Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped speaker mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 PM
KDUBYA
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stripped speaker mounts

I had a pair of 6.5" speakers put in my fairing a couple years ago. I recently found that some of the speaker mounts are stripped out - both the adapter rings and fairing mounts. Is there a fix for this? Any idea what caused it? Bad installation? Bumps?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you have to much bass... Seriously though I would epoxy the holes up and re-drill the mount holes hopefully it will be stronger than it was stock. I would say the original installer overtightened the screws and stripped them out those speaker need extra support the are a lot heavier than the stock ones.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Jetblack3
Tourer
Received 258 Likes on 116 Posts

I've done a handful of installs and have seen the same thing. It has been with the bottom outside screw holes for the speakers. With the adapter rings on the kits I've done "J&M", Biketronics, and Dragonfly the bottom outside screw is too short and will not grab. The factory screw taken out is too long.

What I've done is take the factory screw and split the difference between the length of the factory screw and the kit screw length and cut it down. Chamfer the end on a bench grinder and go with that. Has worked perfectly on all installs that I've done.

"Heads up to kit providers" just a little improvement opportunity here for ya.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by KDUBYA
I had a pair of 6.5" speakers put in my fairing a couple years ago.
key words here assuming that to mean you didn't put them in yourself? If so, then I'm inclined to believe a power screwdriver was used for this install.

I recently found that some of the speaker mounts are stripped out - both the adapter rings and fairing mounts. Is there a fix for this? Any idea what caused it? Bad installation? Bumps?
The speaker ring, simply rotate the speaker on the ring a 1/2" mark your new holes, drill them out and remount your speakers to the rings.

The fairing though.. hmm.. are the mounting studs destroyed or just stripped out? If just stripped, I would either inject some liquid plastic into the holes and let it set up overnight then drill out for proper screw size or use a plastic welder to melt some plastic into the existing holes. Just be careful if you go the plastic welding route as you don't want to weaken the studs with the heat.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Da Shadow
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a pair of 6.5" speakers put in my fairing a couple years ago. I recently found that some of the speaker mounts are stripped out - both the adapter rings and fairing mounts. Is there a fix for this? Any idea what caused it? Bad installation? Bumps?
If they are just stripped there is an easy fix I have used for various boats I have owned when holes in either fiberglass or plastic strip. Get an old fashioned flat toothpick, put it into the hole point first, screw the screw in with it. If what I am reinstalling is something I feel should be permanent I'll use a little superglue along with it but I don't think I would use superglue on your rings attached to the fairing. You may have to completely replace them one day. Don't force the screw and you may have to vary the depth of the toothpick to get the screw all the way in yet not too tight. You don't want too much resistance screwing it in because you don't want any further damage. You just want it to feel it is going to be secure. It works very well, I've never had a screw come out that I used this method for.