amp and $135 speakers. Sure there's better out there and I never argued that fact but you'll pay the premium for that quality.

Quick Reply: Will this work, or am I just complicating things?