Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

Icefields Parkway trip planning

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:31 PM
Cummins man
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Good choice...early September often has some of the best weather of the year in Alberta. Enjoy your trip!
Dynamike, is correct on the weather. September seems to be one of are better riding months now. Don't know what your planing for accommodations while in jasper, but Beckers Chalets is very nice. Just south of the town site, on the banks of the Athabasca river. Try to get a cabin, right beside the river and book far in advance! Hope you enjoy this part of Alberta!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:30 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by dsigrist
Ouch!, I guess they can charge what they want if they're the only game in town. Both our bikes have 6 gallon tanks so we'll fill up in Banff and again in Jasper which should make it a bit less.

Since we're going later in the year I think we're also going to do Kananaskis Trail which looks very scenic.
Fill up in Lake Louise and you'll be good all the way to Jasper, it's only 233 km. The turnoff for the 93 North to Jasper is only a short ride from Lake Louise townsite.
Watch for radar, they are notoriously rigid on the parkway.
Highway 1a(Bow Valley Parkway) skirts the Trans Canada in Banff National Park, it's a more scenic route to Lake Louise from Banff townsite and Johnson Canyon is right there too.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:52 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cummins man
Don't know what your planing for accommodations while in jasper, but Beckers Chalets is very nice. Just south of the town site, on the banks of the Athabasca river. Try to get a cabin, right beside the river and book far in advance! Hope you enjoy this part of Alberta!
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a booking at the Best Western in Jasper at the moment but I went ahead and sent an inquiry to Beckers to see if they have any vacancies for one of their 2 person cabins on the river. From the pictures it looks great.

I've been to Calgary and Edmonton many times for business but never into the Eastern side of the Canadian Rockies. We did a family trip to Whistler several years ago and really enjoyed it in British Columbia so now we'll get a chance to enjoy a bit of Alberta.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:32 AM
Cummins man
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a booking at the Best Western in Jasper at the moment but I went ahead and sent an inquiry to Beckers to see if they have any vacancies for one of their 2 person cabins on the river. From the pictures it looks great.

I've been to Calgary and Edmonton many times for business but never into the Eastern side of the Canadian Rockies. We did a family trip to Whistler several years ago and really enjoyed it in British Columbia so now we'll get a chance to enjoy a bit of Alberta.
Best western is fine, we have stayed there as well, right in town. You will be fine there, but Beckers is a great experience. I live very close to these places, so if you need anything, just let me know. Heck, might even show you to them! Just let us know!

Old 02-06-2016, 06:47 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,628 Likes on 3,212 Posts

X3 for Becker's Chalets. Best Western in Jasper is OK and they give a discounted rate to HOG members (my membership had expired when I booked there but they still took my HOG number). No A/C in any of their rooms though; might not be a factor in Sept. but it sure was for me in July!

And for sure do the Kananaskis Trail (Hwy. 40), beautiful scenery!

Old 02-12-2016, 12:20 PM
dsigrist
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cummins man
Best western is fine, we have stayed there as well, right in town. You will be fine there, but Beckers is a great experience. I live very close to these places, so if you need anything, just let me know. Heck, might even show you to them! Just let us know!
Thanks Cummins man! I received a confirmation from Beckers for 8 Sep so that's where we're staying and we're really looking forward to the trip.

After the Parkway and Kananaskis Trail we're headed south towards Yellowstone. I haven't decided whether to cross the border at Chief Mountain or Carway but I'm leaning towards Chief Mountain. I'd like to do Going To The Sun road but that will add another day so we'll have to see as the plans firm up.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:47 AM
Cummins man
Advanced

Thanks Cummins man! I received a confirmation from Beckers for 8 Sep so that's where we're staying and we're really looking forward to the trip.

After the Parkway and Kananaskis Trail we're headed south towards Yellowstone. I haven't decided whether to cross the border at Chief Mountain or Carway but I'm leaning towards Chief Mountain. I'd like to do Going To The Sun road but that will add another day so we'll have to see as the plans firm up.
Perfect! Hope you enjoy this part of Alberta! Shoot a pm if you need anything when up here.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:05 PM
Poppawhiskey
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely choose Chief Mountain crossing over Carway. That sets you up really nicely for a stop at Waterton Park if you have time, and continue north to Pincher Creek. Take Hwy 3 west To Hwy 22, go North on 22 to Longview, then take a left and ride north thru the Kananaskis to Hwy 1. Go west to Banff. You probably knew all of this already.

Cheers, Peter

Old 04-20-2016, 09:02 AM
dsigrist
Tourer

Originally Posted by Poppawhiskey
Definitely choose Chief Mountain crossing over Carway. That sets you up really nicely for a stop at Waterton Park if you have time, and continue north to Pincher Creek. Take Hwy 3 west To Hwy 22, go North on 22 to Longview, then take a left and ride north thru the Kananaskis to Hwy 1. Go west to Banff. You probably knew all of this already.

Cheers, Peter
Thanks for the route suggestions Peter!

Old 05-12-2016, 05:07 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts

I live about 3 hours south of the Parkway, and travel up to Jasper at least twice a year. Sept is a great month to go. You will find less bugs, and cooler nights. Make sure you stop at the Ice Fields and tour the building. There is food there, but as anything else in the park, expensive, and not all that good. Don't bother with the Ice Field Tour buses, a waste of time and money. You drive up to a place and stand on Ice. Big Whoop. You said you are moteling it, but if camping is in your blood, there is a Tent Only campground just south of the Ice Fields. But take warm bags, I have seen it well below freezing even in August up there.

A route alternative ....Now, depending on your time line, after you leave Jasper, head towards Kamloops. That is a great road. Then head towards Revelstoke. then head south to Nelson. then head over the Kootenay bay, and take the lake road down to Creston. From Revelstoke to Creston, via the Kootenay lake road, are some of the best motorcycle roads I have ever been on. I just did a bunch of that last weekend.

Enjoy your time in Canada, eh.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 05-12-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Icefields Parkway trip planning