Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

Installing the Aeorcharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 06:42 AM
zer0t
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Installing the Aeorcharger

My Aeorcharger boxes arrived yesterday--thanks Aerocharger Jerry--and I could be more excited. I'm going to begin the installation today because I have a few weeks until I'll be able to ride again. I'm going to tape off all the painted parts and remove the exhaust and tank today. If it doesn't take very long I'll do a bit more of the work. I am hoping no more than a few hours a week over three weeks. I am also going to look for a tuner in my area who can do the tuning. I am open to suggestions.

I have the PC V with the preprogrammed map but is an auto tune worth the extra investment? I'm not looking to save dough at the expense of quality/experience. I do plan on having it tuned.

Last edited by zer0t; 02-01-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:28 PM
zer0t
Road Captain

Here are the boxes straight from the mailman.

All of the parts.

Turbo

Stock exhaust with mufflers in F/S section

Bags and mufflers off.

Rest of the exhaust gone.

Start the assembly

Progress

Lunch break and oil in the turbo. Tostitos and con caso cheese. It was pretty good and it makes me strong.

Turbo ready.

Turbo mounted..

Bracket

Muffler.

Almost there

All snugged up ready to go but I need to mount the PC V

The following users liked this post:
BrownSanta (04-03-2016)
Old 02-01-2014, 03:33 PM
zer0t
Road Captain

All in all it was a four hour gig. The instructions are fine but almost unnecessary if you've ever done an exhaust before. I'm going to finish the running bits next week because I don't have a crankcase vent system I can use. the screaming eagle air cleaner on the bike had a large air box which makes the screws for the football too short.

I'm also going to see if I can get the football painted the green on the bike or just a gloss black when it is all done.

I have to give it to aerocharger, the system fit like it came from the factory with no issues so far during the assembly related to the parts they've provided. I'm leaving in the 5 lb spring for now, but I may get adventurous and change that after a bit. I can't wait to give it a ride.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:04 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I ended up installing an oil catch can on my crank case breather outlet....you tend to get a bit of blow by at 10lbs of boost.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:06 PM
zer0t
Road Captain

Thanks I'm going 8 and bought a nice set of crank vent breathers. My PC V was the wrong model so I need to wait for then new one to come weds so I can finish. All buttoned up except the power commander.

If say easy install

Old 02-03-2014, 02:56 PM
zer0t
Road Captain

Two quick items for anyone who is considering doing this. I have a 2014 bike and the vacuum source off of the manifold is a 1/4" nipple and the barb ends of the BOV and MAP sensor are 3/16" requiring a vacuum line reducer. I am not sure what year that changed but it may have been '13. It's not a big deal just went to the auto parts store and bought one but knowing will allow you to get one up front if necessary for your year and make.

Also, the instructions, while almost entirely unnecessary, don't really go through the vacuum line setup very well. Not being extremely turbo knowledgable I assumed that I could T the 3/16" line going to the Power Commander from the manifold for the BOV. I spoke to the helpful folks at Aerocharger and they confirmed this to be correct.

If I had the vacuum line reducer and the vacuum T this would have been done in about 6 hours in one day. It's snowing like crazy here so no big deal to finish this Saturday.

Lastly, once I have it tuned I am going to have the football painted black and green if I can find a shop that can get the SE paint to match the bike. If it doesn't happen this year because of timing I'll drive it ceramic black and do it next winter.

Now to see who a good tuner is--I am open to suggestions.

Cheers,
Rob

Last edited by zer0t; 02-03-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:48 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Is that enough boost to where you will have too much heated air in the summertime? Has the manufacturer warranted against any such problem? I take it that the design of this item does not need the intake air to be pre-cooled?

Old 02-03-2014, 05:21 PM
zer0t
Road Captain

Does not require an intercooler, when one becomes available I'll upgrade to it anyway.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Regarding heat.... I run the same aerocharger here in Aussy (on a carb not efi) with 10lbs of boost and NO intercooler. She runs fine even when the outside temp is over 110F. We had a week of 109+ temps here a week or so ago and the bike ran fine in the heat.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:57 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Originally Posted by GraemeR
Regarding heat.... I run the same aerocharger here in Aussy (on a carb not efi) with 10lbs of boost and NO intercooler. She runs fine even when the outside temp is over 110F. We had a week of 109+ temps here a week or so ago and the bike ran fine in the heat.
A really expensive mod, though.

Quick Reply: Installing the Aeorcharger