Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo option suggestions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Mental
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stereo option suggestions wanted

I have a new 2013 Street Glide. I have an older Hogtunes 24.2 amp with the speakers that came with the kit and I see they have a bigger amp now.

Should I just use what I have, upgrade to the bigger Hogtunes amp, or one of the biketronics kits replacing the stock radio. I cant afford to do an amp with the biketronics kit but would the better stereo sound better?

I appreciate any and all suggestions on what to do, quality vs money.

-Mental

Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Mental, you don't specifically state which speakers you have.

I'll be honest with you guys.. Most of these amps you find for these projects will work perfectly fine. 25w of amplified power is far more superior in sound quality and power itself than that of 25w of radio power. The weak link in most audio systems is the speakers. IMO, I would change out the speakers and you're more than likely to be very happy with that.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 07-28-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Mental
Cruiser

I believe they are the 902.2's that came in a kit with the amp from Hogtunes. The amp and speakers did sound better than the stock setup, but would the bigger Hogtune amp make a bigger difference? Also after seeing many problems with the HK head unit, thats why I as wondering how a Biketronics setup(minus amp) would compare.

I am trying to figure out which direction makes more sense both financially and sound wise. I didn't want to add the bigger Hogtunes amp and then realize a better head unit would have been a wiser choice. Not having heard any systems to compare to, I need guidance from someone who knows.

Thanks,

Old 07-28-2013, 01:48 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

lemme ask you this... if you went aftermarket head unit, would you go with something that plays CDs or would you go with something that has like a tune-try that houses an iPod inside of it?

Old 07-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Mental
Cruiser

I would get one that plays CD's/MP3's.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:30 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

the issue with that particular amp and an aftermarket head unit is the amp has no RCA inputs on it. so with that said...

here's what I'd do as time/finances allowed;
change out your speakers first. You might just find that this is really all you want/need for sound. This will make a big difference in sound from what you currently have.

then the amp and head unit at the same time (remember RCAs above).

Sony headunit as these are the most compatible with both the biketronics and hawg wired adapters but really any aftermarket head unit will work fine that has steering wheel control inputs. I would also choose a head unit that has 4v or higher outputs on the RCAs. This will be in the specifications of the head unit. (crutchfield has the best comparison tool I've seen to date)

Me personally would go

Biketronics BT7P1 7.1" in the fairing (make sure to wrap them with thin layered polyfil)
Sony or other aftermarket head unit
RF PBR3002 amp
Biketronics handlebar control module/install kit.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 07-28-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Mental
Cruiser

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and giving me a direction to go!

Old 07-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Mental
Cruiser

Ultra could you explain the thin layered polyfil wrap, what it is, how to wrap, and where to get it?

-Thanks

Old 07-28-2013, 07:43 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

yes sir... you can get it at walmart in the crafts section. it comes in a bag and it's the rolled kind. Don't get the stuffing/batting kind as it's hard to work with. Here's a link to the exact product I'm referring to and use on all of my installs. I can't seem to find the small roll that they have in the stores online but they do have it in a smaller roll that's like $9 vs the $17 for the larger roll.

FOR THE FAIRING SPEAKERS:
it's about 1/16 of an inch thick in layers. Cut 3 layers 12x12 (for each speaker) and tightly wrap it around each speaker tucking it in as you go around the speaker adapter ring. It will stay in place so do not tape it up or anything. Now put your fairing cap back on.

FOR THE REAR PODS AND LOWER PODS:
because these are smaller more contained spaces, only take 1 layer about 10x10 and line the inside of each pod/lower with it. DO NOT WRAP THE REAR OR LOWER SPEAKERS.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:40 PM
RussG69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultra.....Good thing your here....lol.

What does the poly-fill do for the speakers?

And should a guy NOT wrap his lid speakers either?

Thanks mang...

Quick Reply: Stereo option suggestions wanted