Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ipod interface

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 05:14 PM
BuzzL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ipod interface

Looking at the Iron Cross ipod interface for my bike. I have an iphone 5s with a Lifeproof case. Has anyone found a black lightning to 30 pin connector that will work with the Lifeproof case and this interface? I only see white ones for sale. Thanks

Old 09-08-2014, 06:13 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the white Apple 30pin Dock to Lightning adapter. I've searched a LOT but have yet to find a known-good BLACK version of the adapter, and of course Apple doesn't make one.

I have the original HDPDPLUS- my version came with single 6' long cable that has the dock connector on the end; there's no in-line quick disconnect. I ran mine up under the dash and seat and to the bottom of my Tour Pak. There I have the Apple adapter connected so the lightning end is snaked up into the Pak behind the liner. To secure the dock connection I wrapped it in electrical tape (which also hides the white, though my bike IS white!). With the wiring already coming out of the left front corner (Tour Pak lighting harnesses and the speaker wiring for the Tour Pak pods), it's pretty well hidden. Inside the TP, I got a CableJive 2' Lightning Dock Extender (male and female Lightning plugs; they NOW have a 6' version as well) so I can connect my iPhone 5 and put it in the document pouch so it's out of the way.

Realistically, unless you're running the i-device on your handlebars, the only time you're likely to see the cable is when you open the saddlebag/tour pak to connect/disconnect it. I would suggest using the Apple branded versions (mine is the .2m version) since it's pretty much guaranteed to work. Anything you'll find on eBay may or may not work as advertised. At least one of the eBay cheap versions of the Lightning to 30-pin Adapters I tried didn't work to play music- it only charged the phone and even that didn't work with all my old dock devices.