Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Polks in the rear pods

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default New Polks in the rear pods

I installed my Polk MM651's in the rear pods of my Ultra. They fit perfectly. Had to drill 4 new screw holds through the plastic frame on each pod, but that was a piece of cake. It's almost like those pods were made for this speaker.

And by the way, they sound great! Thanks UNutz for confirming the fit!!

Here's the MM sitting in the right pot just before placing on the grill and using a number 3 metric allen wrench to snug it all up:

Here is a shot of the left polk installed compared to the J&M rear upgrade speaker still installed in the left pod (the J&M's were good speakers):

Here's the MM sitting in the left pod getting ready for the grill and hardware:

And finally the completed install:

Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it!!!

Then again I am partial to polks...........lol. Take a look at mine and you will see the same grills in all four front speaker locations. I am running the mm6501's though but still the same look. The tweeter cups for the mm6501 will drop right in the center hole of the grill if you hone the diameter out a little.

I am soon fixing to add another amp and speakers to the rear pods and they will also be mm6501's. I just need to get my battery situation under control first.

Nice job and great set-up!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Thanks. You have an awesome setup.

Are your Alpine amps in the tourpak? If so, have you found the need for a cooling solution? My Arc 125-4 gets pretty hot back there. Case temps get up to around 140 degrees. I know it has thermal cut-off protection, but I have been trying to figure a way to duct some cool air to the fan intake on the case.
Any ideas?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:25 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

While the Polk speakers are good, their grills are just ugly. Rock on!

Old 08-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
While the Polk speakers are good, their grills are just ugly. Rock on!
They are certainly different, that's for sure!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:22 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
I

I am soon fixing to add another amp and speakers to the rear pods and they will also be mm6501's. I just need to get my battery situation under control first.
What is your battery situation ????

BTW,...the Polks in the pods look good !! How much better do they sound than the J&M ??

Old 08-05-2013, 05:27 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Thanks. You have an awesome setup.

Are your Alpine amps in the tourpak? If so, have you found the need for a cooling solution? My Arc 125-4 gets pretty hot back there. Case temps get up to around 140 degrees. I know it has thermal cut-off protection, but I have been trying to figure a way to duct some cool air to the fan intake on the case.
Any ideas?
Yes they are in the tour pack. My Alpines run very very cool. I can jam them for hours and placing my hand on them is only slightly warmer that it's surroundings.

Lets put it this way. I have a round collapsible HD soft cooler that I carry in the tourpack on day trips. It sits ontop of the Amps and is packed with ice and bottle water.
I can ride all day with no abnormal ice meltage. Doesn't matter in or out of the trunk, it keeps ice the same and my tour pack never gets much warmer than the ambient air outside.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
BTW,...the Polks in the pods look good !! How much better do they sound than the J&M ??
Thanks.

The J&M's that were in the pods were the 5.25" 2 ohm replacement speakers that they sell, not the 5.25" Rokkers.(although doubt there would be much if any difference in the two) They sounded pretty good with just the head unit driving them over the past two years.

So far, I really like the Polks. With my Arc 125-4, they sound very full. I run the Rokker XT 7.2" up front in the faring and I am pleased with them as well.

The Rokkers up front, with their higher frequency response, complement the richer sound of the Polks. I've found that over the years, the higher frequencies are what you hear above the wind noise anyway. The wind noise is a pretty good high-pass filter.

Testing at speed, and listening to just the rear pod speakers versus listening to just the front Rokkers, the front Rokkers blow them out of the water. That's not the Polk's fault, it's just where they are mounted...behind me and they are trying to compete with all that wind noise. But I still can hear them filling in the audio holes from time to time depending upon the song characteristics. None of this was a surprise and was actually expected.

I am still evaluating though, so later I'll have maybe better comments.

BTW, it was your sticky that inspired me to upgrade the sound system on my bike. It's nothing compared to yours mind you, but thanks for the motivation!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

BTW the serial number on my Polk speaker box is: AA265116010

UN..I know you are tracking this and I just remembered to get it for you. I hope they have the glue issue resolved.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:38 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
BTW the serial number on my Polk speaker box is: AA265116010

UN..I know you are tracking this and I just remembered to get it for you. I hope they have the glue issue resolved.
That serial is about 2k higher than all mine that went bad...hopefully they aren't an issue for you. Curious Joe, where did you get yours from?

Quick Reply: New Polks in the rear pods