Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

Icefields Parkway trip planning

Old 05-24-2016, 07:45 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the route ideas CanadianRocky2! We definitely enjoyed camping at one point in our riding career but alas age has curtailed that quite a bit.

Between this forum and some other folks we know from Canada we've gotten some great suggestions for our trip. Our biggest problem now is trying to fit a month + worth of activities into just 17 days.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:34 AM
skeetz
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Whenever you decide to go make sure to have all your gear real handy. Cool mornings and the unpredictable weather could give you like 4 days of different weather all within hours.

Beautiful country, you'll have a fabulous trip.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:18 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

We just returned from our trip and I can't thank each of you enough for your suggestions and recommendations. All in all the weather on the parkway was decent. The day of our north bound trip started out a bit wet but we geared up appropriately and even hiked up Johnson Canyon to see the falls. About noon things began to clear up. We stayed at Becker's Chalets; thanks Cummins man, great suggestion!

We woke up the next morning to temps just above freezing but we'd brought our heated jacket liners so it made the ride much nicer. The trip back down the parkway was like a whole new ride so I'm glad we decided to go both ways. We did the Kananaskis Trail and over to Okotoks for the night.

We skirted the edge of Waterton Lakes NP and crossed back into the states at Chief Mountain. Other than a short wait for other tourists at the border it was a far more scenic ride rather than going though Caraway.

My wife an I have both been to the US Rockies multiple times but I must say the Canadian Rockies are definitely a sight to behold and well worth the trip!

We spent two days at Yellowstone but ended up getting snowed on one day so just spent time in West Yellowstone and took a day off the bikes. The Norris to Mammoth road was closed for construction and the road from Canyon to Mammoth was close to motorcycles because of the snow so we limited our sightseeing on day two to the lower loop but still had a great time none the less.

When we got back to Texas we were greeted by weather in the middle 90's (35C) so we were longing for the cooler days in Canada.

Thanks again and ride safe!

Last edited by dsigrist; 09-22-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:57 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,619 Likes on 3,209 Posts

Glad you enjoyed your time in Canada.

Bet you enjoyed the current $ exchange rate too!