Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

'15 Road Glide w. Aerocharger Turbo

Old 05-24-2015, 11:14 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I'd love to see some before and after dyno charts and numbers.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Aerocharger_jerry
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
Does the Aerocharger turbo stress the internals of the engine ?

I was wondering about reliability factor with this system, say if I would install on my 2011 fhlrkc that has 20K miles on it with TW222 cams?
As far as turbo applications go, we've seen exceptional reliability out of Harley engines on stock internals. Building up the engine is up to the customer, but it's not something our techs would consider necessary for most bikes. Here's some further reading on the subject --> http://aerocharger.com/turbocharging-harleys/

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker;
I'd love to see some before and after dyno charts and numbers.
Here's some runs from the same 2011 SG 103
  • Dyno'd stock at the dealer
  • Dyno'd again with the Aerocharger system, running pump gas @7psi. Stock cam and internals/ no intercooler.

I'd regard these as mild numbers - an intercooler, turbo cam, and more aggressive tune would open up the door for more power.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:51 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

I was under the impression that a blower cam was needed. I've already installed s and s mr103 cams. How would a guy know what cams work with this system. Do you make systems that bolt up to breakouts. I ran across another setup on a breakout but it wasn't yours. If the stock lower end holds surely a clutch upgrade would be needed....

Old 06-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Aerocharger_jerry
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdonis
I was under the impression that a blower cam was needed. I've already installed s and s mr103 cams. How would a guy know what cams work with this system. Do you make systems that bolt up to breakouts. I ran across another setup on a breakout but it wasn't yours. If the stock lower end holds surely a clutch upgrade would be needed....
We're looking into options for Softails and Dynas, but right now we only have options available for baggers. As far as clutching, you will have to run a heavy-duty spring to prevent slippage. We go ahead and include one in every kit to save you some time.

Our tech Scotty offered a basic run-down on cam selection:

Different cam durations are going to change the onset of torque vs hp. A duration of 240 or less skews torque delivery toward the low end of the rpm range. 250 offers mid-range torque, and 260 would put it at the high end. Where do you want your torque? If the intent for your turbo bike is to be streetable, you'll get the most benefit from a cam that delivers torque at 3k rather than 5k, cause your engine will be running at 3k way more often. If you're building the bike for the drag track, you might want high-end power at the expense of low-end torque.

Aerocharger turbos offer a different power band, which can affect your choice of cam. Blower cams usually have very low duration, which is intended to compensate for the load that conventional turbos or superchargers would put on the engine. On the other hand, the Aerocharger is an ultra-efficient variable vane turbo, and it puts out exceptional low-end power. On our applications, since we're getting very early power anyway, we can get away with running a mid-range cam for bigger top-end hp.

Hope that helps. S&S also has a great write-up on their site about this, and you're welcome to call us anytime for advice on any performance build.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:25 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerocharger_jerry
We're looking into options for Softails and Dynas, but right now we only have options available for baggers. As far as clutching, you will have to run a heavy-duty spring to prevent slippage. We go ahead and include one in every kit to save you some time.

Our tech Scotty offered a basic run-down on cam selection:

Different cam durations are going to change the onset of torque vs hp. A duration of 240 or less skews torque delivery toward the low end of the rpm range. 250 offers mid-range torque, and 260 would put it at the high end. Where do you want your torque? If the intent for your turbo bike is to be streetable, you'll get the most benefit from a cam that delivers torque at 3k rather than 5k, cause your engine will be running at 3k way more often. If you're building the bike for the drag track, you might want high-end power at the expense of low-end torque.

Aerocharger turbos offer a different power band, which can affect your choice of cam. Blower cams usually have very low duration, which is intended to compensate for the load that conventional turbos or superchargers would put on the engine. On the other hand, the Aerocharger is an ultra-efficient variable vane turbo, and it puts out exceptional low-end power. On our applications, since we're getting very early power anyway, we can get away with running a mid-range cam for bigger top-end hp.

Hope that helps. S&S also has a great write-up on their site about this, and you're welcome to call us anytime for advice on any performance build.
Thanks Jerry. I'm sure the softail and dyna crowd would love the option. I know there is another kit available for the breakout already but I like the aerocharger. One member has installed the Other kit on his breakout, but yet to see the final outcome for power and reliability. Fingers crossed.....

Old 04-03-2016, 12:40 AM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

trying to come up with the coin for one of these for my 16 RGS

Old 04-28-2016, 01:09 PM
Deadstroke
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell ya it is worth it.. It is a nice system and easy to put on, not to mention the support from Aerocharger is awesome.

The following users liked this post:
Aerocharger_jerry (04-28-2016)