Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Issue with Steering Wheel Interface

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help: Issue with Steering Wheel Interface

I've recently changed out everything with the OEM stereo. I went with a JVC headunit, a Biketronics 2180 amp, and Biketronics 7 inch Titan speakers.

BTW it sounds awesome.

The problem is with the steering wheel interface. I'm using the PAC-Audio SWI-RC.

I purchased the radio and SWI-RC from Crutchfield and it came with an installation kit that includes a Scoesch HD7000B wiring harness that connects between the OEM wiring harness connector for the radio and the SWI-RC along with a wire for the data path between the SWI-RC and JVC radio.

I have confirmed everything is wired correctly. In addition, I have clipped the wire (the pink/white) on connector 24 that connects to the left handlebar radio controls and grounded the proper end of that wire as directed to do in the SWI-RC instructions. If you have ever worked with these components you know what I am talking about.

I've talked with PAC-Audio technical support and have confirmed my wiring is correct. Problem is, while I am able to program left handle bar radio controls, I am unable to program the right handlebar radio controls. Its as if the SWI-RC doesn't even see me depress any buttons on that side.

I'm at a loss. If anyone has worked with these components and or knows what the heck I'm talking about, let me know if you have run into this and give me some thoughts on what my be causing this.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 PM
BeerIsMyDad
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try loosening the switch housing on that side. A pinched wire from the factory can cause all sorts of crazy things from the handlebar controls that won't show up until an aftermarket system is installed.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:29 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts
Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 AM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer

Thanks for the link. Looks like Munkee did this exact install a few weeks ago. I've dropped him a PM in hopes he can help. I've done everything how I'm suppose to wiring and connecting and cutting everything. I'm pretty accomplished at following instructions and going over things more than once. So that's why I haven't torn all my wiring apart yet. I'll await a response from Munkee and see if I can get this going. Thanks goodness it's freaking freezing out or I'd be chomping to get some air time with the new stereo. It sounds good in the shop with the fairing still off. LOL!

Old 01-07-2014, 02:14 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer

After a few more hours working on this thinking it was a pink/white lead issue; we have determined I have a bad wiring harness from Scosche. A BIG thank you goes out to Nutz who exchanged a half dozen or so PMs assisting me with my problem. You're the best Nutz.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 02-16-2014, 12:11 AM
coyote1000
Cruiser

Hello Jim I saw your post stating that you were having trouble with the Pac swi-rc. I have installed one in my streetglide along with the Scosche HD7000 kit. I have cut the pink and white wire as per instructions and attepted to program the interface. The module lights and flashes with the program but does not seem to recognize any input from the bar controls. I cant seem to figure out what is wrong. I saw you figured out you had a bad wiring harness from Scosche. How did you figure that out and what was the solution? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance Jeff.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:00 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Are you sure you tied in the pink wire on the proper side of the harness?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 AM
coyote1000
Cruiser

I cut the pink wire with white stripe that is coming out of the grey connector on the clutch side of the bike. I grounded the side closest to the connector and taped up the side going into the wire bundle. Is that correct? Should I try a different grounding point? I dont know how to post a photo or I would. Maybe I could email one to you. Than,s Jeff.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:51 PM
coyote1000
Cruiser

So I solved my problem. As Ultranutz stated I had grounded the wrong side of the wire. I swear I looked at that bugger 12 times and thought I had it right. I had to walk away last night and go back this morning to see the nose on my face. Thanks for help Ultranutz.
Jeff.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by coyote1000
So I solved my problem. As Ultranutz stated I had grounded the wrong side of the wire. I swear I looked at that bugger 12 times and thought I had it right. I had to walk away last night and go back this morning to see the nose on my face. Thanks for help Ultranutz.
Jeff.
LOL.. sometimes a breather, a beer, and a cig is all you need. glad you got her figured out.

Quick Reply: Help: Issue with Steering Wheel Interface