Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Lowers with Speakers Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 AM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding Lowers with Speakers Question

Has anyone added lowers along with speakers (no amp) to H.K radio ?

Bike only has stock fairing speakers

Will i need a amp ?

Wires , how are they run ?

Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need an amp or you will only hear them in your driveway. I ran my wiring through the engine guard.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
You will need an amp or you will only hear them in your driveway. I ran my wiring through the engine guard.
+1 Start the bike up and you won't hear them at all. . .lol

Old 07-30-2014, 12:30 PM
soberjoe
Cruiser

I had Harley Boom lowers. Biketronics sells a wiring gizmo that lets you hook up to your HK after Harley flashes your radio for the rear speakers. I didn't have an amp, and I could hear them. My son rides with me and he said he could hear me much more then before the lowers.

Granted these were the Harley Boom which are only 5.25 speakers so they many not need as much power.

Seems there is very little talk on this audio forum for guys who aren't into the most powerful, mega speaker sort of set up. That's cool if it's your think, some are happy with the KISS method too.

Last edited by soberjoe; 07-30-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:50 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some are happy with better audio for WAY LESS money too !! HD is in the motorcycle business , leave the sound systems to us !!

Old 07-30-2014, 12:55 PM
soberjoe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Some are happy with better audio for WAY LESS money too !! HD is in the motorcycle business , leave the sound systems to us !!
Can't argue with that. The HD stuff is crazy over priced. I'm here to learn from guys like you. I've read a ton of your stuff, can't say I understand most of it but I'm trying.

How about you recommend a two speaker system that doesn't require an engineer to install for under $500 bucks. And in case you haven't seen my other post. I really would like it to play in mono. I only have one good ear.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by soberjoe
I had Harley Boom lowers. Biketronics sells a wiring gizmo that lets you hook up to your HK after Harley flashes your radio for the rear speakers. I didn't have an amp, and I could hear them. My son rides with me and he said he could hear me much more then before the lowers.

Granted these were the Harley Boom which are only 5.25 speakers so they many not need as much power.

Seems there is very little talk on this audio forum for guys who aren't into the most powerful, mega speaker sort of set up. That's cool if it's your think, some are happy with the KISS method too.
Good observation SoberJoe! KISS is good! But also keep in mind we are talking about the motorcycle environment and most of these guys have touring bikes i.e., Ultra's, street glides, road glides etc., therefore they like to tour and listen to great music while riding. In the wind at 75 -80 mph the 5.25 boom speakers in the lowers won't make the cut.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Good observation SoberJoe! KISS is good! But also keep in mind we are talking about the motorcycle environment and most of these guys have touring bikes i.e., Ultra's, street glides, road glides etc., therefore they like to tour and listen to great music while riding. In the wind at 75 -80 mph the 5.25 boom speakers in the lowers won't make the cut.
Not to mention some people aren't running stock exhaust. Wind, road noise, and exhaust are a lot for a stock radio to overcome.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:56 PM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Thought as much...Thanks

Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 PM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
I remember reading that post and said you could build me a system like that any day

No real bike stereo shops around here or i would take it in..amps . speakers in lids,
speakers in lowers ...hell i"d mount speakers to my helmet too