Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASWC-1 / Metra install AND PROGRAMMING (left push as MUTE) Guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:01 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Tomorrow

This is my project for tomorrow. Have Sony head unit I’d like to install...currently running the stock unit with 300X2 and a set of Kappa’s. I’ve re-read the instructions and stood in front of the harnesses and still a bit lost (I’m reading three different set of instructions here). So I’ve got

1. Sony Radio Harness. Connects to radio, then has open cables
2. 99/9600 23 Pin Harness with 12 pin on the other end
3. ASWC 12 pin harness. Has 3 open wires and handful shrink wrapped

Am I.

- Connecting red, black, yellow from the 23 Pin harness to the Radio Harness?
what about the two whites and grey speakers wires, also to the Radio?

- the other end of the 23 pin harness is a 12 pin. Plug that into the ASWC? Then plug the 3.5mm into the radio

That leaves out the ASWC harness

Anyone have a picture of this hooked up?

Old 11-20-2014, 02:04 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Following up.

Did the install today. I was running the stock HU with a PBR300X2 and Infiniti Kappas. I did the install for those according to instructions sticky’d.

Today I was installing a Sony DSR-S210X. Got it from Newegg for 79.00. I used the instructions posted for the 99-9600 as it came with 26 pin connector harness to a 12 pin with a few loose cables. I connected the 26 pin to the bike, the 12 pin to the AWSC and the instructions said to connect red, black, yellow and the matching 4 speaker wires (white, grey, etc.) to the Radio Harness and the 3.5mm to the radio. Wiring this up took about 30 minutes. Then I cut the pink/white wire and connected the side coming from the handlebars to the cig lighter ground.

At first things the handlebar controls didn’t work. AAWAV instructions provide an easy way to reset the box. I ran thru the steps and boom, it works like a charm now.

System sounds GREAT!!!!!!! Love the hidden iPod dock.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:45 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

correct - "dump" the cable that comes with the ASWC-1, as the metra kit has all the resistors already in place"...

I did not use the original HD audio wire harness, so ran wires directly from my amp to my speakers... HU to amp is via RCA cables.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:56 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

So I went out tonight and volume did not work while the bike was running. I could switch songs, stations, etc, not volume only worked while the bike was off.

????

Old 11-23-2014, 01:05 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
So I went out tonight and volume did not work while the bike was running. I could switch songs, stations, etc, not volume only worked while the bike was off.

????
did you recheck the wiring, make sure you "cut" the "pink/white" wire and extend the handlebar site of the wire and ground it...

make sure the ground is solid... measure continuity (DDM on low Ohm setting - if good it should be really close or on Zero, if not your ground is not solid) between your ground point and the where you extended the pink/white wire...
or even better, negative pole on your battery and the point where you cut the pink/white wire (LEAVE your current Pink/white ground in tact, do not disconnect!
PM me with your cell/home phone and I can (try to) help on the phone. might help speed up.... I will be in and out today but should be able to talk to you.
what you are experiencing really looks like a bad ground (did not have the issues but the fact you ONLY got Volume issues, makes me suspect the pink/white wire grounding causing the issue).
make sure you got a headset or similar on your phone LOL...

Last edited by AAWAV; 11-23-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:59 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

AAWAV

Thanks for the offer brother. I hooked up the ground from the pink wire and connected it directly to the frame. Works like a charm!

For the cost, and the write up you provided on programming this thing...it works great. I plan on writing up a review on my install here soon. I've used solely the advice given on this forum and found a few re-occuring questions scattered thru various threads. Hoping to capture it all in one review.

Thanks again.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:21 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

This is not a deal breaker either way but curious. Will this Metra install kit work with the chrome radio trim already on the bike or will it have to be removed?

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Old 12-28-2014, 04:47 PM
kdawg187
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AAWAV
got some questions on the actual install... hope these pics will help.

I cut the "pink/white" wire (2013 FLHX) AFTER the connector (yep - just cut the line)

and grounded the line from the connector (still handlebar site!) to the ciggy lighter ground. other end of the pink/whilte wire I just heat shrink wrapped and taped up on the harness...

harness I made with simple 1.4 inch plastic ribbed tubing... open ended 3 wires on the picture I connected to the HU audio connecter:
ground: black
Power: red
continious power for HU Memory: yellow
these colors are pretty much standard on all well known HU brands...
The pink wire that needs to be cut will be on the same side as the cigarette lighter correct? And does it matter which side of the connector you cut the wire as long as the end that leads to the handlebar controls is grounded to the cigarette lighter?

Old 12-28-2014, 10:07 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by kdawg187
The pink wire that needs to be cut will be on the same side as the cigarette lighter correct? And does it matter which side of the connector you cut the wire as long as the end that leads to the handlebar controls is grounded to the cigarette lighter?
Correct on both.

I cut it before the connector.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:42 AM
kdawg187
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Correct on both.

I cut it before the connector.
Thanks....I cut it before the connector also

Last edited by kdawg187; 12-29-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: ASWC-1 / Metra install AND PROGRAMMING (left push as MUTE) Guide