Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:00 PM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

So after sitting here for 90 minutes looking for that install with pictures thread for a pbr300x2 and infinity kappas I just KNOW I saw, you think I can find it again now that I'm actually ready to start??????

No. Can anyone point me in the right direction before my eyes start bleeding?

Old 04-19-2015, 12:10 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got a JL Audio CL441 Cleansweep coming in the mail. Found one factory refurbished for $169.00. If this works as well as think, I'll never have to bother with a dealer flash again...

Old 04-19-2015, 07:42 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
Got a JL Audio CL441 Cleansweep coming in the mail. Found one factory refurbished for $169.00. If this works as well as think, I'll never have to bother with a dealer flash again...
Chris, obviously after our discussion yesterday, I'm all ears on this one bud.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RF PBR300X2 with magic box and Infinity Kappas

I have been following this thread for a few months and did the upgrade with the following: RF PBR300X2, CS Magic box (wired according to directions), Infinity Kappa 6.5s mounted on the outside of the enclosure and polyfill. I have ridden about 300 miles since the weather broke a few weeks ago and not as impressed as I thought I would be. I have tried adjusting the gain but distortion comes in on the highs if I go above 5 on the gain. At 65 mph I can barely hear listening to FM with a half helmet. Trying to listen to my IPOD at those speeds is impossible becuse it does not have the gain that the tuner does. I have not messed with the dealer downloads because the CS Magic box was supposed to eliminate the need. I know that sound is subjective but volume shouldn't be and I don't have any hearing issues. I did verify all of the polarity was correct. It seems that I have something wrong because most seem very happy with this upgrade. Any thoughts on what I should look for next?

Old 04-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopit
Well I had pretty good luck mounting them inside. I've been out in the garage for an hour side by side comparing them for sound , one inside and one outside the pod. I can't really tell a difference between them.

I sealed it up pretty good though, that ring on the inside is so thin there just isn't much surface to work with like the out side of the pod .

I went to Lowes and got a $1.83 piece of pipe insulation with the adhesive seam. Electing not to cut the mounting pins down I used the insulation to wrap around the ring a little bit taller than the mounting pins, this is so it compresses a little when you bolt the speaker in.

I used electrical tape around inside of the ring to cover it so I wouldn't see the white pod surface through the grills and to help seal the insulation.

It's patch work as it's hard to work around the webbing and tight spots but I think it's worth it .

PS; Just running the stock Boom 4.3 no amp yet , and these sound so much better than the stock speaker's .
Thought I'd give an update since I've been able to ride a few hundred miles with this mod .

I'm vary happy with the sound considering I just replaced speakers , finally got out on a day when the wind was below 15mph and that was huge at 60 & 70mph. Going to change windshields soon , KW , LRS , Windspliter , haven't decided yet but I believe this will help also. I can't wait for this flash situation to level out so I can add an amp.

I think the key to mounting them inside the pods is a VARY good seal , the only thing I may do is add a dense foam seal between the pod and inner fairing. The pipe insulation I used is great inexpensive material for this IMO.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:31 PM
jester0618
Road Captain

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts
Default happy in the garage

Well, upgrade done. I installed Kicker CS67S speakers in the fairing. Used stock grills, just had to enlarge the hole for the screws on the speaker to allow a flush fit. The PBR 300X2 amp was a wiring challenge since I'm a mechanic, not an electrician. No flash, no magic box, and gain at 5. Loving it so far. I put everything together but then it started to rain.

Thanks to all that helped me. I still may pull the 4.3 out and use the Metra kit. We'll see

Old 04-19-2015, 05:15 PM
onewheat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
I have been looking at this option as well - do you think there is any chance of fitting one of these inside the fairing, considering there is already a 4180 in there?

Old 04-19-2015, 07:49 PM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, most everything went well with the RF PBR300X2 and Infinity Kappas. Got it wired and and just one trip to Lowe's for longer screws for the speakers. Fired it up and....... No power to the amp. 12.35 volts at the plug but no power light, no short light, nuttin. Amazon was kind enough to take it back even though I ordered it on 3/7.

All that work and no tunes. Calling RF tomorrow to see if they can shed any light on it. Time for bed..... At least all the wiring is done.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Steve Molander
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk
Well, most everything went well with the RF PBR300X2 and Infinity Kappas. Got it wired and and just one trip to Lowe's for longer screws for the speakers. Fired it up and....... No power to the amp. 12.35 volts at the plug but no power light, no short light, nuttin. Amazon was kind enough to take it back even though I ordered it on 3/7.

All that work and no tunes. Calling RF tomorrow to see if they can shed any light on it. Time for bed..... At least all the wiring is done.
I had the PBR300x2 in my RG Ultra. There is a trip signal you need to actually power the amp. Without the signal, the amp looks dead. I simply grabbed 12V from my accessory plug.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:12 PM
Steve Molander
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MinnesotaJoe
I just picked up my 15 RGS today. I'm an audiophile, and in the frenzy of purchase yesterday ordered the upgraded Boom! Stage II. After putting on about 25 miles today I'm not sure I'll need it. It adds $1500 to my loan. I'm wondering if that was a hasty purchase I should try to back out of..

Anyone had experience with the stock Boom setup on the RGS vs. the Stage II? Maybe that's its own thread?
I also just picked up my RGS on Saturday (Superior Blue). The stock sound isn't bad. But I'm still seriously considering an upgrade to at least the speakers. Probably amp as well. I used the PBR300x2 on my RGU, so miss that crisp, clear, power. Else I love what Harley is doing with the Rushmore Project. Some very cool upgrades on the new bikes!

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread