Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:07 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagged Out
I have installed the RF PBR300X2, infinity Kappa 62.11i and the magic box.
As previously discussed i am not happy with the sound.
I tried the RF recommended flash (AMP 1 "No", Amp 2 "No" and 8 speakers) and it sounded extremely flat with no bass response. I can go into the audio setup menu and change the bass settings from zero to max and not hear any difference. I can hear a slight change when playing with the treble settings but it only add to mid range treble, not high end treble.
I had it reflashed to Amp 1 installed "Yes" and 2 speakers upper fairing/no amp. Sounds about the same, flat and can turn volume to max and the passenger does not hear it clearly at highway speeds.
Thinking about taking it to a stereo shop for fine tuning but am a little nervous about letting them take my fairing off!
Maybe next step is to remove the magic box.....
You do NOT want the flash AND the magic box....one or the other...

Old 09-19-2014, 09:09 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Bagged Out.......

You need to return the flash to AMP with Speakers and take out the Magic Box. It will sound like crap running both. IMO the magic box is not nearly the same results as the flash. I had tried both and stuck with the flash..

I tried the RF recommended flash (AMP 1 "No", Amp 2 "No" and 8 speakers) and it sounded extremely flat with no bass response. I can go into the audio setup menu and change the bass settings from zero to max and not hear any difference. I can hear a slight change when playing with the treble settings but it only add to mid range treble, not high end treble.
I had it reflashed to Amp 1 installed "Yes" and 2 speakers upper fairing/no amp. Sounds about the same, flat and can turn volume to max and the passenger does not hear it clearly at highway speeds.
Thinking about taking it to a stereo shop for fine tuning but am a little nervous about letting them take my fairing off!

Old 09-19-2014, 12:39 PM
sandmhale
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BaggedOut - same system

You and I have the same set-up. I've been playing around with the settings and I have it where I can live with it until I find better speakers that will fit the pods. I think Harley made it difficult with these pods.
Have you played with your amp settings? What I found works best is the amp set on HP (high Pass) with the crossover freq set to about 100hz. I originally had it set around 80hs but the speakers were distorting at loud volumes trying to reproduce deep bass I couldn't hear on the road anyway. For the amp gain I have it set on 7. On the bikes radio audio screen I set the treble -1 from middle and the bass I left flat in the middle. This so far has been the best I could get it to sound, although I wish the speakers could handle more bass before distorting. I think the magic box works fine and the amp has plenty of power, although I think maybe the ARC amp with an internal fan would be better for cooling.
I plan to try another set of speakers when I can afford it, so far the Hawg Wired were terrible in the pods and the Infinity are O.K. but I think could be better. I may try the Biketronic 6.5 next...although they are pricey.

What grills are you using and do you think they are hitting the speakers, particularly the rubber surround?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:57 PM
RoadKingClassicNE
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Upgraded Stereo Issue

I just had my stereo upgraded on my 2014 Limited with the speakers and amp. Now, when I start my bike, the sound is lower then with the stock speakers when turned up. After I get going down the road, I then go into audio settings and move the speed volume down to the second bar and the sound almost triples in loudeness. I can then move back to 4 bars on the speed volume and all works well and sounds great until I shut it off again.
Dealer told me to shut off the speed volume and that was causing the amp to "overload" but when I do this the sound is not even half as loud.

Any ideas of what is causing this? How do I explain the "flash" I have read about and how do they disconnect the DSP?

Old 09-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Bagged Out
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doobie/Gliding Joe - Thanks for the advice. I am going to remove the magic box and see what i can do about a re-flash. Have re-flashed twice, so far i havent been charged, hoping they remain patient with me.
Sand - I am going to open up the fairing and play with the amp seetings after i remove the magic box and re-flash (again).
Using the stock grills. Dont think they are touching but i will look again.
Really frustrating to add an amp and speakers and have such crappy sound. I really expected more.....

Old 09-19-2014, 07:13 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Doobie/Gliding Joe - Thanks for the advice. I am going to remove the magic box and see what i can do about a re-flash. Have re-flashed twice, so far i havent been charged, hoping they remain patient with me.
Sand - I am going to open up the fairing and play with the amp seetings after i remove the magic box and re-flash (again).
Using the stock grills. Dont think they are touching but i will look again.
Really frustrating to add an amp and speakers and have such crappy sound. I really expected more.....
Trust me... you will get more if you remove magic box, re-flash HU and ensure your grills aren't interfering and touching speakers

Old 09-20-2014, 03:00 PM
02BlueDeuce
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm running the RF PBR300X2, infinity Kappa 62.11i and the magic box set up on my 14 SGS and have been really happy with it for the 2 months its been installed until yesterday when I blew the left speaker. Has anybody else had trouble with blowing these speakers? I never even play the speakers above half way they where so good even at 80+mph. Don't know if its just a fluke and I should replace with the same thing or should maybe go with something else. I'm open for other speaker recommendations in roughly the same price range if anybody cares to comment. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:03 PM
sandmhale
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infinity or Kicker

Originally Posted by 02BlueDeuce
I'm running the RF PBR300X2, infinity Kappa 62.11i and the magic box set up on my 14 SGS and have been really happy with it for the 2 months its been installed until yesterday when I blew the left speaker. Has anybody else had trouble with blowing these speakers? I never even play the speakers above half way they where so good even at 80+mph. Don't know if its just a fluke and I should replace with the same thing or should maybe go with something else. I'm open for other speaker recommendations in roughly the same price range if anybody cares to comment. Thanks in advance for any replies.
I'm running the Infinity and I'm mostly happy, although not blown away by them. As I stated in previous posts, I started with Hawg Wired and quickly took them out, they are not good with the pods. I went with Infinity on a recommendation for UltraNutz and they work well...but as you say I don't know how long they will last. I was looking at the Kicker KSC-67, it's very similar to the lower price CS-67 that is getting good reviews but uses a silk dome tweeter instead of a poly tweeter. I really prefer silk tweeters, that and the 100watt RMS power handling are what interested me in those. If you want to stay in the same price range, you might consider the Kicker KSC-67, they are $99 on ebay. They also look a little thinner than the Infinity so might mount a little easier also. If you try them, let us know how they sound! Good luck!

Old 09-20-2014, 07:08 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sandmhale
I'm running the Infinity and I'm mostly happy, although not blown away by them. As I stated in previous posts, I started with Hawg Wired and quickly took them out, they are not good with the pods. I went with Infinity on a recommendation for UltraNutz and they work well...but as you say I don't know how long they will last. I was looking at the Kicker KSC-67, it's very similar to the lower price CS-67 that is getting good reviews but uses a silk dome tweeter instead of a poly tweeter. I really prefer silk tweeters, that and the 100watt RMS power handling are what interested me in those. If you want to stay in the same price range, you might consider the Kicker KSC-67, they are $99 on ebay. They also look a little thinner than the Infinity so might mount a little easier also. If you try them, let us know how they sound! Good luck!

Wish I could help, if your looking to switch to some awesome Focal speakers than I can..

Old 09-21-2014, 01:09 PM
QWKHOG
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have read through this and wanted to ask if HU re-flash is done through the USB port or CanBus connection? I recently installed the Arc Audio M.P.A.K. 8 kit and will need to flash to correct DSP. The install was involved but all fit really well.

The kit includes everything to install but switched out 12-gauge mains with 8-gauge direct from bat w/30 amp fuse off battery. No factory wire cutting w/kit

Here's a picture of amp install.

Attached Thumbnails The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread-image.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread