Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk MM651's did fine!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:30 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Polk MM651's did fine!

Ran a set of new Polks on my trip from Southwestern Colorado to Milwaukee & back without any problems. The stretch across South Dakota was 105*. Ran the stereo the entire trip. I had the preset EQ set to "vocal", which reduces the bass allowing to play it louder and hear the highs/vocals without distorting the bass. I need to figure out if it is my gain settings, the amp, or just the nature of the beast with the bass. I like my music loud, and when it starts to get up there, it starts to distort. However, with the EQ set to "vocal" it was rather enjoyable all trip. No rattles or apparent speaker separation. 4200+ miles on the trip and all is well!

Last edited by yzergod; 09-18-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Da Shadow
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have missed an earlier post so I gotta ask why did you report this? Were you expecting a problem? I ask because I am wanting to upgrade my stereo so have been watching all posts for new info. I thought I had my mind made up a few times about which way to go but the more info I get the more questions I have. What kind of amp do you have? Thanks

Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Shadow
I may have missed an earlier post so I gotta ask why did you report this? Were you expecting a problem? I ask because I am wanting to upgrade my stereo so have been watching all posts for new info. I thought I had my mind made up a few times about which way to go but the more info I get the more questions I have. What kind of amp do you have? Thanks
He mentioned it because a few members here have had problems with the Polk MM651's self destructing. There are reports of a bad batch. There is a thread here that has the production numbers of the ones suspected to be bad. Search for it if those are what you're thinking of getting.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:51 PM
SIX6ONE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's good to hear, for me anyway. I just installed 4 Polks and they have been running solid for about a month. great speakers thus far. Time will tell.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:35 PM
GAZippoman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran my Polks for over 6 months and 6K miles before they gave up the ghost.
Could have been that i didn't have the SS 4.520 set on HP, and might have had the gains up a bit too high.

Replaced them with Focals. 4 ohm speakers, so not quite as loud as the polks were, but much clearer sound.

Polk realized they had an issue. Even though mine were not purchased from an "authorized" on line dealer, rep for Polk I was in touch with replaced my MM651's at no charge, I sent them my blown ones so they could research the issue. Many members here had issues with runs from 3XXx to 5XXX.

Just had them delivered today. Not sure what I'm going to do with them since I've already installed the Focals.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by yzergod
Ran a set of new Polks on my trip from Southwestern Colorado to Milwaukee & back without any problems. The stretch across South Dakota was 105*. Ran the stereo the entire trip. I had the preset EQ set to "vocal", which reduces the bass allowing to play it louder and hear the highs/vocals without distorting the bass. I need to figure out if it is my gain settings, the amp, or just the nature of the beast with the bass. I like my music loud, and when it starts to get up there, it starts to distort. However, with the EQ set to "vocal" it was rather enjoyable all trip. No rattles or apparent speaker separation. 4200+ miles on the trip and all is well!

That sir is called COMMON SENSE. Kudos to you for being able to understand when to lower that volume control.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:04 AM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZippoman
I ran my Polks for over 6 months and 6K miles before they gave up the ghost.
Could have been that i didn't have the SS 4.520 set on HP, and might have had the gains up a bit too high.

Replaced them with Focals. 4 ohm speakers, so not quite as loud as the polks were, but much clearer sound.

Polk realized they had an issue. Even though mine were not purchased from an "authorized" on line dealer, rep for Polk I was in touch with replaced my MM651's at no charge, I sent them my blown ones so they could research the issue. Many members here had issues with runs from 3XXx to 5XXX.

Just had them delivered today. Not sure what I'm going to do with them since I've already installed the Focals.
Would you consider selling it to me for a song?

Old 09-19-2013, 02:38 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
That sir is called COMMON SENSE. Kudos to you for being able to understand when to lower that volume control.
Thank you UN! I keep the remote in the glove box and cycle through the EQ settings to the bass setting for cruising through town. Sounds better with the bass on (especially with the poly fill behind the speakers), but that bass is lost at speed. Not worth blowing the speakers at above 55 mph.

Now, I'm wondering if swapping out the Kicker amp for the RF will allow for me to go louder without the distortion. From what I gather, the RF puts out a cleaner sound. Do you think it would be worth the time to swap them out?

Old 09-19-2013, 02:42 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

which model kicker amp is it?

Old 09-19-2013, 03:26 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
which model kicker amp is it?
Kicker PX100.2 amp