Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:28 PM
jacobwtyler
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Help! Adding 4 speakers to handlebar Boom! Speakers on Softail Deluxe

I am trying to add 2 more speaker to the HD Audio Cruiser Amp & Speaker Kit:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...---speaker-kit

I tried just splicing in the 3rd and 4th speakers but the amp was obviously going into some sort of protect mode by cutting in and out at loud volumes. I needed a different bigger amp but I didn't want to lose my handlebar volume controls so I decided to just use the two H-D amps I already had which came with each speaker kit (one for each set) and splice the iPod audio in cable together. This worked perfectly but it gave me a 2nd problem: I now had two volume control handlebar mounts that had to be operated independently of one another. This will work if it has to as I've already come up with a clean mounting solution for each but it's not ideal as I usually ride solo and the rear volume control would be mounted in the back by the rear speakers for the passenger to operate. I am not giving up on the perfect solution of two amps and just one volume control in the front. I have tried my best to identify the purpose of each wire and draw a rough wiring diagram just for the purposes of posting this question of HDF so please take a look and don't laugh at my drawing skills. I really think it will work. My question is about the yellow wire which I've put a blue circle around. I may only need to splice in that yellow wire if it sends the signal to the amp to turn the volume up/down/off. In this case, I would not splice the accompanying red and black wires (obviously 12V and Ground) that I believe power the volume control as this would just duplicate the same power that the front amp is sending to the controls. (Could it damage the volume control to splice duplicate power and ground or would that be no big deal?) the other designation for the yellow wire could just be some kind of power relay since the hand controls do have a power button on them. If this is the case, how do the hand controls manipulate the speaker volume? Is it through the Amp Audio In Red/White/Ground wire bundle? I'm going to try to undertake this tomorrow afternoon so hopefully somebody will jump in and message if I'm about to do something that is going to blow the amp or hand control unit. It sounded awesome when I hooked it up with both hand controls, by the way.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring Help!-image.jpg  

Last edited by jacobwtyler; 04-22-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Change title to be more descriptive
Old 04-21-2014, 11:35 PM
jacobwtyler
6th Gear
Default More pictures and info.

By the way, the black dots are splice points. Here is a picture of some of the work I've done so far. And I'm going to solder and heat shrink all wires and run the under the rear fender and gas tank so it should look super clean with no wires visible at all when it's done. Also added some quick disconnects to the rear so that I can still remove the sissy bar whenever I want.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring Help!-image.jpg  

Last edited by jacobwtyler; 04-23-2014 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Add more photos
Old 04-22-2014, 10:00 AM
jacobwtyler
6th Gear

Bump. Need help.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:03 PM
jacobwtyler
6th Gear

Must be doing something wrong on HDF. I've never received any reply to any post I've ever made on here. I use this form a lot but only recently started posting. Anyhow, if anyone happens to stumble upon this thread, I could really use some advice. Yesterday, I finished soldering all the wires and heat shrinking them. I ran the speaker wires behind taillight and under the fender through the wiring conduit. I mounted the amp behind the ECM. I tied in all of the power to the relay and battery. I had to quit for today. The only remaining step is to splice in the audio and power wires between the front amp and hand control unit. I'm really thinking that I only need to splice in the red/white/ground wire and I don't need the red black and yellow wires that power the hang control unit. I think all of the volume is controlled through the first three. I suppose I will find out tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

You're not doing anything wrong. Everybody sees your posts, but there may not be anyone that has done before what you are attempting to do.

I wish I could help. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 PM
jacobwtyler
6th Gear
Default Thanks.

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
You're not doing anything wrong. Everybody sees your posts, but there may not be anyone that has done before what you are attempting to do.

I wish I could help. Good luck.
Thank you. Good to know I'm posting correctly.