Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RF PBR300x2 crossover questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Gnarl78
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RF PBR300x2 crossover questions

Do the crossover settings impact the load seen by the amp and the head unit from the speakers?

Old 04-02-2014, 12:52 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

no sir, not at all.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Gnarl78
Tourer

So, are the loads seen purely functions of HU volume and amp gain settings?

Old 04-02-2014, 01:45 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

no sir. the ohm load at an amp is purely controlled by the speaker wiring configuration.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Gnarl78
Tourer

I'm troubleshooting an issue with my audio in which the speakers (front and rear) cutout after a variable period. My HK head unit remains on, and I need to cycle it off then back on to regain sound. Naturally, this only happens on the road (as far as I've noticed) so my troubleshooting has been limited. Any troubleshooting hints? My setup is: 2008 CVO Ultra with stock HK head unit; RF PBR300x2 powering a pair of Polk MM651s (2.7 ohms) in the fairing; stock CVO HK amp under the tour pak powering a pair of J&M 5.25" speakers (2 ohms) in the rear pods.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:10 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Maybe give Tony a call @ Iron Cross Audio. This sounds like the infamous cracked circuit board issue with stock head units.

Check your fairing braces to make sure they're not cracked anywhere. both vertical and horizontal

Check the bottom of the radio to see if the riser bolts are hitting the bottom of it.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Gnarl78
Tourer

Last time I had the fairing off I checked the fairing braces and radio and didn't notice any problems. I believe the power, ground, and wiring to the speakers are good; and I followed the directions in the sticky for the install. I could be imagining things, but it seems like the audio starts to slightly distort for awhile before it shuts off? Yesterday, I rode over an hour before I had a shutoff, then had another two within maybe 20 minutes. I was thinking maybe there is an over-heating or high/low voltage/over-current condition that's causing the head unit to cut audio output to the amps. Does this scenario make sense?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:08 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gnarl78
Last time I had the fairing off I checked the fairing braces and radio and didn't notice any problems. I believe the power, ground, and wiring to the speakers are good; and I followed the directions in the sticky for the install. I could be imagining things, but it seems like the audio starts to slightly distort for awhile before it shuts off? Yesterday, I rode over an hour before I had a shutoff, then had another two within maybe 20 minutes. I was thinking maybe there is an over-heating or high/low voltage/over-current condition that's causing the head unit to cut audio output to the amps. Does this scenario make sense?
What is your entire setup sir?
  • Speakers
  • Amp(s)
  • speaker level inputs to amp or RCA inputs?
  • what ga power and ground wire used?
  • are power and ground wires routed directly to battery?

Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Gnarl78
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
What is your entire setup sir?
  • Speakers Polk MM651s in batwing, J&M 5.25" (HURK-5252GTMXTC) in rear pods
  • Amp(s) RF PBR300X2 in batwing powering the Polks; CVO Stock amp under tour oak powering the J&Ms
  • speaker level inputs to amp or RCA inputs? Speaker level inputs from stock HK head unit to the amps
  • what ga power and ground wire used? 10 AWG power and ground
  • are power and ground wires routed directly to battery?Yes, on opposite sides of the frame
Last time I was in the fairing I added a couple of thin sheets of polyfill wrapped around the fairing speakers as suggested. Could this cause the speakers to overheat as they're not getting much air cooling? I also adjusted the PBR amp gain (lowered it a bit from ~6 to ~4.5); and switched the crossover setting to AP from HP as I was hoping to get some more bass out the Polks. The BRT light on the amp would briefly flicker at higher volumes and the speakers were not distorting. In the garage the sound is pretty good. At speed the sound from the Polks is not as clear as it is in the garage.

Last edited by Gnarl78; 04-03-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:26 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gnarl78
Last time I was in the fairing I added a couple of thin sheets of polyfill wrapped around the fairing speakers as suggested. Could this cause the speakers to overheat as they're not getting much air cooling? I also adjusted the PBR amp gain (lowered it a bit from ~6 to ~4.5); and switched the crossover setting to AP from HP as I was hoping to get some more bass out the Polks. The BRT light on the amp would briefly flicker at higher volumes and the speakers were not distorting. In the garage the sound is pretty good. At speed the sound from the Polks is not as clear as it is in the garage.
beauty of polyfil is it doesn't trap heat.

I would;
disconnect 1 amp at a time to see if one or the other is causing the issue then go from there.

if you find that disconnecting one or the other makes the issue go away, then I would start from the amp looking at wiring and speakers that are connected to that amp.

Quick Reply: RF PBR300x2 crossover questions