Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:53 PM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HU flash ?

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
Rockford Fosgate (forum sponsor now) posted this in another thread in case any of you missed it...

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rnt/r...dsonEQ-ADV.pdf

It's the "how to" for resetting your HD Boom Box Infotainment system to a flat eq curve for use with aftermarket amps. (Requires a visit to your dealer). I'd encourage anyone wanting to try this to print it out and bring it with you to the dealer.
Went to 2 dealers and called a 3rd believe it or not they have no idea whats going on or how to correct it. Not impressed with their knowledge base. I even showed them the printout from Rockford fosgate. So ended up ordering two hot boxes from cyclesounds done!

Old 07-24-2014, 12:24 PM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default j&m

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
I completely agree. John has actually been quite helpful with his last couple posts. He's now providing some help and it's appreciated.
I guess after listening to all the comments he finally decided to help instead of blowing his own horn. Way to go John.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 AM
lcjayhawk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those interested in the new Biketronics setup, here are a few pictures of mine:

These are their new brackets. They mount so easily. Bye-bye pods!

The open concept of these brackets allows you to access the notorious "PITA" bolts from outside the fork. Using the BT-supplied nuts along with stock bolts, it only took me about 10-15 minutes total to install both brackets, what took me about 1 or 2 hours previously with the pods.

BT nut and HD bolt. (Don't knock the flip-flops in the background - it was over 100 degrees here! )

The last pic is the finished product (amp wasn't installed yet).

Last edited by lcjayhawk; 07-25-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:05 AM
VmaX 600
Intermediate

well how do they sound?

Old 07-26-2014, 09:25 AM
lcjayhawk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VmaX 600
well how do they sound?
They sound good. Very clear at high volumes, and they do get loud. It was actually kind of deceiving; I didn't think I had it very loud, then I realized I couldn't hear my exhaust and my ears started hurting a little, haha. My one gripe would be that they don't have much bass. Very little, actually. Maybe I need to change something on my radio (no flash, using the Magic Box), maybe I'm expecting too much from a motorcycle speaker. I figured a 7.1" speaker would put out a little more bass than that. I have 6.75" speakers (Kicker CS67's) in my truck, and they have respectable bass (pushed by an amp as well). I've never had a bike with a radio on it before, thus never upgraded a sound system on a bike before. Maybe someone with more audio experience than I do can weigh in (UltraNutz, MontyCop, etc.)?

Old 07-26-2014, 11:48 AM
SG1858
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Biketronics

Originally Posted by lcjayhawk
They sound good. Very clear at high volumes, and they do get loud. It was actually kind of deceiving; I didn't think I had it very loud, then I realized I couldn't hear my exhaust and my ears started hurting a little, haha. My one gripe would be that they don't have much bass. Very little, actually. Maybe I need to change something on my radio (no flash, using the Magic Box), maybe I'm expecting too much from a motorcycle speaker. I figured a 7.1" speaker would put out a little more bass than that. I have 6.75" speakers (Kicker CS67's) in my truck, and they have respectable bass (pushed by an amp as well). I've never had a bike with a radio on it before, thus never upgraded a sound system on a bike before. Maybe someone with more audio experience than I do can weigh in (UltraNutz, MontyCop, etc.)?
I got my system being delivered on Monday. I had ordered Titan II 7.1 for the fairing and 6.5 Titan II ifor the rear pods with BT4180 amplifier. I am hoping to get better results then you Dude. I had my bike flashed at the dealer already just waiting for the units arrival.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 AM
indwind34
Novice

Originally Posted by njstreetglide
not sure why your having problems with this set up. maybe your magic box is defective?

have you tried getting your HU flashed with the amp installed ?
I'm beginning to think that the Magic Box is defective. There was plenty of time for the speakers to break in, (1200 mile trip last weekend) & was so frustrated that I rode the last 400 miles with it turned off. I don't know if this makes a difference but my amp is ground to the H/U not to the battery. Grasping for straws here! ANY suggestions welcome.
Head unit has not been flashed yet but can be done on Tuesday if nessesary

Last edited by indwind34; 07-27-2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: More info
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I am not here to pick on what B/T has done with their new speaker mounts for the 2014 fairing ,,,,, but when you acoustically allow the sound pressure from the front & back of the speaker cones to mix in close proximity ,,,, you will lose a great deal of bass response, which is what they have done by removing the acoustic speaker enclosures that are part of the 2014 Harley fairing speaker mounting design ,,,,,

Old 07-28-2014, 08:31 AM
lcjayhawk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
I am not here to pick on what B/T has done with their new speaker mounts for the 2014 fairing ,,,,, but when you acoustically allow the sound pressure from the front & back of the speaker cones to mix in close proximity ,,,, you will lose a great deal of bass response, which is what they have done by removing the acoustic speaker enclosures that are part of the 2014 Harley fairing speaker mounting design ,,,,,
Good point. That probably explains it. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 AM
4nic8
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use polyfill and sound deadening materials to create a better sound on the low end, I'd use dynamat or similar on the bat wing section facing front (the surfaces facing the speaker magnet) and wrap the speaker loosely in polyfill batting as shown in previous posts.

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread