Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom iPod kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 PM
shane_huskey
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boom iPod kit

I have a 2013 FLTRX that I put the Boom iPod interface on, and straight from the get go, I've had problems with this thing. I'm going to lay these issues out individually, and if anyone knows anything to try, please let me know.

Note: I have checked to make sure the wiring is good and tight. I didn't notice any shorts. I have reset the iPod to factory settings and completely reloaded it. I have reset the radio. The radio, iPod interface and iPod all have the latest firmware.

1) Both speakers work when using radio or CD, but the left one intermittently works when using iPod. Sometimes the left one works, sometimes it is completely silent and sometimes it just makes popping and static noises.

2) More often than not, when I start the bike, the iPod doesn't remember what I was listening to when I cut the bike off (i.e. if I was listening to genre on shuffle, when I start the bike the iPod just starts playing the first song alphabetically on the iPod.)

3) Fairly often, when I start the bike, the iPod won't play unless I switch the source to something else and then reselect iPod.

4) Somewhat often, whether I am using my iPod Touch or iPod Nano, the radio won't recognize the iPod at all, and just switches back to FM for about 15 seconds or so. It will then automatically try to play the iPod again, pop up that the iPod is not recognized on the screen and switch back to FM. If I turn the bike switch off for a few seconds, then back on, this will typically fix it, but it always happens again at some point.

5) Somewhat often, when using either the iPod Touch or iPod Nano (neither of which use a hard drive), the screen will read out that iPod's with hard drives will be damaged, press OK. This normally doesn't cause the music to quit playing, but it sometimes jumps into the issue that I mentioned in #4 above.

I know the standard answers are "make sure the wires are seated in the connector correctly" and "take doughnuts to the service manager" and "call Iron Cross" but I was just wondering if anyone that may have actually had these issues that got them fixed could share what the problem was.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:59 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by shane_huskey
I have a 2013 FLTRX that I put the Boom iPod interface on, and straight from the get go, I've had problems with this thing. I'm going to lay these issues out individually, and if anyone knows anything to try, please let me know.

Note: I have checked to make sure the wiring is good and tight. I didn't notice any shorts. I have reset the iPod to factory settings and completely reloaded it. I have reset the radio. The radio, iPod interface and iPod all have the latest firmware.

1) Both speakers work when using radio or CD, but the left one intermittently works when using iPod. Sometimes the left one works, sometimes it is completely silent and sometimes it just makes popping and static noises.

2) More often than not, when I start the bike, the iPod doesn't remember what I was listening to when I cut the bike off (i.e. if I was listening to genre on shuffle, when I start the bike the iPod just starts playing the first song alphabetically on the iPod.)

3) Fairly often, when I start the bike, the iPod won't play unless I switch the source to something else and then reselect iPod.

4) Somewhat often, whether I am using my iPod Touch or iPod Nano, the radio won't recognize the iPod at all, and just switches back to FM for about 15 seconds or so. It will then automatically try to play the iPod again, pop up that the iPod is not recognized on the screen and switch back to FM. If I turn the bike switch off for a few seconds, then back on, this will typically fix it, but it always happens again at some point.

5) Somewhat often, when using either the iPod Touch or iPod Nano (neither of which use a hard drive), the screen will read out that iPod's with hard drives will be damaged, press OK. This normally doesn't cause the music to quit playing, but it sometimes jumps into the issue that I mentioned in #4 above.

I know the standard answers are "make sure the wires are seated in the connector correctly" and "take doughnuts to the service manager" and "call Iron Cross" but I was just wondering if anyone that may have actually had these issues that got them fixed could share what the problem was.
I don't feel this is a wiring or i.X device issue. This all sounds too similar to a bad iPod module. I know how HD is with electronics purchases but I would at least try to get them to replace the entire unit, cables and all.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:24 AM
rb22858
Intermediate

I hVe had the same issues with mine. On my nano I use a rubber band to make sure it stays firmly in place. That solved that issue. Looks like also I need to plug the unit in every time I start the bike. Because if I leave it plugged in it drains the iPod. So if I plug it in every time it reads it and works with no issues.

Good luck but either way one of the best options on my bike. I love it.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was researching getting one of these, saw a lot of posts about how the HD ipod interface was not compatible with certain versions of the ipods (Even though instructions say it is), and folks were complaining of very similar issues. I went with the Iron Cross HDPD2 just to be safe.

I don't know if the compatibility thing is true or not, and you didn't mention which version nano you were using, but I believe the HD version was designed to be compatible with one of the more recent nano versions. If you are using an older version, then you might want to see if anyone you know has a newer one that you can try to see if that makes a difference, as I know others that posted on that topic said it worked for them. If yours is newer and that isn't the problem, then I would have to agree with UltraNutz that it is likely a bad module.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:48 PM
RonChannels
Stage II
Default Boom Interface Ipod

I recently purchased the Boom Audio kit with the Ipod interchange.

Problem, my new ipod nano, 6th generation. The stereo does not recognize nor will play any music.

I have tried everything and confirmed all the connects are correct. I even uploaded the software on the radio.

Nothing seem to work.

Has anyone else had this problem and what is the fix?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:10 AM
Harrycap
Novice

Do you have a older iPod to try it with because the boom interface says it may not be compatible with all devices.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:07 AM
RonChannels
Stage II

No, I'm going to order a 4th generation ipod.