Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:48 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sound cutting out

I have a 2010 Street Glide with (as far as i know) stock audio components. The problem started out with the sound cutting out after a few miles of riding. I could turn the power off then back on and it would play again for a while. The display looks and acts normal during all operations. Now all sound is gone at all times. I've never had a radio on a bike before until this one. I kinda like it when it works. Does this sound like a common problem with this radio?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This was a problem with the 06 - 08 bikes due to vibration damaged caused by broken fairing brackets, riser bolt impact, amps mounted to the top of radios and not secured correctly, etc.
We've seen it on the 2010, but not too often (usually associated with improper amp mount). Production date of the bike (if you know it) may give us an idea of what's going on.
Give us a call when you get a chance.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member

Build date was 9/09. Sound quality was crap at highway speeds so I'm assuming it has stock components.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:17 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scott01
Build date was 9/09. Sound quality was crap at highway speeds so I'm assuming it has stock components.
The higher head riser bolts were still being used at that time.
Could be the cause

Old 06-06-2013, 08:14 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

easy way to tell is look at the bottom of the head unit. If you see marks from the riser bolts, pull it and send it to Tony @ ICA. They treat you right over there...

Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe this weekend I'll have time to pull the fairing and take a look. Is it worth fixing or is it time for an upgrade? Thanks for the input guys.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM
sl33py
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPGRADE!

if you go mid range on components and shop i think you can replace the HU (price varies depending on what you want it to do features wise), get speakers and add an amp (if $ remains), or add amp later if done in phases.

on a budget i'd do an inexpensive HU, + Biketronics or Hawg Wired kit (bracket and retains handlebar controls) ~$240, plus Polk MM651's ~$125, and if budget remains add an amp (SS 350D or RF 300x2) ~$100-$140. SS may have EMI FM interference, but apparently better SQ (so says UN who is the guy to know). Don't forget 6.5" adapter rings from dragonfly or cycle sounds or arc audio. ~$40

(above about $400 w/o amp)

A bit more $ maybe (some sales now), i'd look at the "Big speaker kit" or similar at Biketronics. 399 iirc w/ the Titan II 6.5" speakers and adapter kit. Since the new 7.1's are priced the same as the 6.5" titan 2's - call and talk to them i bet they'd give you that price w/ the 7.1's (bit better low end bass) and lifetime warranty!

still want to amp them - same amps above on a budget. Don't forget amp wire kit (yeah yeah UN i know you can get it individually cheaper) - ~$40 for 8-10g kit.

my .02 and GL!

Old 06-06-2013, 12:36 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

unless arc is giving you a discount, I'd pass on the adapter rings from them. Turns out from a couple of other forum members here ordered them from ARC and when received, they were in Dragonfly packaging. Just call Kevin @ Dragonfly, then give a 10% forum discount.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:02 PM
rbferg
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
unless arc is giving you a discount, I'd pass on the adapter rings from them. Turns out from a couple of other forum members here ordered them from ARC and when received, they were in Dragonfly packaging. Just call Kevin @ Dragonfly, then give a 10% forum discount.
If not mistaken, I believe they were ordered from WoofersEtc.com on eBay not directly from ARC.

Last edited by rbferg; 06-06-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:50 PM
sl33py
Tourer

As for HU's - go to crutchfield.com and start refining 1 DIN HU's w/ the features you want.

Personally i'd avoid "marine" units - More $ w/ less features and not really much help. Get the splashguard instead and be careful washing it.

HU's are somewhat cheap right now! Lots of features and a huge upgrade from stock.

Bluetooth, Pandora, HDRadio ... those are my requirements! Top of the line units are only 250'ish!

Let us know what you pick and GL!

Quick Reply: Sound cutting out