Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Old 10-14-2013, 04:55 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

STAY ON TOPIC PLEASE OR I'LL REMOVE YOUR POSTS - UN

I'm creating this thread as a go-to for all of us that are messing with the audio in our 2014 models with the new BOOM BOX stereo system. Please post any knowledge and info gained in reference to the new system. Include what you've tried out, what fits, what doesn't and how you did it. Pictures are a big plus and appreciated. Hopefully this will be a start up guide for those looking to upgrade. I'll start it off.

So I spent about an hour and a quarter on the phone today with Bill over at Biketronics. Bill is a great guy and I learned a lot for him. Wish more companies had guys like him. Anyhow, they have a brand new 2014 limited that they've been hacking away on to set what works, and how. Apparently HD did their homework with the new stereo. It has a DSP (digital sound processor) built in that optimizes the sound output to the (stock) speakers. This DSP is internal and non adjustable. What it does is adjust the equalization and power output to the speakers as you increase the volume. Which is why as you crank it up higher and higher, you actually start loosing volume to clarity. Thus as you approach max volume the DSP tells the radio to push more power to the speakers to fight distortion as opposed to increasing the volume. I've already noticed this effect on my own while riding on the highway.

On this same note, having the internal DSP greatly reduces your ability to just change out speakers to something from the aftermarket. The DSP is precisely tuned to the HD BOOM speakers and the enclosure their in. So if you just throw in some thing else without an AMP behind it, while they might sound ok at first sitting in the garage, they will loose clarity and experience "muddled" low end and "tinny" highs.

Also the new speaker enclosures will effect aftermarket speakers. They are not all that big when it comes to cubic inches of space, and can stifle the response of a good larger aftermarket speaker like a polk MM651 or Titan II. There isn't enough space inside the enclosure to allow for proper response or for the speaker to breathe. The guys are at Biketronics are experimenting with using acoustic vents to fix this issue and trick the speaker into performing like it is in a larger enclosure.

Now when you add an amp to the set up, you will get better response because your getting more power to the speakers, but that DSP will still mess things up. What the guys Biketronics have found, is that when HD does a BOOM system upgrade, they flash the stereo to work with an amp. Apparently there are two different Flashes, one for the BOOM upgrade with the in faring amp for two or four speakers, and the 2nd for the CVO setup. I'm told these flash updates really help when adding aftermarket speakers and an amp. What I'm going to have to find out is wether my dealer will flash my stereo for use with an amp even thought I'm not going to be using their BOOM crap.

Now for those interested in the Biketronics products (like me), their Titan II 6.5 inch speakers will fit in the stock fairing enclosures with very little modification. The little plastic "locating" nub for the stock speakers on the outside of the enclosure needs to be cut off. Then you'll need to get a countersinking drill bit and drill out the holes in the Biketronics mounting ring to the point where the mounting screws lay flush. Thats it.

Bill also told me that filling the front speaker pods with lose polyfill really improves speaker response. Especially on the low end. He was quite surprised how well it worked in these new pods.

As for the rear pods, the Titan II's will also fit, but you'll need a thin spacer ring.

Note:Biketronics doesn't recommend installing their speakers in the new bike without an amp behind them. The combination of the DSP and power output of the stock 6.5 BOOM BOX really hampers the ability of these speakers to perform as they should.

As I posted in another thread, the Polk MM651's will also fit in the front/rear of the 2014's, however you need to do the same countersinking measure with the screws on the polks up front as well.

I'm considering going with full set up using all Biketronics gear. Two sets of Titan II's, and their BT4180 amp. The amp is quite pricey but its also quite impressive. And with a lifetime warranty, I'm considering trying it out. If I don't think its worth the money, I'll send it back. However if I do this install, I take plenty of pics and post a full review/tutorial here in the audio section.

Look forward to seeing what the rest of you come up with. Hope this long winded post helps some of you to get on your way with your upgrade.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-24-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good post. Keep it coming. Your information can help a lot of people in the coming years when they decide to upgrade.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Good post. Keep it coming. Your information can help a lot of people in the coming years when they decide to upgrade.
Thanks Pioneer. That's my intent here.

Update: If any were wondering, even given the size of the new HK Boom Box, a swap out to a double din radio of your choice in the future is out of the question. The engineering inside the fairing completely prevents it.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 PM
MikeDCop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post.

The only thing I've done so far is mess with all the settings and I found that "Global Presets" erases all the presets I already made.

I wonder if the infotainment system or the bikes main computer has a hidden menu like my Dodge Challenger has on its EVIC screen that allows for more tricks and features.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:03 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Default 6X9 in the fairing????

Stumbled across this today. Suffice it to say I am very intrigued. If I could get the BT 479's in the fairing I'd be a happy guy!

6X9 speaker adapter for 2014 batwing

Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

oh ,,, I don't think it is all that complicated ,,,,,,,,,

I made a few simple adjustments to the DSP on one of J&Ms 500w ROKKER XT amplifiers, left the Harley radio alone and improved the audio system on my 2014 ULTRA dramatically ,,,,,,

I was enjoying my system at 107 indicated down I-10 near Tucson, which is about as fast as my new 2014 ultra will pedal ,,,,,,,

there is nothing anymore magic about the 2014 system than the previous systems ,,,,,,,,,

all new J&M speakers & amps for the 2014s here http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=49 ,,,,,,,,,

and if ANYONE is still on the fence and wants to hear for themselves ,,,,, our 2014 Ultra, with the J&M 500w ROKKER XT amp is on display starting Wednesday this week, at ROSSMEYERS Destination Daytona, just off the freeway in Ormond Beach FL, at the big J&M audio trailer for BIKETOBERFEST ,,,,,,,,

Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

J&M is working very hard right now to provide our new ROKKER XT amp kits for the 2014s to be released October 25th ,,,,,

our new ROKKER XX speakers for the 2014s scheduled for release February 15th, 2014 ,,,,,,

see what we have so far at http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=49 ,,,,,,,,

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-24-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:41 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I added a little Alpine KTP-445U amp and four Kicker 6.5" speakers to my 2014 Ultra tonight, sounds good in the garage but we'll see tomorrow on the highway what it's really like. It's not a big amp, but I'm sure it's light years better than the amp in the factory head unit. Install was pretty easy ones I got the fairing boxes out. Just need to clean up the wire a bit with some wrap and it should be good to go.

Attached Thumbnails The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread-20131017_193643.jpg  
Old 10-18-2013, 01:38 AM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
I added a little Alpine KTP-445U amp and four Kicker 6.5" speakers to my 2014 Ultra tonight, sounds good in the garage but we'll see tomorrow on the highway what it's really like. It's not a big amp, but I'm sure it's light years better than the amp in the factory head unit. Install was pretty easy ones I got the fairing boxes out. Just need to clean up the wire a bit with some wrap and it should be good to go.
No RCA output too on the 2014 Head unit? from the picture looks like you are using line level input too...

BTW: what the GPS based on the 2014 Head unit? I heard it's not Garmin??

Last edited by uwiik; 10-18-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:12 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by uwiik
No RCA output too on the 2014 Head unit? from the picture looks like you are using line level input too... BTW: what the GPS based on the 2014 Head unit? I heard it's not Garmin??
Nope. No RCA. and the GPS is not Garmin based. It's a company called Naviextras out of the Netherlands.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread