Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water proofing head unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:16 AM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Water proofing head unit

I noticed during heavy rain some water would sip between the windshield and fairing dripping to the back of the head unit. This wasn't a problem with HD head unit, But I just changed my head unit to aftermarket and this became a concern. Biketronics kit (BT1005) comes with transparent sticky plastic that's supposed be wrapped on top and side to protect aftermarket head unit from water drip, but I decided not to use it, the plastic practically covers everything preventing heat dissipation on the head unit, with temp rarely below 90 here I am afraid of heat damaging the head unit.

What do you guys usually use to prevent water damage from the back of the unit? I am not concerned about the front side I have BT splash cover.

Thanks in advance folks!

Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by uwiik
Biketronics kit (BT1005) comes with transparent sticky plastic that's supposed be wrapped on top and side to protect aftermarket head unit from water drip, but I decided not to use it

there's your issue. Use it.. it's provided for a reason.

The heat dissipation is conducted by the metal fins on the back of the head unit. If you're using an amp with RCA inputs, that head unit will never get hot enough to be concerned with. Put the plastic on there

Old 11-05-2013, 09:07 AM
uwiik
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ

The heat dissipation is conducted by the metal fins on the back of the head unit. If you're using an amp with RCA inputs, that head unit will never get hot enough to be concerned with. Put the plastic on there
LOL!! You really are killing me UltraNutz...that means I have to take everything off again and work on it again....well well, gotta to what I gotta do.....

By the way, the fins on my head unit are on the side, then it will be covered by the plastic too....not arguing or doubting your suggestion, but can I just fabricate some kind of roof from plastic sheet attaching to the left and right metal bracket to cover the top of both amp and head unit, so both will be safe from water, does anyone ever made this kind of creation? This will be so much easier for me than taking off the head unit again and re attaching the sticky plastic.

Thanks again!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

sure you can.. and just for what it's worth. if you've got water leaking inside your fairing, you have other issues you need to look at. Water should not be getting inside your fairing. You can get from home depot really thin self-adhesive foam that can be adhered to the outer fairing lip along the edge where your screws go through to seal that up. Don't use anything thicker than 1/16" thick though.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:32 AM
uwiik
Tourer

sure you can.. and just for what it's worth. if you've got water leaking inside your fairing, you have other issues you need to look at. Water should not be getting inside your fairing. You can get from home depot really thin self-adhesive foam that can be adhered to the outer fairing lip along the edge where your screws go through to seal that up. Don't use anything thicker than 1/16" thick though.
Got it! Thanks dude!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:56 PM
BeerIsMyDad
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, do not trim the provided vapor barrier. I know Harley guys like clean edges, but the vinyl overhang provides an umbrella for the critical connections on the back of the radio.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:57 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by BeerIsMyDad
Also, do not trim the provided vapor barrier. I know Harley guys like clean edges, but the vinyl overhang provides an umbrella for the critical connections on the back of the radio.
exactly. BT doesn't tell you in the instructions to place carefully and trim. Just place it centered and fold it over.