Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded - something cuts off the sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 AM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Upgraded - something cuts off the sound

Hello pro's,
I just upgraded the speakers in the fairing on my '13 SG to Hawg Wired ZX654-100 and installed a pbr300x2 after much research here on the forums. Decided to go w HW speakers over MM651's because they were same price but I read about some of the polks burning up, plus the bridged tweeter. I know the HW are 4 ohm vs polk 2 ohm, and thought it was better to have 4 ohm w an amp, but sometimes this gets over my head and I'm wondering if I got confused.
Anyway, on the way home from the installation (for which I overpaid) the music would cut in and out at about 70% volume. It happened right away on a couple of songs, but then it would be OK for the songs afterwards. i was using a burned mp3 disc and the type of music is heavy metal. So I turned around to let them know it was happening, and they told me that the stock Hk head unit will do that, thinking there is too much power going out to the speakers. True?
They also had one of the stock speaker grills reversed so while he was in there he switched from AP to HP and it sounded like crap.
So I got home and switched it back to AP, testing the gains by raising the volume with amp down, etc. The HW speakers don't distort at high volumes so I set the amp by ear. I also found that the power wire clip didn't appear to be snapped in all the way, and I'm hoping that it was the reason for the power cutting out as I'm sure it probably is.
So my question is if you know about any safety feature built into the HK or other components that would cause the sound to cut out?

Old 03-16-2014, 08:10 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

There is both a short circuit protection and overtemp protection that will shut down the HK audio circuit

Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Gnarl78
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Cross Audio
There is both a short circuit protection and overtemp protection that will shut down the HK audio circuit
After making some mods to the audio on my 2008 CVO Ultra I'm having a similar problem while riding with my speakers cutting out after playing for awhile at moderate volume (60 percent). The period of time between cutouts is variable, and the HK head unit stays on, but no sound from the speakers front or rear. After turning the head unit off, then back on the sound returns from all speakers.
My audio setup is: stock FLHTCUSE3 HK head unit, RF PBR300X2 mounted to a Ezzell bracket under the front fairing driving a pair of Polk MM651s in the batwing; stock HK boom amp mounted under the tourpak driving J&M 5.25" speakers HURK-5252GTM-XTC in the rear pods.
The other day I made a few adjustments to try to improve on the bass from the Polks, and it seems to have increased the frequency of the cutouts. I changed the PBR crossover setting from HP to AP, lowered the gain from 7 to 5, and wrapped the fairing speakers with 2 sheets of poly. I set the gains according to the instructions on the sticky in this section; and there were no cutouts with the fairing off. I can say there was an improvement in sound after these adjustments with better bass response, and the mids-highs are more controlled. The settings on my HK head unit are: Fader - 2 bars to the front, Bass & Treble + 2 bars, AVC - 1 bar. These settings produced the best, balanced sound from front and rear for me. When I returned home I ran the HK diagnostics per the sticky and I have the typical B2017 error code. Any and all suggestions are appreciated as I'm trying to minimize the number of times I have to pull the fairing to get it right.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gnarl78
After making some mods to the audio on my 2008 CVO Ultra I'm having a similar problem while riding with my speakers cutting out after playing for awhile at moderate volume (60 percent). The period of time between cutouts is variable, and the HK head unit stays on, but no sound from the speakers front or rear. After turning the head unit off, then back on the sound returns from all speakers.
My audio setup is: stock FLHTCUSE3 HK head unit, RF PBR300X2 mounted to a Ezzell bracket under the front fairing driving a pair of Polk MM651s in the batwing; stock HK boom amp mounted under the tourpak driving J&M 5.25" speakers HURK-5252GTM-XTC in the rear pods.
The other day I made a few adjustments to try to improve on the bass from the Polks, and it seems to have increased the frequency of the cutouts. I changed the PBR crossover setting from HP to AP, lowered the gain from 7 to 5, and wrapped the fairing speakers with 2 sheets of poly. I set the gains according to the instructions on the sticky in this section; and there were no cutouts with the fairing off. I can say there was an improvement in sound after these adjustments with better bass response, and the mids-highs are more controlled. The settings on my HK head unit are: Fader - 2 bars to the front, Bass & Treble + 2 bars, AVC - 1 bar. These settings produced the best, balanced sound from front and rear for me. When I returned home I ran the HK diagnostics per the sticky and I have the typical B2017 error code. Any and all suggestions are appreciated as I'm trying to minimize the number of times I have to pull the fairing to get it right.

That error code (in fact all speaker error codes) are not valid with an aftermarket amp in the system. The radio can no longer "see" the speaker.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Gnarl78
Tourer

That error code (in fact all speaker error codes) are not valid with an aftermarket amp in the system. The radio can no longer "see" the speaker.
Is there a way to determine if I have additional error codes? I'm assuming the head unit is cutting out the sound since I have different amps powering front and rear speakers?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor

use the up arrow to scroll through additional codes.
Remember, speaker codes will not be valid.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:57 PM
Gnarl78
Tourer

use the up arrow to scroll through additional codes.
Remember, speaker codes will not be valid.
I used the up arrow and the only error code being shown is B2017. Do the error codes clear when you turn off the radio?

Old 03-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor

I used the up arrow and the only error code being shown is B2017. Do the error codes clear when you turn off the radio?
No.
Error codes will either clear when the error is gone, or when the codes are reset...depends on the error and cause

Old 03-16-2014, 06:20 PM
Gnarl78
Tourer

No.
Error codes will either clear when the error is gone, or when the codes are reset...depends on the error and cause
Well, no other error codes and the audio didn't shut down today in the garage. What's your best guess on the cause - amp overload or head unit overheating? I'm guessing it is head unit related as it cut out both amps sound to the speakers?

Old 03-17-2014, 06:33 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Red face

Well, no other error codes and the audio didn't shut down today in the garage. What's your best guess on the cause - amp overload or head unit overheating? I'm guessing it is head unit related as it cut out both amps sound to the speakers?
May not be the head unit.
The HD amp under the tour pack can be an issue in this case.
Give us a call

Quick Reply: Upgraded - something cuts off the sound