Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Rwj6001
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Install

Just wanted to get some info on installation of a new amp. I've read alot of the other posts and the "Step X step" install instructions for various situations, but didn't really find anything that fit this config.

I have a 2011 FLHTP that I recently added the Biketronics system too. I went with the 6.5" Titan speaker upgrade and also added 2 tweeters to fill in the lower gauge spots. I currently have the main speakers running off of the front speaker connections on the head unit and the tweeters running off of the back speaker connections.

So far, everything is good and sounds decent, but I was thinking about adding a PBR300X2 to bring the sound quality and volume up a bit. I don't need a system that rocks so loud you can hear it a block away, just something that doesn't distort quite as much as it does now when I have it blaring at highway speeds.

My biggest concern is power as I already had to tie into a hot wire that I located in the fairing wiring. But I have a few other questions as well, as follows:

1. Can I use the same power wire that is currently running my stereo head unit to also power the new amp? Or will I need to find a different power wire? Or do I run the amp off of the battery directly?
2. I was thinking of just running the main speakers through the amp and just leave the tweeters directly connected to the head unit, is this OK? Or should I run them all through the amp? If so, how should I connect them?
3. Does it matter where I mount the amp? Can it be mounted right on top of the head unit? Or should they be separated?
4. Is there anything else I should be concerned about? Anything that I may have missed?

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

you don't mention which head unit you have;

1.) no, you need to run a seperate power wire for your amp directly to the battery and make sure to fuse it there. You will then use the amp remote wire from the head unit to turn the amp off and on.
2.) i also feel this is what you should do. Once you put some power on those speakers, you'll probably realize you don't need those HT tweeters so I'd leave them on head unit power.
3.) Mounting the amp on top of the head unit it perfect. Use industrial strength velcro to secure it and for good measure you can zip tie it in addition.
4.) sounds like you've already done all the hard part so no sir you're not missing anything other than the power wire to the battery, make sure you have a good solid ground (ground it to the triple tree), and then read the sticky at the top of the audio forum on how to set your gains by ear. Also wrap those fairing speakers with polyfil to clean up the low end bass response.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Rwj6001
Intermediate

Thank you for the information UltraNutz! Sorry about leaving out the head unit info, if it matters it is a Sony CDX-GT575UP.

I'll be implementing all of your suggestions with the new amp then and looking forward to better overall sound!

A couple more questions though, wire gauge for the amp power to battery, Does it matter? Will the amp come with this already or is there a power kit with a fuse already that I can get? If I do it myself, what size fuse should I use? Sorry about the questions, I've worked with alot of stereo's but never hooked up an amp.

Thanks again!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

no sir they usually don't come with any wiring. 10ga wire is the minimum size wire to use for battery. On the fuse, you'd want to match whatever is in the amp which is a 25a. Yes sir you can get an amp kit but IMO it's not worth it. Autozone for 10ga wire, fuse holder, and fuse and then walmart for short rca cable and polyfil batting. Should be less than $30 total

Old 05-06-2013, 02:47 PM
diggerv
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
you don't mention which head unit you have;

1.) ... You will then use the amp remote wire from the head unit to turn the amp off and on.
I'm working on my amp install now as well. I'm using the stock head unit. The instructions in Step by Step I didn't see where you say to install the amp remote wire. Should this be in those instructions?

I don't have a lot of audio install experience so forgive me for not knowing.

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

are you installing the RF amp? If so, running your speaker wires from the head unit to the amp, the amp has an autosensing feature to turn it off and on. DO NOT use the remote in this setup.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:22 PM
diggerv
Tourer

are you installing the RF amp? If so, running your speaker wires from the head unit to the amp, the amp has an autosensing feature to turn it off and on. DO NOT use the remote in this setup.
Yes I'm installing the RF. Okay, thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it! These JM 5.25 can't handle much. I hope to upgrade to the Polks soon.

Thanks again!!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

yeah.. I'll be surprised if you don't blow those J&Ms with that amp...

Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 PM
diggerv
Tourer

yeah.. I'll be surprised if you don't blow those J&Ms with that amp...
No great lose. LOL, I have the amp gain almost all the way down and can't turn the volume up much past half way. Live and learn. Thanks for all the great information on here.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Rwj6001
Intermediate

OK, just an update on this post in case anyone else is reading...

I just installed the PBR300x2 amp, per instructions given by UltraNutZ in previous posts, and quite frankly I was expecting a little more from the amp than what I got.

I had the amp gain turned almost all the way up and when cranking the stereo volume to what I consider to be high (35 or higher) it finally started to rock pretty good, nothing spectacular but a definite improvement over just the stereo HU, however lower volumes were pathetic.

After doing some additional research, I found a post that spoke about the exact same issue and the OP suggested not using the RCA jacks for the amp input from the head unit. I was hesitant but decided I could always re-wire it back if it didn't work.

So, I connected the head unit to the amp using the speaker outputs instead of the RCA outputs from the HU. I had to cut the amp input RCA converter that was supplied with the amp to do it, but WOW, what a difference.

The thing absolutely screams now! my gain is set at approx 4-5 and now I can't even turn the stereo up past 25 without hurting my ears. When I'm cruising, people don't hear my pipes coming they hear the stereo!

I'm certain that this probably depends on the specific HU that you are running but in this case it certainly made a huge difference.

Quick Reply: Amp Install