Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Streaming Sound from Harmon Kardon to Scala Headsets

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:45 AM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Streaming Sound from Harmon Kardon to Scala Headsets

If you use a helmet to helmet communication system and want to get your stock Harman Kardan receiver to stream audio to your headsets via Bluetooth here is one very clean and affordable way to do it.

Iron Cross Audio will install a "switched" headphone output onto the back of your receiver. It's a 3.5mm female pigtail. You'll need to pick up a Bluetooth streaming device. There are several of these available. I asked Iron Cross for their advice and they recommended the Sena SM10. The Sena unit comes with a couple of options to install to your bike. I used their rubber strap to the handlebar which puts it next to your finger controls on either side. It comes with different cord options for you to connect it to the new pigtail on the deck. Once you have it installed, you pair it with your headsets (it will pair to two helmets). IC's headphone output modification also includes a wired connection that they install at the same time. They include a rocker switch that you will install into a blank rocker opening on your fairing. I have an '09 Streetglide and had a couple of blanks that weren't being used. The rocker comes with plenty of extra wire leads and connectors. You do have to remove your ignition switch and your lower fairing cover to do this, but if you follow the instructions that come with the new rocker switch it's not a problem and everything goes back together just fine. That rocker switch allows you to change from hearing sound from your fairing speakers to hearing it stream to your helmets.

In my case, I have the Scala Rider Q3 Multiset. Pairing the Sena to the Q3 took maybe 30 seconds. We use in-ear buds from Shure which are low profile and therefore don't get mashed into your head with the helmet on. If you use a head cover like a Shampa before you put the helmet on, it will slide right over your buds.

Uninstalling the receiver was tough just because I have large enough hands that getting the bolts out of the deck took a lot of patience. I'd advise you to invest in a ball-tipped Allen key for this if you don't already have one because of the odd angle and the supports that are in the way. Disconnecting the wiring harnesses around the deck also helps with access. Reinstalling was much quicker and the rocker switch was straightforward. I ended up soldering my connections to the wires installed by IC on the deck but you could use whatever type of connections you want between those.

When you are done you won't notice anything different about your stock HK receiver as everything is installed at the back of the deck and inside the fairing. The only thing will be the Bluetooth streaming unit and that cord, which easily passes through the fairing opening around your handlebar and between the pigtail length and the stock cord length on the Bluetooth unit you'll have more than enough wire to tuck in. I used small zip ties on everything to keep it neat.

Here is the link to Iron Cross: http://www.ironcrossaudio.com
Here is a link to the Sena Bluetooth unit (Amazon has decent prices, I found a new one on eBay for $115): http://http://www.sena.com/product/adapters/sm10/

The Sena unit should pair up to any of the bluetooth headsets, including the Scala G9 series as well as other brands. I've read reviews where they were paired with Chatterbox and other ones as well, but you should do your due diligence to make certain.

I was also experiencing CD skipping on my receiver. I mentioned it to IC and they told me about a service bulletin that went out from HD some time back because Electraglide owners were complaining about this issue. The problem turned out to be the forward handlebar riser bolts being too tall and the bottom of the receiver was resting on the heads of the bolts. Harley sells a shorter Torx set for about $2.00 that you reinstall once you have the deck out. Those countersink and the deck doesn't hit them anymore.

Iron Cross ran a diagnostic check on my receiver that included a vibration test and they confirmed that the receiver was fine. They checked for marks indicating contact with the original riser bolts and found evidence that my receiver was being impacted by the bolts. They included a copy of the service bulletin with the unit when they returned it. They were professional and easy to work with, and very efficient. I highly recommend that you consider having them work on your HK receiver.

Sorry for the long write up, but I wish I had this information when I set out to do this upgrade to my bike and told myself I'd be sure to write it up for the forums.