Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amperage draw of an amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts
Default amperage draw of an amplifier

Under what circumstances would an amplifier draw so much amperage it would drain your battery? Or does that only happen when you're running 2 amps? I have a Sony CDX-M30 head unit and a Boss R1004 amplifier which puts out 400 watts maximum. I have a pair of 260 watt Pyle 2 way speakers as well. With this setup is battery killing even a consideration? The amp is bridgeable but I don't have it bridged at the moment.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
Under what circumstances would an amplifier draw so much amperage it would drain your battery? Or does that only happen when you're running 2 amps? I have a Sony CDX-M30 head unit and a Boss R1004 amplifier which puts out 400 watts maximum. I have a pair of 260 watt Pyle 2 way speakers as well. With this setup is battery killing even a consideration? The amp is bridgeable but I don't have it bridged at the moment.

That amp is a class A/B amp. Not very friendly to a motorcycles charging system.

I wouldn't run that for very long with the motor turned off. Or for high volume for an extended period of time even with the motor running, IMO. You can drain the battery, damage your stator, or even drop the voltage so far on your electrical system that you could burn something out.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your set-up is only putting out 50 watts to 2 speakers/ 100 watts total.....Class D amps are where you want to be !! Even 2 amps won't kill the battery, ....well at least for a half hour !!
You may have another issue.

Last edited by GLACIERPEARL; 08-04-2014 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Your set-up is only putting out 50 watts to 2 speakers/ 10 watts total.....Class D amps are where you want to be !! Even 2 amps won't kill the battery, ....well at least for a half hour !!
You may have another issue.
Ok let me tell you that I know absolutely nothing about this type of stuff. That's why I'm asking. My wife bought me the head unit and speakers for our anniversary so I'm trying my best to keep those if at all possible. I bought the 4 channel amp because I plan to build my own custom tour pak with built in speaker mounts sometime this winter. The amp is not draining the battery or stressing out the charging system that I'm aware of but after reading here for the past 3 or so years I read that it could happen. What made me decide to get an amp is that if I turn the volume up a little more than halfway the distortion is so bad it's not worth listening to. Enter amp. I finished the installation today and set what they call the input level which I'm assuming is gain. It sounds pretty good but at some speeds I have to turn it up fairly loud which makes me wonder if I'm stressing out the charging system by doing that. Class A/B amp? Class D amp? I have no idea to what you are referring. Lol!